The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M200 (Green Demonstrator)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amantadine

amantadine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:42

Posted Image

INITIAL IMPRESSION

I bought this pen from Ebay on a whim - I somehow managed to get a decent deal and so was excited to start using this pen, especially as it was in "pristine" condition. Once I had it unpacked my initial impression was less than good. Although I loved the green colour of this demonstrator this pen had not been cleaned prior to being sold and there was ink visible inside the barrel. Not only this but the nib was not aligned with the feed. For a pen only "used once" I was expecting a little more. I put my initial disappointment aside and wanted to take a closer look at the pen.

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN (09/10)

Posted Image

I love the style of these Pelikan FPs. Although not as good looking as my m600 this m200 looks very smart indeed. Pelikan have chosen a great shade of green for this pen, and it definitely complements the gold-coloured furniture/nib. The furniture itself is simple but effective - the addition of the gold ring near the piston knob brings some balance into this pen's design. One small drawback - the nib design is rather plain - I think a two-tone nib would have suited the pen better.

CONSTRUCTION AND QUALITY (09/10)

Posted Image

top: Pelikan Souveran M600 / bottom: Pelikan M200 Green Demonstrator

This m200 has an air of quality and I think looks much more expensive than it actually was (better than being more expensive than it looks perhaps!). I am trying to avoid making a direct comparison with my Souveran m600, which is difficult as these are the only two Pelikan pens I own. Despite its simpler appearance the quality of the finish with this pen remains excellent. The twist cap unscrews with 1 full turn, it posts securely, and the piston mechanism feels very secure and draws up ink beautifully.

WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS (09/10)

This is a very light and comfortable pen to use both for short and long writing sessions. It isn't especially large, but just about comfortable to use unposted for me (the posted length is ideal, however).

Capped: 12.4cm
Uncapped: 12.1cm
Posted: 14.7cm

Posted Image

NIB AND PERFORMANCE (08/10)

I am not sure whether I should provide a score here. I was looking forward to trying out the gold-plated steel nib of this pen. I really enjoy the 14K gold nib of my m600 - it's incredibly smooth and puts down a rich wet line (looking great with whatever ink I choose). This pen came with a medium gold-plated steel nib. Once I started writing with it I thought something was seriously wrong - the nib was scratchy, it was squeaking and even skipping. I thought that perhaps the tines were misaligned badly - this wasn't the case. The nib was slightly out of alignment with the feed and so some gentle adjustment corrected this. However that made no difference to the quality of this nib.

At this point I wasn't sure whether to return the pen. Instead I chose to try and correct the problem myself. Being relatively inexpensive this seemed to be an excellent opportunity (and if I were to make a bad situation worse replacement nibs don't cost the earth!). After some painstaking micro-mesh work I managed to turn this god-awful excuse for a nib into a smooth writer which lays down a 'Pelikan' medium line - more like a Western broad. There still remains a little tooth but overall I am happy with the job and thought it best to quit whilst I was ahead. If I had to score this nib pre-adjustment it would probably be 03/10. After, I think 08/10.

FILLING SYSTEM AND MAINTENANCE (09/10)

Piston filler - enough said! :clap1: Smooth mechanism with a great ink capacity. The nib/feed unit screws/unscrews easily allowing for very quick nib swapping.

COST AND VALUE (10/10)

As I mentioned earlier this pen was purchased from Ebay. I have had a few misses so far in my short life as a FP 'addict'. I don't think this will count as one (even with the state of the nib!). I got this pen for less than £40 which I was happy to pay and for a piston filler I think this is a great price.

CONCLUSION (Final Score = 54/60)

Posted Image

Hope you enjoy reading this review! Now for a quick writing sample:

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2013 - 21:29

looks nice,really,i love the dark green color of the body...personally i own a pelikan m200 clear demonstrator (2012 special edition) and it is very nice with a wonderfuly smooth piston (it's a pelikan) but i was very disapointed as there was a default in the pen,a crack in the inside part of the barel,after the piston. They have recognized that it was clearly theyr fault and repaired it for free with all theyt excuses but it's still disapointing as when you get a pelikan you think you buy a well built pen
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#3 amantadine

amantadine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 21:58

looks nice,really,i love the dark green color of the body...personally i own a pelikan m200 clear demonstrator (2012 special edition) and it is very nice with a wonderfuly smooth piston (it's a pelikan) but i was very disapointed as there was a default in the pen,a crack in the inside part of the barel,after the piston. They have recognized that it was clearly theyr fault and repaired it for free with all theyt excuses but it's still disapointing as when you get a pelikan you think you buy a well built pen

at least it was fixed in the end! I don't think my nib issues were the fault of Pelikan though. One question - did your demonstrator come with a steel nib? Or is it the 14K gold? Just curious!

#4 Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:04

14K for me but i've asked for it and i think it was simply a nib of M400 and i've probably paid for that,normally it's a steel nib i think
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#5 gentlyom

gentlyom

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:22

Congrats for the pen. :thumbup: I think all M200s come with steel nibs. The 200 green demo I bought from the US dealer has a steel nib. It's definitely a bonus to get a 14k gold nib for that price. I am glad you like it too. I carry mine with me everyday. Even with a steel nib, it is still a fantastic writer! :cloud9:

#6 Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 00:01

well i've took reinseignement,i've paid nearly 200€ for it or the normal price is 135 so yes i've paid for it and it is a M400 nib

#7 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 00:54

I find Pelikan's 200 series pens to be very portable and fit nicely into any shirt pockets.

However, I could not buy used items off eBay as all such purchases would be a gamble. I only buy new ones even if they are more expensive than used ones, as I like a peace of mind over buying someone's problems.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

|