Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng

arkan15

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/820/noodlerskungtechengrevi.th.jpg

Notes: Overall a very dark, solid purple ink. It has a sort of indigo hue to it which makes it almost seem like a very saturated, dark blue with wetter nibs/pens. Almost looks black going down but dries relatively quickly to dark purple. This ink works very very well in my Dilli flex pen and allows maximum flex without railroading, probably because it's such a thick ink and goes down wet. Tried it in a dip pen and it left globs of ink on the page.

Smears surprisingly little considering how saturated it is, definitely much less than Noodler's Black. This ink is quite water-resistant as well, a plus for those taking formal notes but desiring a distinctive color.

Note: This ink feathers like crazy on cheap 20g copy paper and has significant bleedthrough. I imagine it is similar to performance in a Moleskin notebook.

(Water test done by rubbing writing sample for 5 seconds with Q-tip soaked in solvent)

-Jason

Jason's current collection: Lamy Safari, TWSBI Diamond 540, Pilot 78G, Noodler's Nib Creaper, Noodler's Konrad, Parker 45, Parker 75, Camlin 47, Hero 329, Sheaffer NoNonsense, FPR Dilli, Pilot Parallel, Esterbrook SJ, Wearever Deluxe, Waterman Skywriter

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• Yoda4561

• arkan15

Thank you for the review. This ink is one of my favorites because it just does not fade, does not smear and I'm pretty sure will out last me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The lack of smearing is because it dries, unlike noodler's black which needs contact with cellulose in the paper, KTC will dry waterproof even on plastic surfaces. I can't say I've experienced any bleedthrough or feathering problems on anything but the worst quality paper though.

This is one of the few inks that will survive my Great Noodlers Ink Purge. Its got the great qualities of Waterproofness and light fastness that I desire. Plus a very compelling color.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Nice review of what is probably my favorite ink. I always want it loaded in a pen, and is the ink I usually use for signing documents and writing checks -- but I also use it for stuff like the Sunday crossword. I can't say as I've noticed any feathering, even on newsprint. And it is the only ink (outside of *some* iron galls) that doesn't seem to rub off plastic-y surfaces such as Post-it flags.

It *does* have a tendency to sometimes clog my Konrad if it's not used daily; I often make it last longer when this happens by refilling with distilled water, rather than flushing the pen out immediately (unlike some folks, I don't automatically dilute it with every fill). Diluting it tends to bring out the purple tones more -- otherwise my batch is more of an indigo with a hint of blue-violet.

Have not tried it in an overly flexy pen. Thanks for letting us seek what that looks like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review.

I don't use it a lot since the bottle I have is a fairly bright purple.

Would have preferred something a bit more blue.

Dilution seems to reduce feathering and bleed-through.

PS: The image I see is only a small thumbnail.

It's ok when I manually enter the URL in a new window.

One of my top 5 inks. Love it and use it daily.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

An absolute favorite of mine. My bottle is sort of a dusty purple...if I had to characterize it...but I have used it mostly in fine nibbled pens. A Noodler's must have in my book.

Nice review, thanks for posting!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I'm always a little tempted by this ink. I don't like purples, but I do like blues. I'm going to have to get a sample of this stuff.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

Kung Te-Cheng is strange. I'm not sure how Nathan created it because it's so different from his other "bulletproof" inks. I've never seen any other ink retain full saturation after months of exposure to direct sunlight. If anything, it has properties more similar to paint.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

Kung Te-Cheng is strange. I'm not sure how Nathan created it because it's so different from his other "bulletproof" inks. I've never seen any other ink retain full saturation after months of exposure to direct sunlight. If anything, it has properties more similar to paint.

Blue heron has a similar formulation. Legal lapis despite being a cellulose reactive, non drying bulletproof, is also quite immune to the effects of sunlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the broken image link in the original post. Here's a re-upload to another image hosting site:

http://i40.tinypic.com/22lzd2.jpg

Jason's current collection: Lamy Safari, TWSBI Diamond 540, Pilot 78G, Noodler's Nib Creaper, Noodler's Konrad, Parker 45, Parker 75, Camlin 47, Hero 329, Sheaffer NoNonsense, FPR Dilli, Pilot Parallel, Esterbrook SJ, Wearever Deluxe, Waterman Skywriter

I don't use it a lot since the bottle I have is a fairly bright purple.

Would have preferred something a bit more blue.

I hope when I eventually get a bottle, I get one like yours! I'm not interested if it's too blue :P

I read that some researchers finally figured out what dye the ancient Chinese were using in some documents that are still around and he was trying to duplicate the ancient Chinese formula.

I hope when I eventually get a bottle, I get one like yours! I'm not interested if it's too blue :P

In that case, we could swap bottles I guess B)

One of my favorite inks! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

Love this ink! Hated it at first, because the sample dyed my white Kaweco Classic Sport a permanent blueish-purple. Nowadays I keep it in a Platinum Preppy and things are problem free.

Best thing is, I picked up the Preppy (converted into an eyedropper and still 75% loaded with ink) after a 6 month hiatus and the pen wrote perfectly without clogs or burps. ^^ Of course, it still dries if I leave the nib uncapped for too long, but it's good to know that keeping it closed keeps KTC as good as new.

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

• 1 month later...

I had a similar staining issue with one of Nathan's free pens that came along with the eyedropper bottle. I think I'll try loading KTC in a Lamy Safari as I have not used this ink for a while and I really do like it.

- OPG4711

Four months in direct sunlight AFTER being exposed to water in parts. KTC did not fade.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-07-06_12_small.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This ink has a smell that really lingers in your nose. I'm not sure how I feel about it - but the ink is nice.