The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 823 Clear - M

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 23:37

After using my 823 F and B, I decided to add a M. This time, a clear model. I have not yet decided on what ink I should use with this clear model. My current inks in rotation are: Tsuki-yo, Shin-kai, Kon-peki, Asa-gao, Yama-budo, Tsukushi, MB Black, Diamine Denim & Visconti Green. I think I have almost all of Iroshizuki inks; so, I welcome your suggestion.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Compared to the black and brown models, this clear model is, well, very clear and transparent, with a proper amount of design accents to look too blandly clear. When I load a 823 with ink, I can cleary feel the weight of ink in the pen, which I like. This added weight will make the pen more balanced around the mid section.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The M is very smooth based on my initial dip test. As some other FPNers commented, there is a quite a noticeable jump from F to M in terms of the line width. Both F and M nibs can be used for daily note taking. The 823's B nib (which is more like an M on Pelikan or MB) is a little too wide for my normal daily writing (but, I can readily use a B nib for signing documents and doing some quick scribing).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here are a few comparioin photos with an Aurora demo.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Pen2009, 12 April 2013 - 23:57.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

#2 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 23:46

for the ink i don't recommend all kind of real blue like tsuki yo that i love but i think that in a clear pen it won't be as nice as it could be....try yama budo,should be nice,or may be momi ji,i've got some of it in my m200 clear demonstrator and it's really nice...i love the ku jaku too
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#3 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 23:49

for the pen it looks pretty well in the overall...i don't really know pilot pens can you tell me about the price and filling system please?
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#4 Ravenlunatic

Ravenlunatic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:32

I have been looking for an 823 clear in broad nib for a while. I have amber, and black, so a clear one is next on the list. However, I have not seen anyplace selling them. (or if I do, I don't have the money at the time.) Ah well, patience is its own reward, but man didn't claw his way to the top of the food chain by waiting for animals to drop dead before eating. :roflmho:

The RavenLunatic

Semper insanit omnes tempore.

postcardde9.pngletterji9.png

#5 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:38

The Custom 823 is one of my favorite pens. I have the charcoal and several ambers. I missed out on the clear, but I do know that they are still around.
"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#6 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:48

for the pen it looks pretty well in the overall...i don't really know pilot pens can you tell me about the price and filling system please?

The Custom 823 is about the size of an MB 146. They have a vacuum filling system and hold lots of ink. There is a diagram of the pen in this post. In the US, they sell for about $280. I have also purchased them from Engeika on the bay. I love these pens!
"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#7 mirko

mirko

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 15:57

So far I have use my 823 Clear exclusively with the Shin Ryoku. I absolutely love that combination for one reason or other!
Latest additions: Delta Dolce Vita Stantuffo (Stub and M), Aurora 88 Large (M), Montblanc GB Shaw; Favorite pens: Montblanc 146 (M and OB), Visconti Homo Sapiens (F), Sailor 1911 Naginata Emperor (MF), Pilot Custom 823 (M), Pilot Capless Black Carbonite (M)Pelikan M605; Notable others: Visconti Wall Street LE Red (M), FPN LE Stipula T-Flex, Montblanc Kafka (M), Pilot M90 (F), Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi (NM, NB)

#8 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• 2,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:52

What a pity that they have chosen a black inner cap.

Greetings,
Michael

#9 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:37

The pen is well made but having tried several friends 823s I find the nib  too glassy smooth

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#10 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 17:03

A gorgeous pen.  I'd love to see some pictures of it inked.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#11 kpyeoman

kpyeoman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:28

*shakes fist* Why can't this pen come in a version with rhodium trim!!!!

#12 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 17:11

ask pilot if they can make a custom heritage vac filler then you will get your rhodium trim their custom line pens always have the signature ball clip and gold trims while custom heritage is more on the modern design with a sword clip and rhodium plating and are generally flap top to Custom's Cigar shape

Edited by Algester, 23 June 2014 - 17:12.

#13 RudyR

RudyR

Man O' Blues

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 18:23

As far I know, these pens are no longer produced in the crystal clear body. I have been googled my self near death trying to find one from a reliable retailer and nothing. I believe these were a limited edition.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

#14 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 21:27

As far I know, these pens are no longer produced in the crystal clear body. I have been googled my self near death trying to find one from a reliable retailer and nothing. I believe these were a limited edition.

"Near death???"  Guess you didn't go quite far enough - Just kidding - Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#15 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2014 - 00:42

yes they are a limited edition so you will end up with essentially NOS pens if your going to buy 1

Sponsored Content

|