Twsbi 580 Nib/feed Problems

AAN

I've used these three in many other pens without any trouble. In the TWSBI they all start wet then dry up.

So we do have the same problem. I hope, someone knows a solution.

This sounds interesting:

Removed the nib (a 1.1 i ) from the feed and ran a razor blade down the channel.

Now it works as it should.

Here, I need some clarification. The channel is 2 mm wide! Where did you run the razor blade? Right in the middle? At the sides of the channel?

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAN

• msolok

• watch_art

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used these three in many other pens without any trouble. In the TWSBI they all start wet then dry up.

So we do have the same problem. I hope, someone knows a solution.

This sounds interesting:

Removed the nib (a 1.1 i ) from the feed and ran a razor blade down the channel.

Now it works as it should.

Here, need some clarification. The channel is 2 mm wide! Where did you run the razor blade? Right in the middle? At the sides of the channel?

Right down the middle.

It helped with my specific problem, it may not with others.

Fountain pens are tricky little beasties, which is why the ballpoints pushed them out of the market. Since I don't have an expert around here, I have found I have had to teach myself.

It is true that the Consumer does have a implied right to expect the product he buys will function as it is presented. However, the remaining fountain pen market is so tiny, I am just thankful if I can get anything that works well.

Remember, if your well being depends upon it, and it has to write right every time, buy a pencil! ;)

YMMV

Hmm... Fortunately, I don't have to rely on a pencil as every other pen I own writes reliably. First time. I think that's what pens are supposed to do.

TWSBI is more then happy to respond. One of the best, if not the best Customer Service out there.See here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/245168-twsbi-in-case-you-have-problem-with-your-twsbi-pen/

No affiliation, just a very satisfied TWSBI 540, 580 and mini owner.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

As you can see from my previous posts, TWSBI have yet to respond to my email of 23rd April. Not even an acknowledgement.

I did point this out earlier today to Speedy on the thread you reference above.

Sorry to sound so peeved, I'm just frustrated that a pen i really like, won't write for me and that, in spite of all the references to TWSBI's excellent customer care, I can't even get a reply. I'm not expecting miracles; I happily bought a second nib assuming that the first was faulty and thinking that was the quickest way to get a working TWSBI.

Sorry to sound so peeved, I'm just frustrated that a pen i really like, won't write for me and that, in spite of all the references to TWSBI's excellent customer care, I can't even get a reply. I'm not expecting miracles; I happily bought a second nib assuming that the first was faulty and thinking that was the quickest way to get a working TWSBI.

Mate, I am with you all the way. My experience was slightly better in that I got an initial response from TWSBI, but the end result was still the same for me (no resolution, just sitting here with some poor performing pens). I too had heard all about TWSBI's excellent customer service (people even told me about how good it was in a thread I started before buying my pens) but I have been severely let down. I am sorry to TWSBI, but even just an APOLOGY for sending my faulty pens or being unable to help would be better than the responses I have received (I got no sort of apology at all in any of the emails).

I too have to admit about being a little relieved that other people are having the same issues with their TWSBI's. At least I know it's not just me! :P

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

Update. I have phoned Cult Pens, the supplier of the pen and extra nib and explained he situation to them. Spoke to a very helpful chap who said that they were quite happy to sort the pen out for me if I returned it to them. It's on the way back to them now.

Meanwhile, Speedy has replied that he thinks TWSBI's lack of response to my email may be due to its being lost. He suggests I resend it, which I will.

I'll keep you informed of any progress on both fronts.

Update on the update.

Five days after emailing TWSBI for the second time, still no reply, no acknowledgment, nothing.

Cult pens:

Tuesday - posted pen and spare nib back to Cult Pens

Wednesday - email from cult pens saying they had received my pen and spare nib, had refunded my postage and would test, adjust and re-test the pen and nib before returning to me. Apologised for delay this would cause.

Thursday - email from Cult Pens to say pen and nibs on their way back. Nibs were now writing well for them but to let them know if they weren't doing so for me.

Friday - pen and spare nib returned, with a note apologising for my trouble and a small gift.

Did a lot of writing with both nibs, they now write well with perfect flow and no skipping or drying. Well done Cult Pens. (Only affiliation as a satisfied customer)

Conclusions: TWSBI Diamond 580 a great pen, but don't expect it to necessarily to write properly on receipt. Don't expect any help from TWSBI. I acknowledge that many have written in praise of their service, but my experience couldn't have been worse. Not even an acknowledgement after two emails requesting advice.

So, if you are buying a TWSBI do so from someone who will fully support you if there are any problems. I had the pen for about a month, filled, cleaned and fiddled with it many times and still my retailer put the pen right for me at no cost to myself, including refunding my return postage.

