The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mb Jonathan Swift

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jamesgibby

jamesgibby

Vintage

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:01

Today i received my latest acquisition, the Montblanc Jonathan Swift Writers Edition Fountain Pen and naturally i wanted to review it seeing as no one else has!

Design and Build

At first glance this pen reminded me of a reverse Kafka mixed with my favorite Writer's Edition the Thomas Mann. its a very elegant and simple pen and comes wonderfully presented in the typical MB style. the pen starts of at the bottom with a perfectly round piston knob and finishes with a marvelous concave triangular cap at the apex of which sits an ivory MB snowflake (seems to be the trend now!and is in perfect alignment!). the pen has platinum accents although the "ropes" wrapped around the barrel appear to be painted on underneath the top coat (you cannot feel any break in the smoothness of the barrel)
Posted Image

As the pen goes from thin to wide on the barrel there is a step down to the section which appears to me to be a standard 146 size. i find that the extra width just before the section actually (and contrary to what i thought before i held the pen) makes it more comfortable to write with. i do tend to fine the 146 a little "thin" as i am used to writing with the Thomas Mann which is ever so slightly "fatter" and sites perfectly in the hand.
Posted Image

the cap has a markedly arched clip which is stepped to represent a ladder and the cap "signed" in the usual way. what i love most about the cap is the concave triangular shape which i have never seen on a MB before. i thought it would be odd and not as nice as having a large domed star but i must say that there is something about the shape the makes this pen very interesting to the touch
Posted Image
Posted Image

the nib is a standard 146 nib single tone platinum plated. the nib depicts the Lilliputians marching underneath Gulliver and all in all is quite an intricate little design that is understated at first but very detailed on closer inspection. to be honest the nib of this pen never really attracted me in the sense that my eyes weren't drawn straight towards it (instead i was more interested in the cap as can be seen! lol) but the more i look at it the more i am impressed at just how well themed this pen is.
Posted Image

overall i find the pen quite sturdy save for the fact that when mine arrived the top bit of the cap (yes there i go again talking about the cap) above the clip rattles and appears to be loose! The piston glides smoothly in both directions however i find the lack of an ink window (like many of the WE's) is a slight drawback, but not much!

Value and Summary

i got this pen at a very reasonable price and so i cannot complain whatsoever. im not sure if i would pay full retail for this pen and unlike the Mann and to some extent the Twain i feel this pen leaves me with a little bit of emptiness in that i don't feel quite so "full" when i hold and write with this pen.

would i buy it again if i could turn back time.....a resounding yes! i am thinking of collecting all WE's post 2010 as i absolutely love the more recent designs (have to start somewhere and 1992 is such a long time ago!!)
Posted Image

Montblanc Copernicus 4810, J.P Morgan 4810
Montblanc Writers Edition:  Hemingway,  Proust, Dickens,  Mann,  Twain,  Swift
Montblanc 149 1986, 75th 1924 LE, 90th Anniversary, Platinum
Montblanc 146 Solitaire: Hematite, Gold & Black, Silver Fibre Guilloche

Montblanc 234 1/2L

Montblanc Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib
Montblanc Starwalker FP & RB

Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138  136  134  132 & 149 Silver Rings

Sponsored Content

#2 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 14:04

Hah! The star is aligned!
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#3 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 14:29

Thanks for the great review and superb pictures.
" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#4 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 14:46

Nice review and some excellent photos.

I agree about the comparison to the Kafka and the Mann both of which are two of my favourite WE pens. This one though is not one of my favourites even though I love it and it is a great writer - I find the "randomness" of the rope around the barrel quite strange.

Collect them all, you wont regret it :eureka: It took my nine and a half years to complete my set :yikes:
My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

#5 jamesgibby

jamesgibby

Vintage

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 14:56

I can't work out how to tighten the damn cap! It' has been driving me insane since I got it. Every time I pick it up it starts rattling and clicking.

I do have to say that this combined with my Thomas Mann section lip coming off shows that MB quality isn't what it should be really

Montblanc 234 1/2L

Montblanc Newson (Matt)

#6 schbe243

schbe243

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 18:01

Thanks! Great review and a great pen!

The Jonathan Swift WE is one of my favourite pens. It was my first WE (looking forward to the Balzac :puddle: ), so I love to read about it. Hope you enjoy this awsome pen!

#7 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 20:12

honnestly i've to say that personaly i don't like it's design and that i prefer the more standard WE
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#8 jamesgibby

jamesgibby

Vintage

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 17:32

honnestly i've to say that personaly i don't like it's design and that i prefer the more standard WE

It grows on yo after a while. I think the cap may be a bit big though in fairness a bit of an awkward shape to have in your inner jacket pocket

Montblanc 234 1/2L

Montblanc Newson (Matt)

#9 Orfalaise

Orfalaise

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:35

When I bought mine, I've immediately noticed that the cap was loose. I had to try three different ones before finding one which was ok. It should be taken under Montblanc warranty.
I really like your review and I think that the cap is really beautiful, even if it's very difficult for my pen tray to handle it.
Thanks again!

#10 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:13

Nice review, thanks.

#11 camoandconcrete

camoandconcrete

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:20

I bought mine in the Prague boutique and luckily the cap isn't loose. Personally, I think the Swift is my favorite modern Montblanc next to the sterling silver Doue zig zag pattern.
What I'm looking for: Montblanc 132, 235, 422 and 432. Any help would be most appreciated.

#12 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 19:04

~ Thank you for the helpful review and images.

Lately I've been thinking about the William Shakespeare, thus reading WE reviews.

This review is especially appreciated due to the photographs.

Tom K.

#13 hsianloon

hsianloon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:10

Thanks for the review. I've a Kafka and it does evoke the same impression. Personally I think after the Swift, the rest of the WEs went a bit too garish..

Sponsored Content

|