The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi 580 - Pelikan M800

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 240KAR

240KAR

Can’t Spell

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Location:Columbus, OH or Murfreesboro, TN or Fayetteville, AR
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 23:15

Posted Image
That wonderful logo!
Posted Image
Filled with black noodlers ink now because my con-peki is suppose to arrive tomorrow and I couldn't wait =).
Posted Image
The Fine line that the 580 writes it just how I wished it'd be. Fine but so so smooth!
Posted Image
Just a little size comparison between the 580 and the M800.
Posted Image
I love the logo on the TWSBI! So eye catching!

TWSBI - I received the pen in the mail today and it was love at first sight. Then I wrote with it! I can see myself using this pen for the rest of my college days. It writes so fine and still manages to be smooth as butter. This pen is worth twice what I paid.. I'm very happy with this purchase... Lamy Safari watch out, when someone ask me what first fp to get i'm going to direct them to TWSBI!!!

Pelikan - I have had this pen for a couple months and what can I say, it's a pelikan! I love the size and the look of this pen. unposted its perfect! Cannot go wrong with a Pelikan.

Sponsored Content

#2 nm4

nm4

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 00:58

Those are two great looking pens. People often label the TWSBI 5xx series as a budget m800 and the similarities are strong. Each is one of the best pens in its class, though I the Pelikan does step up the writing experience and fit/finish quite a bit. That said I enjoy both immensely!

Cheers,
NM
Cross ATX XF nib and Sheaffer 444X F nib for sale in the classifieds!

#3 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:29

Those are two great looking pens. People often label the TWSBI 5xx series as a budget m800 and the similarities are strong. Each is one of the best pens in its class, though I the Pelikan does step up the writing experience and fit/finish quite a bit. That said I enjoy both immensely!

Cheers,
NM

I couldn't have said it better myself. I am very impressed with TWSBI's fit and finish at a $60 price point. However, a gold Pelikan M800 nib—that's another story. But for the price of 10 or 11 TWSBIs. . . .
"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#4 FoszFay

FoszFay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:37

Now that is what I call great taste in pens.

It reminds me of someone...:roflmho:

Tom.

Posted Image

#5 240KAR

240KAR

Can’t Spell

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:35

^haha I have my 580 filled with Iroshizuku Kon-Peki right now and I love it! What ink is that in yours?

I think the next pen I get will be a lamy 2000, sailor 1911, pelikan 400NN, pelikan m605 in blue, pelikan m400 white tortoise, or a matte black pilot VP not sure if i'm sold on a VP or not.. I don't like the clip being right where you hold it.

As you can see I have a long list but no direction haha :unsure:

#6 tomgartin

tomgartin

coffee black, whiskey neat.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:56

Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested.  :)

#7 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 13:38

thanks,personaly i'll probably never have TWSBI as it is not desserved in my country and i don't like to buy pen on the internet
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#8 tomgartin

tomgartin

• Member - Gold

• 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 19:08

thanks,personaly i'll probably never have TWSBI as it is not desserved in my country and i don't like to buy pen on the internet

Not deserved? Do you mean that TWSBI is great but hasn't quite made it to your country yet, or that TWSBI is not good enough to be sold in your country? I'm a little confused, but I want to believe that you aren't disparaging TWSBI so coldly.
Thanks

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested.  :)

#9 240KAR

240KAR

Can’t Spell

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:13

Just ordered a 1.5 Stub nib for the Twsbi, along with a Noodlers Ahab and some Apache Sunset. I'm excited to play with a flex pen. B)

#10 frogbaby

frogbaby

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:23

Not deserved? Do you mean that TWSBI is great but hasn't quite made it to your country yet, or that TWSBI is not good enough to be sold in your country? I'm a little confused, but I want to believe that you aren't disparaging TWSBI so coldly.
Thanks

i think deserrved means that it isn't likely to be available in his country

#11 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:25

That is a shame,my Belgian friend, you are missing something. OK, there is precious little you could miss in that gem of a country in which you live, but TWSBI is one of them if you won't buy one on the 'net. Really, they are fine pens.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

#12 tomgartin

tomgartin

• Member - Gold

• 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:32

Thanks

i think deserrved means that it isn't likely to be available in his country

Ah, that makes sense. I knew something must be getting lost in translation. Thank you

- - -

#13 flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:09

I'm actually also belgian!

I bought a 540 a year ago at www.thewritingdesk.co.uk (im not meaning to advertise here), they shipped < 1 week in good packaging. Have used the pen ever since.

OT: funny thing is the 580 looks bigger than my 540. Am i wrong?

Edited by flyingdutchman, 21 April 2013 - 07:10.

#14 Nick T

Nick T

Artful

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 16:56

I'm actually also belgian!

I bought a 540 a year ago at www.thewritingdesk.co.uk (im not meaning to advertise here), they shipped < 1 week in good packaging. Have used the pen ever since.

OT: funny thing is the 580 looks bigger than my 540. Am i wrong?

The 580 and the 540 are the exact same size. But I do prefer the 580 because of the new nibs. They have been much better than the ones on my 2 540's.
Warmest Regards - Nicholas

#15 nikoskard

nikoskard

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 20:24

I must say that I am so excited with the 580 series and I can't wait to write with one of them.

I think is the perfect size and style for a serious every day performer.

I would really like to make a comparison with the faber castells I own.

I wish this day will not be so far...

Pelikan : M805 Souveran Black-Blue-Silver (F), Ductus 3110 (F), Classic Taupe M205 (F) Waterman : Carene Royal Violet (M) Faber Castell : E-Motion Croco Brown (F), Loom Orange (M), Ambition Rhombus Black (M)  Pilot : MR Silver (M), MR Animal Mat Black Croco (M) Lamy : Safari Umbra Mat (M), Safari Black (M), Vista (EF) Pentel : Tradio Nature (M) 

#16 sagitis

sagitis

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:27

does the m800 nib fit into twsbi 580 ?

#17 2ichigo2

2ichigo2

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:54

Twsbi 580 uses #5 nib.

Based on other posts, 580 can use m200, m400 and m600 (might need to tweak a bit to have a perfect fit).

Vac 700 uses #6 nib.

Have seen posts that m800 fit into vac700 but requires tweaking.

So far I have yet to try that out.

#18 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 14:04

If you buy off the internet, you can get it shipped to any country, so no being "desserved" in your country is not really an excuse.  Fleabay is the obvious place to go on the internet.  There are others as mentioned. I got my mini off the net.

#19 kvz

kvz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2014 - 00:00

This fine line looks VERY fine! 

#20 Oldane

Oldane

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 19:21

This fine line looks VERY fine! 

It likely is. East Asian pens are known for finer nibs than European pens. The broad nib on my TWSBI 580 is thinner than a medium nib I have for Pelikan M800. Here's a table for comparing nib sizes of various brands:

http://www.nibs.com/...ngSizespage.htm

Sponsored Content

|