Any Doctors On The Forum?

ericlast

Just wondering if there are any other physicians lurking here? I'm an internist practicing in New York and have recently rekindled my FP passion. And they really do help my handwriting! My only lament is that my group practice is switching to computerized medical records next month, so my ability to use my pens will decrease drastically.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• ericlast

• jmccarty3

• gracespens

Well, I am not a doctor, but I know a few physicians are on this forum, including physicians based in NYC. Try out the Big Apple Pen Club, they have regular meetings, and you meet a number of interesting people.

There are quite a few physicians who use fountain pens and post on FPN. Here is a link to one of the more recent discussions. Electronic medical records are certainly the trend, but I still have opportunities to use some of my fountain pens.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Just wondering if there are any other physicians lurking here? I'm an internist practicing in New York and have recently rekindled my FP passion. And they really do help my handwriting! My only lament is that my group practice is switching to computerized medical records next month, so my ability to use my pens will decrease drastically.

As for your Lamy 2000, mentioned in another post, you can replace the nib yourself. I think that Gouletpens.com has a video on the subject. You should be able to get a new nib from Lamy USA, although I didn't see one on their website.

"Physician, heal thy pen."

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

As for your Lamy 2000, mentioned in another post, you can replace the nib yourself. I think that Gouletpens.com has a video on the subject. You should be able to get a new nib from Lamy USA, although I didn't see one on their website.

"Physician, heal thy pen."

Thanks for that, Frank C. I actually contacted Lamy about the replacement...they don't sell the nibs, but for $85 they'll replace it for me. I'm going to take advantage of that as son as I have time to go to the post office...my free time is being spent in class learning my new electronic medical records program!

There are quite a few physicians who use fountain pens and post on FPN. Here is a link to one of the more recent discussions. Electronic medical records are certainly the trend, but I still have opportunities to use some of my fountain pens.

Great link.... Thanks so much!

Hi,

I am a psychiatrist in California, struggling with the E&M changes for psychiatry since January 1.

Still using my pens, slight consolation for what has been done to the profession by Big Money.wallbash.gif

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Yep, electronic medical records suck in the 'pen usage' department. I practice at two hospitals - one that uses EMR, one that uses paper. Guess which one I prefer being at? :rolleyes:

Several other MDs here on the forum, I believe. Welcome aboard!

Cheers,

Ken

Almost done with my fellowship here (PGY7 with 1 year to go). I carry an FP with me to work on a daily basis. While we have EMR and it is mostly confined to signatures and prescriptions, I have found one other use: When I make medication changes or order tests for patients in clinic I will write out the plan for my patients.

Many patients and family members have commented on either the ink color (usually an interesting blue or black) or "handwriting" (ie the italic/flex nib effect). They seem to really like that I took the time to write something out by hand. Anything I can do to make patients feel comfortable and appreciated is a must-do in my book.

Cheers,

NM

Hi,

I am a psychiatrist in California, struggling with the E&M changes for psychiatry since January 1.

Still using my pens, slight consolation for what has been done to the profession by Big Money.wallbash.gif

I thought that "they" were making "healthcare" accessible for everyone.

Lots of us here actually... I use my FPs everyday but I retired from active practice a few years ago... Still do some consulting work.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I am nuclear medicine physician in California. I have always with me one FP all the time even if nearly everything is digital in our department (so what before took 5 seconds to write an order now it takes a couple of minutes through a computer) but I always find something to write during the day with the FP.

I'm finishing up my PGY4 year in Pulmonary & Critical Care medicine. I carry a fountain pen daily. The office practice and hospital is mostly EMR. Scripts are also ePrescribed. We do write daily progress notes still but this is to be eliminated around August which is unfortunate. Many of my colleagues carry fountain pens as well and I have run into Montblancs, Pelikans, Vanishing Points, and Passaportos.

My best fountain pen moments in the office are when patients notice and comment on what usually amounts to their childhood experiences with one. Helps get the patient encounter off to a good start.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Almost done with my fellowship here (PGY7 with 1 year to go). I carry an FP with me to work on a daily basis. While we have EMR and it is mostly confined to signatures and prescriptions, I have found one other use: When I make medication changes or order tests for patients in clinic I will write out the plan for my patients.

Many patients and family members have commented on either the ink color (usually an interesting blue or black) or "handwriting" (ie the italic/flex nib effect). They seem to really like that I took the time to write something out by hand. Anything I can do to make patients feel comfortable and appreciated is a must-do in my book.

Cheers,

NM

Interesting. I teach ethics $ professionalism (Narrative Medicine model) to residents and fellows. A growing challenge for trainees is to retain some singularity of connection with patients--your personalized 'script' sounds like a quick and singular way to spark that connection. I'll steal that idea, with your permission...!

-Jack

One of my docs refuses to use anything but his fountain pen (his fave: Waterman Edison). Whenever I see him we play Fountain Pen Show 'n' Tell.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

UK medical student at the half way point through my degree. Take my pens with me everywhere in the hospital.

Interestingly there was a trial to use computerised medical records here in the UK about 2 years ago but all the doctors complained and it got abandoned.

Looks like I may get to use my pens for years to come once I qualify!

Jonny

fpn_1424367745__img_1607.jpg

“Do not go gentle into that good night.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

Dylan Thomas

I'm an oral surgeon and bridge the gap between medicine and dentistry. I've tried using fountain pens in my charting but have had issues with smudging ink, so mostly use ballpoints there. I use fountain pens for signing letters, paying bills, writing letters, etc. The bulk of my charts at my private office are handwritten, so I can control them, but dealing with electronic charts at the hospital only adds to the impersonalization of medicine.

Computerised records are a good thing, you can find things more easily if organised well.

But my typing skills are not great. When interviewing my patients I make handwritten/fountainpen written notes. These are later transferred into a typed report about that client/patient. I keep my handwritten notes in the office, as personal notes.

I am thinking about scanning the handwritten notes and keeping them electronically. They are starting to take a lot of space now.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I'm finishing my internal medicine residency in June, will be working as a hospitalist. We dictate H&Ps, but still write daily notes. My fountain pens get a good amount of use, and people always seem fascinated with them.

I'll be starting residency in June but have used fountain pens since 2nd year of medical school. Our hospital switched to electronic medical records around then but I still take notes on a "cheat sheet" each day and will probably do the same during residency. I have a relatively small collection of pens so I've been able to rotate through all of them eventually.

Still stuck on Noodler's Black as my work ink but trying to find out about other suitable waterproof inks...

Jason's current collection: Lamy Safari, TWSBI Diamond 540, Pilot 78G, Noodler's Nib Creaper, Noodler's Konrad, Parker 45, Parker 75, Camlin 47, Hero 329, Sheaffer NoNonsense, FPR Dilli, Pilot Parallel, Esterbrook SJ, Wearever Deluxe, Waterman Skywriter