The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Long Murex

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 amantadine

amantadine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:11

Posted Image

INITIAL IMPRESSION

I am a huge fan of the "myu/murex" series and am a(n) (exceptionally) proud owner of the m90 that I purchased brand new a few years ago. When this pen turned up on Ebay I was determined to get it and spent an agonising few days ( :bonk: ) awaiting its arrival. It came securely packaged - though unfortunately not in its original box. The hardest thing I had to do was give the pen a thorough cleaning before I could ink it! :gaah:

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN (09/10)

Posted Image

Posted Image

To me the design is the best aspect of this pen :puddle: . It almost looks like it belongs in outer space! The ridges on the section are a welcome addition - although I wasn't expecting it the pen is easier to grip compared to pens with all-metal sections. This Long Murex attempts to strike that balance between appearance and practicality.

Posted Image

top: Pilot m90 / bottom: Pilot Long Murex

Posted Image

top: Pilot m90 / bottom: Pilot Long Murex

Posted Image

CONSTRUCTION AND QUALITY (08/10)

This pen has an outstanding finish and it simply exudes quality. I must dock a couple of points, however, for the cap. Being a slip cap I am worried about how long the clutch will hold up (the cap on my m90 being a little more loose now compared to when I first purchased it).

WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS (10/10)

Despite being an all-metal pen it remains very light and as such the weight will not be an issue for longer writing sessions. This murex was designed to be a more full-size pen compared to the rest of the myu series. For me this is ideal as I can use this pen unposted (hurrah!). Here are a few numbers:

Capped: 13.2cm
Unposted: 11.7cm
Posted: 14.3cm

NIB AND PERFORMANCE (09/10)

Posted Image

Being a Japanese (fine) nib this writes finer than a Western (fine) nib. Secondly this is a very stiff nib, so no line variation. This pen is definitely a dry writer - much more so than the fine nib on my Pilot VP (although my medium-nibbed m90 wrote with a dry line also). No skipping/hard starts so far. This nib is solid and reliable.

FILLING SYSTEM AND MAINTENANCE (08/10)

One can use either Pilot's own cartridges, or the push-button converter. An internal filling mechanism would be nice but I don't think it would work with this pen. As is the problem with this style of converter I cannot see how much ink is left.

COST AND VALUE (10/10)

This was an Ebay auction that I was overjoyed to have won. Not only because I now have a pen I had been after for a long time, but also because I got a decent price (I hope) - under £100. For me this represents fantastic value for money :)

CONCLUSION (Final Score = 54/60) :thumbup:

As a more practical member of the myu/murex family this pen performs very well indeed. It isn't as pretty as the m90/myu 701 but is much easier (for me) to write with unposted.

Posted Image

And now for a writing sample:

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:59

Great photos and review - I love my Murex! :thumbup:
Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#3 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:48

Very good review.
This pen has been on "my list" for a long while - specifically for the the ridges on the section.
Also glad to hear, while being a dry writer, it was free from skips,
Thank You.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#4 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:21

great review. I have the red Murex and a MYU. They are both exquisite pens as you have described. Enjoy yours in good health.

Fantastic photographs.

#5 C40

C40

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2014 - 20:30

Great review and pictures. My pictures don't really add anything after yours, but just in case people would like some more:

13494668424_2030128760_c.jpg

13494417983_08dfe058c4_c.jpg

13494418353_631332a9b0_c.jpg

13494417343_1733ae999a_c.jpg

Mine is a medium nib

13494416763_65b530250e_o.jpg

Edited by C40, 29 March 2014 - 20:31.

#6 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,387 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 21:01

Great review. I'm also quite pleased with my Murex as well as my M90, both with medium nibs. Great design and good writers, even for longer sessions.

#7 rollerboy

rollerboy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2014 - 21:19

Curiosity finally drove me to buy one of these last year.  I *want* to like it because it's so cool looking but I find it too thin for comfort and too dry for my preference.  It's okay for jotting down an action item or two in a meeting but it wouldn't be my first choice for writing a full page of text.

#8 Ron_L

Ron_L

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2014 - 22:27

Excellent review. A nice looking pen. For me it would be too thin. But I like the way it writes. Thx.

#9 beboy

beboy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:10

An old review thread bumped, but I am glad it was; I was fascinated by that pen but I was wondering if that cool design was functional. 

#10 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,387 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:28

Functional design? Well, I'm not one to use as typical user (I love my Omas 360 and the Pilot Capless fits perfectly in my hands) but in this case, although I have a strong preference for large pens, both the Murex and the M90 work quite well for me it terms of size and finish. I mostly use them for short note-taking but in the summer I used them for more extensive writing and it was fine. In any case, writing for four hours with the same pen is not something that I normally do. Changing pen after a couple of pages is always preferable.

#11 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:42

Beautiful pen, too thin for long writings as far as I am concerned. Had the chance to buy a set (BP, pencil and FP), which allow me to use a murex version everyday! :-P
Thank you for the review!

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Sponsored Content

|