Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice

SB129

The other day, I heard a knock at the front door. Waiting there to greet me was a much anticipated guest, the post man, package in hand. I quickly signed his clipboard and rushed upstairs to my desk. There I tore open the package and inside was this.

http://i.imgur.com/qcanXL9.jpg

Earlier this week, I had placed an order for a certain Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice on the one and only chatterleyluxuries.com, owned and and operated by a user of this website that many of you may be familiar with, Bryant. The price, $225, a deal so good for this pen that I couldn't resist. The pen had shipped the next day, and the day after that it was in my hands... incredibly fast. I'll get back to bragging on Bryant later, for now I'll just finish the review.

At first glance, this packaging is unassuming and unspectacular. However, this plain box is no indication of what awaits inside. I hastily pulled open the carboard tabs, and out slid this baby.

http://i.imgur.com/ooo9G08h.jpg

The box, although the leather is faux, is still a very nice box. It is smooth and well constructed, with neither a blemish nor an imperfection. On the side of the box is a tab. When pulled out, there is a little Visconti product booklet inside. Nothing amazing, but still a nice touch.

http://i.imgur.com/wJhHxM4h.jpg

When you flip open the lid of the box, the pen in all its glory hits you like a train. It is wrapped inside a thin plastic sheet, and held in the middle of the box by two cleverly disguised clips. I do have a confession to make. In my haste I immediately took the pen out of its packaging, and later misplaced the plastic, neglecting to have taken photos first. These photos I have been including were taken today, a few days after first opening and using the pen, and are just to give you an idea of the pen's packaging and appearnce.

http://i.imgur.com/6ELVY9Sh.jpg

After taking the pen out of the box, the first thing that struck me was the feel of the pen. It is a bit lighter than I expected, but in no way cheap feeling, and is cleanly crafted with no imperfections I could find, even after thorough investigation. The clip is sturdy, the trimming is polished and clean, and the resin is smooth and well shaped. The resin swirl pattern on each pen is different, lending each pen an individual look, and the resin itself is very appealing and slightly glittery.

http://i.imgur.com/fNwEKSIh.jpg

Taking the cap off, the pen is no less appealing. The nib is a Visconti 23k Palladium Dreamtouch nib, and it is the exact color of the trimming. The nib is a bit larger than other nibs I have handled, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. To access the converter,you merely screw off the grip. The converter is okay. It looks nice and holds a decent amount of ink, but you can sometimes feel it wiggle when you write. Not a bid deal though.

http://i.imgur.com/4zd7an9h.jpg

Now, the nib's performance. I have heard many good things about the Dreamtouch, and some of them were true. It does, infact, write smoothly with little effort, and it is a springy nib. However, the nib for me was not perfect. The nib has toruble starting at times, and I tend to hold the pen more horizontal to the page, and this nib does not allow that. It could be because of the large tip, or whatever else, but to write well with this pen you have to hold the nib almost vertically to the page, or else it will skip, or ink flow will be sketchy. Also, I ordered a Bold nib with this pen, and I probably should have gone with a Medium. This nib is very wet, and with a bold nib, the ink can flow together between letters and blur the writing. This pen uses ink very fast aswell, and the converter is quickly drained. Finally this pen is springy... very springy. Sometimes, if you apply more than light pressure, the tines will spread far apart and ink flow will stop, like this

http://i.imgur.com/eOrFU8h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1oG8JNW.jpg

Here is a writing sample that shows line variation, drying time,and down/side strokes.

http://i.imgur.com/jxC8QYrh.jpg

All in all, I do enjoy this pen. To rate this pen, I will compare it to the TWSBI 580, a solid pen beloved by many.

Quality of materials: 5/5 would reach for it

Construction quality: 5/5 would reach for it

Appearance: 6/5 would reach for it!

Converter: 2/5 would reach for it

Nib: 2/5 would reach for it

Value: 4/5

Overall, 24/30 times I need to write something, I would reach for this pen over the TWSBI 580. When it comes to materials, quality of assembly, appearance, and value, the Visconti wins hands down. Some would say the TWSBI is a better value for the money, but at the price I paid for this pen, I think it has a better vlaue in this instance. However, when it comes to the nib and the converter/ink reservoir, the TWSBI takes it. Now, I had TWSBI win the nib only because the start-up issues, heavy ink flow, and pickiness of the Dreamtouch makes it a less practical everyday writer, albeit it is great for signing documents. I also had TWSBI win for converter/ink reservoir because the large ink capacity of the TWSBI is far more practical than the quicly depleted converter in the Visconti. Despite its issues, the Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice is a wonderful pen that is a joy to have.