Am I disappointed? With TWSBI, yes. If I am to be used as a beta tester then please let me know and reply to my emails.

Would I buy another TWSBI? Yes. I really like the one I have. I like almost every aspect of it, but I'd be very careful who I bought it from.

Hey AAN. Glad you got yours sorted. Cult Pens sounds like they gave you fantastic service.

I had the same sort of experiences with TWSBI and my pens. Unfortunately I bought mine directly from TWSBI, so I have no retailer to fall back on. After constant emails to TWSBI (and follow-up emails as they don't bother responding to the first ones) I was told that it is basically impossible that I received 3 defective pens, as their QC is too good for that to occur.

I got sick of dealing with TWSBI at this stage, and I have taken a look at my nibs using the zoom on my digital camera. All 3 nibs had some baby bottom on them. I used very fine sand paper and a lot of care and I have been able to fix the nibs and get them writing reliably without skipping (from my somewhat limited testing at this stage).

So, I now have my TWSBI pens writing well, but got 0 help from TWSBI for it. Talk about poor service. See Speedy's thread about TWSBI faults for the full details on what was in the last email I received from TWSBI.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got mine 580 few days ago. F nib

Start = good, wet, etc. but after writing 2 x A5 pages, pen started skipping (ink = Standardgraph Figbrown).

As this ink perform quite well in other pens, I've decided to dismantle the nib and take a look at the ink channel on the feed. It was too thin, no constant weight. So i took a cutter (small, thin blade), i have cleaned the channel - now everything it's OK.

I guess that this channel is clogged with some rests after the industrial cutting or the cutting is not don well from the factory (not so unusual for a chinese product).

BR,

I know the cost is very reasonable but why doesn't the quality improve?

Some of my $10 + $20 pens write flawlessly right from the start. Why don't these?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I know the cost is very reasonable but why doesn't the quality improve?

Some of my $10 + $20 pens write flawlessly right from the start. Why don't these?

Just for some balance here, and I am not saying that TWSBI does not have some quality issues they need to sort out, I have purchased 4 TWSBIs in total and have not had any issues with the nibs or writing. My experience has been more on the positive side, so naturally I have a different take on the pens. Just my 2 cents, not everybody has an issue with the pens.

• 1 month later...

It is very strange that the experience with TWSBI has been so varied for different people. In my case, I feared the worst when my TWSBI 580 (beautiful as it was, and smooth as it was when wet) started drying out after a couple of sentences; and to find solutions, I chanced upon this site and read the above complaints about their unhelpfulness. I was convinced that they are going to be just as unhelpful when to my email explaining the problem,I got a reply (from Philip Wang), to just hold the nib with thumb and forefinger and squeeze into the paper. It did not seem to be the right way to address a manufacturing defect; and that too one is which is obviously very common with the 540/580 batches.

However, to my pleasant surprise, i got a mail from Rebecca the next morning (without any further email on my part, as I did not have any expectations) that they are sending across a replacement nib, feed and section to address my problem; and a further confirmation mail that the items had shipped (this is only this morning)

So I must say that my personal experience with the company has been extremely pleasant (surprisingly so, given I feared the worst, especially being located in India and having to deal with TWSBI Taiwan directly). In fact, since the assurance of a replacement nib and feed , I took the old one out of the pen, ran a razor through the channel of the feed, washed it in dilute detergent solution and re-assembled it. It now runs extremely smoothly (and is comparable in smoothness to my 21kt gold nib from Sailor and 21kt Pd from Visconti, though with less flex than either). I'm extremely happy about how it is writing now, even without the replacement nib.

However, I totally agree that the QC needs to be better. Customers should NOT have to do this to get their pens working fine. And obviously this is a very common problem since the internet is filled with the same drying-up complaints (almost every review speaks of this) so it should have been dealt with by now. Otherwise this will slowly erode the initial goodwill of the brand.

So while I would give TWSBI full marks for customer service in MY case, I would still expect their QC to improve. Further, I am also disappointed that their customer service does nto seem to be consistent across the board, or maybe after the complaints in this forum, they are making an active effort to improve it from hereon.

Shuddho

An update on my TWSBI experience.

I purchased a 580 at the New England Pen Show. As Pendleton had been using it as a demonstrator it already had ink in it (type of ink unknown). About a week ago I finished using the ink in the pen and refilled it with J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen. Initial response was that the pen continued to work well. At some time shortly after the 2nd or 3rd writing stint a hard starting period ensued. This seemed to occur more on the initial down stroke and occasionally also might happen on an initial up stroke or even for several strokes in a row. Once the ink flow actually began thing operated normally.

