Bb Nib - For Everyday Writiing?

jbriley3

Only if modified into an edged nib, like a stub, could a BB grade uni-line nib become a daily writer. My new Kaweco (Bock) 14K BB nib will soon make that transition.

I've tried out both a B & BB factory nib at Toronto's Montblanc Boutique. These nibs just wrote wide, without much line-width-variation.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• DrDebG

• jslallar

Only if modified into an edged nib, like a stub, could a BB grade uni-line nib become a daily writer. My new Kaweco (Bock) 14K BB nib will soon make that transition.

I've tried out both a B & BB factory nib at Toronto's Montblanc Boutique. These nibs just wrote wide, without much line-width-variation.

There's a spectrum. Some stock B and BBs have a lot of line variation, some have less. Short of trying a nib, you can estimate the degree of stubbish-ness by examining the tip with a loupe.

• 4 months later...

Never too early. Never too late. You can always try a vintage pen with a BB fit a smallish investment.

fpn_1463781704__bb.jpg

I like seeing old topics revived, seeing how things stand the test of time etc.

I posted here in 2013, stating my love of the BB - and I have two BB's in my daily carry, today.

But, I also have some thinner nibs (F & M) - there are some tasks in my world which will demand a finer point.

BB is still my nib of choice.

Enjoy.

There a big advantage: you get a large sweet spot compared with an EF nib.

It depends how large your handwriting is.

Oh yes!

This stubby, soft MB 254 "Flügelfeder" BB nib can easily be a daily writer.

And,...has been.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I use a B nib sometimes for my everyday writing and it procides a nice stubbish line with good flow. It isn't something I would use for more professional writing however.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

I have been using my early sixties 149 BB allmost every day for a few years now.

fpn_1463900615__dpp_19490_copy.jpg

Edited by farmdogfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

~ After more months of use, it's clear that BB nibs make excellent daily writers.

Having typed that, when would an EF or M be used?

In my work there's a frequent need to mark university student papers or research reports.

Owing to the format, page space is limited, hence a narrower nib facilitates smaller scale comments or corrections.

Reading smaller paperback books also involves limited space for notes.

EF nibs are especially practical as the limited ink they lay down seldom soaks through pages.

I'm vision-impaired, thus benefit from larger computer font or handwriting. Yet in certain situations, writing with an M nib attracts less attention and is thus more comfortable.

For writing notes, manuscript drafts or personal correspondence, BB nibs serve most purposes with élan.

That Montblanc nibs in all sizes write so well is a blessing.

Tom K.

You can use whatever nib you want and like for every kind of writing. Be it EF or something very wide. It is important to make your writing special and attractive for yourself. ... Me using nibs from EF to O3B. Writing should be an interesting game and also the joy and fun.

Edited by Zdenek

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

• 2 years later...

I have been using my early sixties 149 BB allmost every day for a few years now.

fpn_1463900615__dpp_19490_copy.jpg

~ This two year old post with photo from farmdogfan was very useful in explaining the value of an older BB nib to someone.

I was unexpectedly contacted about an older model NOS pen. The individual was concerned that I might not like an older BB (or OBB) nib.

Remembering farmdogfan's post, I forwarded the nib and handwriting sample image, with my firm assurance that an older BB nib was not at all a dealbreaker for me...quite the opposite.

Having older archived posts like this is a valuable resource for specialized issues.

BTW: Although I don't recognize the ink in farmdogfan's image, I like the shading.

Tom K.

~ This two year old post with photo from farmdogfan was very useful in explaining the value of an older BB nib to someone.

I was unexpectedly contacted about an older model NOS pen. The individual was concerned that I might not like an older BB (or OBB) nib.

Remembering farmdogfan's post, I forwarded the nib and handwriting sample image, with my firm assurance that an older BB nib was not at all a dealbreaker for me...quite the opposite.

Having older archived posts like this is a valuable resource for specialized issues.

BTW: Although I don't recognize the ink in farmdogfan's image, I like the shading.

Tom K.

Hello Tom. The line variation farmdogfan's image shows comes partially from the springiness of the older 149 nibs. As you know the newer 149 nibs (and other size pen nibs after the 1970s) have much less tine spread ability with limited pressure. You can see it in his hash mark lines at the bottom of the image. No pressure on the left and pressure added on the right. I would expect a post 1970s nib to not offer that much variation and look like the lines on the left of the bottom of the image. Just something to keep in mind when developing expectations around a fun, new addition to the "cup-o-pens".

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Hello Tom. The line variation farmdogfan's image shows comes partially from the springiness of the older 149 nibs. As you know the newer 149 nibs (and other size pen nibs after the 1970s) have much less tine spread ability with limited pressure. You can see it in his hash mark lines at the bottom of the image. No pressure on the left and pressure added on the right. I would expect a post 1970s nib to not offer that much variation and look like the lines on the left of the bottom of the image. Just something to keep in mind when developing expectations around a fun, new addition to the "cup-o-pens".

~ zaddick:

Thank you for your very thoughtful comment.

As is apparent in what I wrote, I made no mention of “line variation” as that was not and is not of interest to me in his pen.

Rather, I mentioned the shading of the ink. What I was thinking about was the overall width of the lines, rather than any variation.

I'm sorry that I neglected to make clear that “line variation” wasn't a priority.

Nevertheless, for others who are seeking such qualities, your helpful comment is a timely cautionary note.

My “cup-of-pens” may indeed have something new within the next many months, which would be a couple of decades older than the 1970s.

BTW: This morning I'm finding the FPN Web site much more responsive after several days of lackluster performance.

Tom K.

for my cursive, I can't use a BB in everyday writing. if I'm printing, it works fine.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I tend to struggle using it in everyday writing apart from scribbling and jotting notes/lists. :(

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.