Phileas Phever

Left FPN

I have a few of the Kulturs. Functionally they seem about as good as a Phileas. I would like to find another L'etalon nib to use in one of the Kulturs I have. The purple translucent one I changed into a gold trim pen with a Phileas nib, trim ring and clip. It's fun to play around.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• TwelveDrawings

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you would have another Etalon nib you would probably have the whole l'Etalon, in which case I certainly would prefer that pen above the Kultur!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I'm officially one with you. My pristine Amazon Green Phileas arrived today. It came in a set like Force shared an image of with converter, cartridges, blotter paper, how to book.

So very pretty. Turns out the listing was only up for one hour when I bought it. I sent a question and got a quick reply. Now I have to find the post in this thread about restoring cartridges with distilled water.

Not sure what color of ink I'll use in it.

Posted Image

If you would have another Etalon nib you would probably have the whole l'Etalon, in which case I certainly would prefer that pen above the Kultur!

D.ick

To each his own poison. I have acquired a distaste for the upscale Waterman pens from the Carene. A terminal non poster of caps. I like the fine carene section I have screwed into a green Phileas. So, the EF L'etalon nib makes the Phileas a nicer pen and it's not so costly. I also like outrageous combinations.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Ha, I had to laugh: I just saw a listing for a common marbled blue (older color) Phileas, with box, asking price of $200.00.

I mean, I actually had to laugh.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

$200! I would be shocked, except I've seen triple digit prices for early Field Notes Colors packs that sold at $9.99. I hope no one buys that $200 Phileas.

A used blue marble Phileas was listed at $49.99 plus shipping. It got zero bids. It was re-listed at $37 and free shipping and sold.

I've learned a lot from this thread so a big thanks to all of you.

Edited to delete random letter.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Edited to delete random letter.

How unfortunate. I love getting random letters.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

How unfortunate. I love getting random letters.

I have often thought about writing one but just could not find a reason.

Ha ha you guys are funny. I saw an M after a sentence. Wish it were more exciting.

Posted Image

Not too bad but not new as stated by the seller. One to try my new plastic finish on...Armorall.

It came in an unusual 3 pen deluxe box which had it not had a few marks on the lid would have been great.

fpn_1425811847__dscn0539.jpg

fpn_1425811887__dscn0542.jpg

Ha, I had to laugh: I just saw a listing for a common marbled blue (older color) Phileas, with box, asking price of $200.00.

I mean, I actually had to laugh.

Wow! I had to laugh too, when I read your post about the price.

Not too bad but not new as stated by the seller. One to try my new plastic finish on...Armorall.

It came in an unusual 3 pen deluxe box which had it not had a few marks on the lid would have been great.

I hope we will see it when it has it's new finish on it.

The Armorall has worked nicely. While the pens barrel and cap had a shine it has now been enhanced 2 or 3 fold.

I wonder if this one will need the same touch. £70+ and to think I only paid £56 for the lovely Red Ripple 52 in my other recent topic. Which by the way, this has made me :D

Edited by Force

Force, do you have any concerns as to the long-term chemical effects of Armorall on the plastics of the pens? (I'm gathering not...)

~ Benjamin Franklin

Force, do you have any concerns as to the long-term chemical effects of Armorall on the plastics of the pens? (I'm gathering not...)

Hi, I suspect not in my lifetime...

It is and has been used on car trim for many many years and I have never read any bad reports. While I do not use it (or anything) on my parts, my son used it on his last car which he owned for 5 years without any problems.

It appears not to contain any harmful products.

Hi, I suspect not in my lifetime...

It is and has been used on car trim for many many years and I have never read any bad reports. While I do not use it (or anything) on my parts, my son used it on his last car which he owned for 5 years without any problems.

It appears not to contain any harmful products.

It's the surfactants that make me wonder...as well as the UV-blockers.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It's the surfactants that make me wonder...as well as the UV-blockers.

D.ick

Ahhh but let's not forget that some inks in use eat through steel and plastic.

What sellers do not see on ink stained nibs. This is the latest addition to my growing set. Described by the seller as in new condition when in fact it had been clearly used both when inspecting the nib and plastic parts. The nib has the start of corrosion in the slit and is also slightly bent down but not enough to prevent use.

I have placed it between two barrels purchased recently, both brand new, for £5 each and from France.

fpn_1426061609__dscn0550.jpg

Edited by Force

Force, Do you use the Armorall plastic trim version, on all of the plastic parts of the pens, (well except for the feed)?