Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• DrDebG

• jslallar

Daily writer for me.

~ Ghost Plane:

Ditto with gusto!

If my “cup-of-pens” exclusively held BB nibs I wouldn't feel limited in any way.

It has been a pleasant reality to know that BB nibs are capable of refined little strokes.

They're not for splotchy messes, but rather for expressive penmanship.

The more BBs, the merrier!

Tom K.

I have been using mine every day and am just loving it !!!

Loving the experience is what it’s all about.

is the bb more position- sensitive than the m?

The stubbish ones are more sensitive to the position of course

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I can get through 3 fully inked 149-sized pens in a day, so I indulge myself with pretty colors. DeAtramentis regular (bo scent, no sparkles, no archive concerns) are relatively cheap here in the US and come in fabulous colors, behave beautifully and clean up simply. I love the Herbin inks, but so few colors come in anything but the dinky tiny bottles that they seem determined to put themselves out of business. Grenat or Vert di Gris in the 100ml with a neck I could get my big nibs into would be nirvana.

I can get through 3 fully inked 149-sized pens in a day, so I indulge myself with pretty colors. DeAtramentis regular (bo scent, no sparkles, no archive concerns) are relatively cheap here in the US and come in fabulous colors, behave beautifully and clean up simply. I love the Herbin inks, but so few colors come in anything but the dinky tiny bottles that they seem determined to put themselves out of business. Grenat or Vert di Gris in the 100ml with a neck I could get my big nibs into would be nirvana.

that's a serious amount of writing!!! even with juicy B / BB nibs guzzling ink, it means no less than 10 to 15 sheets of A4 sized paper, with about 20 lines to a sheet. a lot of writing for these times when electronics pervade every aspect of our life and preclude the use of the written word.

I envy you the ink choices you have. All I get here is Royal blue, black, blue-black, and an occasional turquoise, red or green in Pelikan, Quink and Scrip. On my last trip to UAE (Dubai), I got myself MB Oyster Grey, Racing green and Blood Red. Sometimes I mix my own browns and mauves. Thats the end of my color variatioins.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I learned my love of writing back when all I had was Scrip washable Blue or Waterman Black. When I could get Emerald Green and Peacock Blue, I would create mystery shades by refilling my pen with random colors at random times and letting it mix in the pen.

• 4 months later...

I am new to the fountain pen world. I just purchased a 146 BB nib. This forum is fantastic foe newbie like me. Thank you all.

I am new to the fountain pen world. I just purchased a 146 BB nib. This forum is fantastic foe newbie like me. Thank you all.

Congrats on the acquisition. 146 is a great pen.

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

Thank you Zaddick, Ghost Plane, Tom K, and John-XXII.

I have been collecting 149's in XXF, XF, and F (all used). Last week I finally purchased my first new in box 149 XF. Now I am having buyers remorse...especially after seeing Tom's writing. I should have purchased a B or BB. I fill out forms most of the day and print in block letters so my question is should I buy a B or BB for my next purchase? (which will be this week). I am right handed and the way I write the point of the nib faces the left side of the paper and not the top of the paper...I know I write weird. What do you recommend B or BB?

Regards,

David

Thank you Zaddick, Ghost Plane, Tom K, and John-XXII.

I have been collecting 149's in XXF, XF, and F (all used). Last week I finally purchased my first new in box 149 XF. Now I am having buyers remorse...especially after seeing Tom's writing. I should have purchased a B or BB. I fill out forms most of the day and print in block letters so my question is should I buy a B or BB for my next purchase? (which will be this week). I am right handed and the way I write the point of the nib faces the left side of the paper and not the top of the paper...I know I write weird. What do you recommend B or BB?

Regards,

David

Have you considered an OB?

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Have you considered an OB?

Deborah,

Why do you say an OB...is it the way I hold the pen?

Regards,

David

Deborah,

Why do you say an OB...is it the way I hold the pen?

Regards,

David

Well, perhaps. Some prefer the way their writing looks with an oblique nib rather than just a double broad. Truthfully, I just sent a pen to MB to exchange a M for an OB, so I haven't written with one of MB's OB nibs yet. But I did a lot of research before deciding to exchange the nib. OB's add that extra touch of line variation which I prefer. I have several other oblique nibs on other pens and I love them. In truth, my writing is not that large. It is what I would call medium in size. But many times I want to go just a bit larger and with line variation. Yes, I too have EF and F nibs, along with many M's and B's. But my favorites are the stubs and obliques.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

As new to fountain pen and with a small acquisition of Montblanc 146. Is there any suggestions on what to buy for my first ink as a newbie. Thank you

I started with Montblanc inks, it felt "right" when purchasing my first MB (a Rose Gold 149). Depending on the colours you like, get a Limited Edition or a standard colour.

My personal favourite is Midnight Blue, which is a blue-black and Antoine de Saint Exupery LE is a close second.

Then come Royal Blue and Irish Green.

Haven't tried the Homer Greek Blue, but I like what I saw in the reviews.

It mostly depends on the colour that you want and. If you find MB inks expensive, there are lots of cheaper alternatives, also very good quality, such as Diamine (with tens if not hundred of colours available), Rohrer & Klingner, J. Herbin and the list goes a long way.

EDIT: Since we're in a BB-nib-related topic, I assume your 146 has a BB nib. If so, you will be delighted to see the great shading of the inks I recommended, particularly Midnight Blue and Irish Green.

Edited by adim

I agree with adim, although MB inks are more expensive. I absolutely love Unicef Blue, but hurry it has been discontinued (it's a limited edition ink). If you want a subtle color, consider MB Swan Illusion Plume, which is a gray-brown which shades wonderfully from a light tan to a darker gray-brown. It is also a limited edition ink and will cost a bit more. But it is very nice.

I also like DeAtramentis inks with my Montblanc pens. They are well balanced and there are many colors. Waterman is another brand of ink that is the "gold standard" for many fountain pen users. And I also like Rohrer & Klingner inks. The only color I have issues with is Helianthus (yellow) which can cause a harmless nib crud on the end of your nib.

Many people like less expensive brands such as Noodler's or Diamine. I am not a fan of Noodler's. They have lots of colors, but I don't care for the smell and some are not well behaved inks. And truthfully, my experience with Diamine inks has been mediocre at best. But others love these brands.

My suggestions is to order ink samples of several different colors and brands. Then try them and keep notes as to which color/brand you like better. Also refer to FPN's Ink Reviews ( I won't buy an ink without checking out the ink reviews.

BB is my preferred nib size when it comes to MBs. The broads can be just a tad underwhelming. I really like my BB nib 24 and even the 1990s 18k BB nib on my 146 shows a fair amount of stubbish line variation.