As a sidenote, I would like to thank Bryant Greer again for his excellent service, wonderful prices, and general helpfullness. He was always quick to respond to any inquiries, and he provided the best pen buying service I have encountered yet so far. I plan to buy from him again (hopefully a Visconti Divina Springs!) and encourage ANYONE looking to buy a higher end fountain pen to check out his website.

Thank you all for reading my review. I know I'm no Brad Dowdy, but I tried my best and enjoyed doing it.

"SB129 knows his (bleep)"
-Gerald Ford, Sept. 1981-

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SB129

• Ghost Plane

• lovementos

• PolarMoonman

You might want to mention the issues with the nib to Bryant. He might be able to do something about that. I've purchased two Viscontis from him, and unfortunately, while lovely writers, both had skipping issues. I mentioned it to him, and he had me send it to Mike-It-Work, where it was tuned. Now, all is well :D

You might want to mention the issues with the nib to Bryant. He might be able to do something about that. I've purchased two Viscontis from him, and unfortunately, while lovely writers, both had skipping issues. I mentioned it to him, and he had me send it to Mike-It-Work, where it was tuned. Now, all is well :D

Yeah I talked to him. The issues really aren't that big. When I hold it right and get it writing it writes beautifully. I honestly think I was putting too much pressure on the nib. I was actually considering sending it to Mike to get it tuned. Did it really make a noticeable difference?

Yeah I talked to him. The issues really aren't that big. When I hold it right and get it writing it writes beautifully. I honestly think I was putting too much pressure on the nib. I was actually considering sending it to Mike to get it tuned. Did it really make a noticeable difference?

For me, it did. Mine kept skipping quite a bit no matter what I do.

very nice review of a nice pen ;),i love the pearlescent look of the white resin...and i don't like the "dreamtouch" too much...i prefer a sailor 21K like on a pro gear KOP

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

very nice review of a nice pen ;),i love the pearlescent look of the white resin...and i don't like the "dreamtouch" too much...i prefer a sailor 21K like on a pro gear KOP

Thanks! I've actually been looking to buy a sailor for a while. Can't decide between a pro gear or a 1911. Any thoughts?

The wet flow is normal for Visconti nibs; however, the startup issues and having to be held at a high angle to the paper are not normal. Mike Masuyama, or any well reputed nib technician, should be able to make it perfect. I also think you should contact Bryant.

The wet flow is normal for Visconti nibs; however, the startup issues and having to be held at a high angle to the paper are not normal. Mike Masuyama, or any well reputed nib technician, should be able to make it perfect. I also think you should contact Bryant.

I've talked to Bryant and he's been helpful. I hope it didn't sound these issue were big as I assure you they are minor. I'd be fine with the nib as it is, but I am probably going to end up sending it to Mike.

When Mike's done, you'll wonder why you were going to make do with a skipping nib. You'll also enjoy your Dreamtouch a lot more and see what we were raving about. :thumbup:

When Mike's done, you'll wonder why you were going to make do with a skipping nib. You'll also enjoy your Dreamtouch a lot more and see what we were raving about. :thumbup:

I've only hear good things about Mr. Masuyama's work, so I hope so! Am I correct in assuming he's done work for you before?

Absolutely! Both Visconti and Conway Stewart. I've found a handwritten note using the problem pen describing the difficulty and he makes the problems go away and the pens float over the page. :cloud9:

Absolutely! Both Visconti and Conway Stewart. I've found a handwritten note using the problem pen describing the difficulty and he makes the problems go away and the pens float over the page. :cloud9:

Nice! I'm definitely going to have him tune mine up, but it'll be a while because the wait period for him to tune a pen is 9 weeks at the moment:/

Beautiful pen. Lovely review.

Thank you so much!

Edited by SB129

Very odd name, but the pen is gorgeous....

It is a little strange, isn't it? But yeah, one of my favorite pens

• 3 weeks later...

It's a brilliant pen.

I am quite interested. Is the nib of the same size of homo sapiens oversize dreamtouch nib? Can the two pens exchange nibs? I have a homo sapiens with M nib. If this opera has the same nib as homo sapiens, I would like to have one.

Thank you for the nice review :)

...and my wish list just expanded by one. (Thank you for that. ;-p )

So lovely! I hope to pick up my Michelangelo from Paradise this week. I'm really loving my slowly growing Visconti collection. :wub:

Enjoy!

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Beautiful pen and nice review. I seem to recognize your avatar...are you a Busse fan also?

Very nice pen! I agree on Mike M and nib tuning. He worked on my HS Lava dream touch and I love it. He calmed down the flow and made the nib width thinner too.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!