Malware Spam Attack 2013-04-19

Admin

Dearest Members & Visitors to the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

As you may have noticed, we had some weird pop-ups around 13:00 UTC / 08:00 EDT. This was caused by a spam code injection into the board software, and we took immediate action to locate it and remove it before anybody here could be harmed by it. We had to bring the board offline to do so, just in case.

Furthermore the lines were very slow, and it appears that was possibly caused by a DDoS attack, not so much on FPN, but on other servers, apparently having an effect on our line speed as well.

Anyway, around 17:30 UTC / 12:30 EDT, the slowness was resolved, and a scan had been initiated by the server hosting team by that time already, while we were looking for very specific changes to the software, and taking the standard measures we normally do in these cases.

At 20:45 UTC / 15:45 EDT, the problem was located by the scanning software, almost 6 hours after initiating it, and fixing started.

At 21:00 UTC / 16:00 EDT the fix had been carried out, and we started refreshing the server software, to make doubly sure nothing else could be affected by this.

At 23:45 UTC / 18:45 EDT the software refresh had been done, and final checks and recaching were carried out.

At 24:00 UTC / 19:00 EDT after a final reboot, we are live again.

Considering the type of problem encountered, we will put the board software upgrade forward now, even if this means losing some functionality of the board temporarily. The new software is capable of dealing with this type of attack very effectively, while our current software can't.

What we will temporarily lose, is our beautiful skins. We will do our utmost, however, to get those back as quickly as possible.

Warm regards,

The FPN Admin Team

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to [email="fpnadmin@gmail.com"]FPN Admin email[/email], or directly to [url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/user/17-wimg/"]admin Wim (wimg)[/url].

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• YeOlCaptain

• SamCapote

• Sandeman

Well done, my friends

That was a hectic day for you, aside from your normal daytime jobs...

Thanks for your diligence in these matters. :thumbup:

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Great job getting the board back up and thank you for keeping us up to date along the way.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you for your quick and effective response to this attack.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I'd noticed other forums and even games with issues today, and guessed there were attacks on multiple servers. It sounds like you folks were all over this problem; thanks so much for all your time and effort in making FPN a safe place!

Lovely to have it back! :clap1:

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thanks for getting things back up again! :thumbup:

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Thank you, Wim. Once again, you saved the day.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

You are all an amazing group of volunteers. We are so happy to have William and all the rest!! :cloud9:

Many thanks. I know what a pain in the keyster this kind of stuff is and I get paid to do it. Your volunteer efforts are greatly appreciated. Thanks for putting in the long day today and every day.

Sometimes its not the speed but the direction...

Thanks for all the hard work. I really appreciated the way we were kept informed of progress, with all the updates. Well done. :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Many thanks for the great work and very quick response, highly appreciated. :clap1: :thumbup:

Nice job guys. thumbup.gif

I will never understand those attacks, especially when these are targeting innocent forums.hmm1.gif

Pelikan : M805 Souveran Black-Blue-Silver (F), Ductus 3110 (F), Classic Taupe M205 (F) Waterman : Carene Royal Violet (M) Faber Castell : E-Motion Croco Brown (F), Loom Orange (M), Ambition Rhombus Black (M) Pilot : MR Silver (M), MR Animal Mat Black Croco (M) Lamy : Safari Umbra Mat (M), Safari Black (M), Vista (EF) Pentel : Tradio Nature (M)

Thanks for all the hard work and the updates. :thumbup:

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

Thanks for the update, and THANK YOU for all the good work you all have done in order to restore FPN!!!!:):):)

thumbup.gif Thanks admin. team for your quick response to the invasion, as well as your diligence and persistence in solving the matter!

Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray