The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Phileas Phever

• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#701 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:29

Gotta keep the ball rolling

$_57 (1).JPG

Sponsored Content

#702 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 9,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2016 - 17:01

Wonderful, wonderful! 

I have inked up three Phileases a few days ago, and lo, they are still writing.  Not drying out. 

I do like that the Phileas has the feel of a more expensive pen (MB 146 resin piston).

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#703 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 5,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:13

I wonder what this will be like. It was listed as Marble Green but I think it is Amazon :(  Also stated new unused...but we shall see.

AG_£35.jpg

#704 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:03

I wonder what this will be like. It was listed as Marble Green but I know it is Amazon. Also stated new unused...but we shall see.

attachicon.gifAG_£35.jpg

You bought it?

May we ask how much?

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#705 praxim

praxim

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:12

Was it £35?

That is what the .jpg name says ;)

The Problem of Small Numbers is that there are not enough of them.

#706 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 5,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 13:33

£35 and IMHO the going rate (£30 to £40) for this model in excellent to mint condition. 

I asked no questions and requested no additional pictures, just took the BIN. The cap may not even have a clip  :huh:

The seller has posted it so we shall soon know.

It has arrived and the box was poorly packed. The box is shot or was so before the poor packaging applied. I am not bothered as I have spares.

The pen is a mint Amazon Green. The nib is Broad (L). It came with a Waterman converter which contained some awful red ink which has now been removed by ultrasonic cleaning.

DSCN1032.JPG

DSCN1035.JPG

DSCN1042.JPG

#707 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 5,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:28

and you thought I had forgotten about the Phili...

another one (Indus Grey) of two (one still in the post) for the PPP...Phili Pension Pot

DSCN1273.JPG

#708 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 16:42

and you thought I had forgotten about the Phili...

another one (Indus Grey) of two (one still in the post) for the PPP...Phili Pension Pot

Similar with me! I had just gotten ready to start selling off my excess Phils (I just don't want to hang on any more), and as soon as one was in the post I saw a private sale ad for an Indus Grey, which I didn't have. So one went out, and one came in. It wasn't supposed to work that way!

Oh well, I've got 5 that will be finding new homes as soon as I get it together to list them.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#709 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 9,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 21:10

I like the Amazon Green.  I think I have two plus a ballpoint.  But I have used all of mine.  Turquoise swirly mess is my favorite. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

#710 Chrissy

Chrissy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 21:35

Wonderful, wonderful! 

I have inked up three Phileases a few days ago, and lo, they are still writing.  Not drying out. 

I do like that the Phileas has the feel of a more expensive pen (MB 146 resin piston).

I love my Phileases too. I also have an Amazon Green. I currently have 4 Philies, and I have exchanged all of their nibs to gold L'Etalon nibs, following Force's instructions.

I have to say that they tend to dry out a bit quicker than some of my pens, but I can cope with this. And I agree that they have the feel of a more expensive pen. The 146 is a good comparison, but for me ink never dries out in those.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#711 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 9,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 17:09

Yes, the ink in the Montblanc 146 and 144 takes a long time to dry up.  I am gradually de-inking other pens.  Really, all the Watermans dry up quickly.  Still, good stuff to look at, and I am far too lazy to sell pens.

#712 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 5,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 15:38

The second Indus arrived yesterday and it is mint. The feed was totally blocked so I had to pop the feed and nib out for a short ultrasonic clean. It's now clear.

DSCN1356.JPG

#713 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 16:32

The second Indus arrived yesterday and it is mint. The feed was totally blocked so I had to pop the feed and nib out for a short ultrasonic clean. It's now clear.

Hey, it isn't mint if the feed is clogged! :) Are you still using the washer/grips/two screwdirver method for pulling the nib and feed? I have to do this for the first time and I still have (since I kept) your diagrams and descriptions. Just checking to see if there is a newly updated method for pulling these...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#714 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 5,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 17:12

Hey, it isn't mint if the feed is clogged! :) Are you still using the washer/grips/two screwdirver method for pulling the nib and feed? I have to do this for the first time and I still have (since I kept) your diagrams and descriptions. Just checking to see if there is a newly updated method for pulling these...

Yes, still same method. 

#715 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 7,267 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 17:17

I love the gray and the green.

#716 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 9,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:34

Stumbled upon a green one with ballpoint at a yard sale.  Twenty-five cents each.

#717 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 5,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 16:20

Stumbled upon a green one with ballpoint at a yard sale.  Twenty-five cents each.

Gosh, that makes no cents whatsoever.

#718 Fof 3

Fof 3

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:28

Force,

you could answer this, I read somewhere that you could convert a ballpoint to a fountain by pull out the end bit in the cap and changing the section.

Have you seen that done before?

#719 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 5,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:33

Force,

you could answer this, I read somewhere that you could convert a ballpoint to a fountain by pull out the end bit in the cap and changing the section.

Have you seen that done before?

I have never done it but I believe that can be doone. BUT the FP will dry out because the cap will have airflow through the clip porting.

#720 Fof 3

Fof 3

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:58

Thanks Force,

my Parker Sonnets made in the UK all have a breather hole in the caps too- apparently just in case if a child swallow the cap and it lodges in the trachea they will survive, apparently it really did happen with the top of a BIC pen. Some people wax in the breather hole because it doe dry out faster.

I glad you are in the UK and I am in Australia- I would never get a bargain here with you around!

Though Phileas aren't cheap here, but todaythere  is a new benchmark on Australia Ebay for a Phileas set

http://www.ebay.com....0cAAOSw8oFX0qBS

241 USD or about 328 AUD or 194 pounds!!

Unbelieveable when there is a Man 100 listed for half that!

Sponsored Content

|