Since that short period of slow starting, things have improved so that I have not encountered any further difficulties with the pen. For note, I do keep the pen snugly capped (and usually horizontal on my desk or in a drawer when not in use. I have no idea as to the influence this may have on the starting issue. As that is the way most of my pens are "handled" and I have never had similar problems I will continue to operate in that manner.

Finally, for this post at least, FWIW, I have heard the TWSBI referred to as a "cheap" pen and although not quite a throw-away, close. IMHO, $50.00 is not throw-away or cheap money, to me or at least to some others (If it's throw-away money to you, please feel free to throw it my way or even send me the nonredeemable TWSBIs). It's a relatively inexpensive pen, which offers, in my limited experience - only one TWSBI - a enjoyable writing experience. I have also had enjoyable writing experiences with my 78G ($10.50 7 of them) and my Aurora Optima - $495.00 list) as well as a range of others, including Chinese and vintage pens. As much as the appearance of a pen is aesthetically important to me, the most beautiful pen in the world would not last long in my pen larder if I did not enjoy using it, unless I viewed it as an investment for appreciation and later sale.

The pens I have and use have brought me at least four gifts - for which I am thankful...

• wonderful writing experiences
  • pleasure from acquiring and using them
  • additional knowledge and enjoyment of paper, ink and some repairing of vintage pens
  • a thoroughly superb experience in meeting and connecting with people form all over the globe, here on FPN.

That was way more that .02 worth, so I'll call it a dime and leave it at that.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I haven't experienced issues. I do agree that the 580 is a reasonably priced pen, but by no means cheap.

• 7 months later...

I have the drying up issue with the 580 Rose Gold.I emailed Speedy and he said squeeze the sides of the nib and push the tip down on a hard surface.I have got to be honest.I do not think much of that for technical support.I was expecting an exchange feed or something .Not bending nibs.I will not be buying any more TWSBI products.

• 2 months later...

Many/most fountain pens these days come with issues. One way to resolve these issues, keep your pens, improve their performance, learn something useful, and improve your skills is to develop some facility working on your own pens. It comes with the FP territory, and all it takes is a little care, time, research, and effort. Without this investment on the part of FP owners, the chances of frustrating difficulties and long-term dissatisfaction substantially increase.

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

OK, so continuing to take my own advice above, I've been kind of pulling my remaining hair out over a finicky new TWSBI broad nib that I put into my old TWSBI 530 a couple days ago. I disassembled the pen, cleaned out the old ink and silicone grease, installed the new broad nib, re-greased the piston using the runny TWSBI silicone grease, re-assembled it, and filled it with some Noodler's Army Green ink. Dang thing wrote wet for awhile, then started getting faint and finally going almost completely dry.

So I disassembled the new nib and section, scrubbed it down with a toothbrush and detergent water, but no joy. Then I ran a razor blade and fine sharp knife down the feed slot, widening it a little as I went. Still no joy. I checked that the ink was flowing to the feed from the pen barrel, and finally decided to completely disassemble the pen, flush out the ink, clean out the old runny TWSBI grease, and use just a tiny bit of some thick scuba silicone grease I also have. I filled the pen with some Iroshizuku Yama Budo, and the pen is writing spectacularly well now. I noticed the Noodler's Army Green ink looked a bit globby, so perhaps the runny TWSBI grease was interacting with it and causing trouble. There is no such globby appearance now with the Yama Budo ink. I think I'm going to get another broad nib from Goulet Pens for my other old 530 since I've got the hang of installing and tweaking it now.

And just to be on the safe side, I'm going to switch completely over to the thicker scuba silicone grease now in case the TWSBI grease was really causing the issue.

Edited by sotto2

Also, it occurs to me to add that the feed that came with the TWSBI broad nib was different than the feed that came with the fine nib that was originally on my old TWSBI 530. The slot channel on the broad feed was significantly wider than the very narrow slot on the fine nib feed. One of the things I tried was using the new broad nib on the old fine feed, and of course it wouldn't work properly. There were other subtle differences between the two feeds as well. The new broad nib assembly (feed, section, collar etc) is definitely made to be backwards compatible to both the earlier 540 and 530 TWSBI models, and the Goulet Pens website states this in their description of their nib assemblies.

Of course, it goes without saying that it was extremely useful (and instructional) to be able to completely (and easily) disassemble the pen to check and work on it. This made trouble-shooting the problem much easier, in part because I could see the gloppy looking ink through the clear barrel of the TWSBI and easily determine that there were no obstructions in the ink channel that were blocking the flow of ink to the feed. It was simply that the ink/grease mixture was not flowing properly through the feed to the nib. Once I started over by flushing out the old ink and cleaning out the old grease, the new ink flowed through the feed to the nib just fine. I'll double-check on this tomorrow to confirm everything is still flowing OK.

Edited by sotto2