Arrrgggghhhh - Issue With Kaweco Ice Sport - Help Please

JaquiAnn

Hi All

Mrs FP novice twit here ... I'm sure I've done something stupid ...

I recently bought a Kaweco ICE sport and a converter to use for when the cartridge supplied with it ran out. Well, the cartridge did run out so I fitted the converter and tried to suck ink up through the nib and into the sac. For starters the converter seems absolutely rubbish and will only suck about 4 drops of ink into it (but that's another story - probably suitable for a separate post) and in order to make sure I wasn't drawing up air into the pen I checked that the nib was properly submerged.

After removing the pen from the ink and deciding to give up on the ****** converter I noticed the following had occurred [ink has seeped between the nib area and body of the pen] and I can't seem to clean this area of the pen!!!! Jet black ink has seeped through the tiny gap and because the pen is translucent I can see it ... arrrgghh.

Does anyone know if this centre part of the pen can be removed so I can clean here? There looks like rubber seals both ends but forcing them might ruin the pen!

Ideas????

AND TO TOP IT ALL I don't seem to be able to upload pix at the moment ... grrrrr

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JaquiAnn

• chiaroscuro

• 79spitfire

• dizzymizzy

1) Toss the rubbish converter and keep the spent ink cartridges to fill with a syringe.

2) You can remove the nib from the feed and section completely to clean. I've done it with my Kaweco Sports. Grab the nib and the feed firmly and twist/pull.

---

Wanted: Waterman 52 1/2 V

This is bad news for me, as I've ordered three of the Sport converters... Probably should have waited for a review. On the upside, none of mine are demonstrators.

Please keep us posted on your situation.

1) Toss the rubbish converter and keep the spent ink cartridges to fill with a syringe.

2) You can remove the nib from the feed and section completely to clean. I've done it with my Kaweco Sports. Grab the nib and the feed firmly and twist/pull.

YEP - think I've come to the very same conclusion - the converters are OUT and the syringe is pressed into service ... I could convert it to an eyedropper as well, if I want to carry about LOADS of ink ... very easy apparently.

As for the nib - YES I have pulled the nib assembly out BUT the ink seems to have leeched between the grip body and the inner part. I have a photo but this site is not allowing me to upload it at the moment ... grrrr :gaah: :gaah:

Unfortunately, there's no need for pictures as many of us know this problem.

You can either:

- Buy a new section

- Accept your fate

- Call the vendor and tell him his stupid converter broke your pen and you want revenge compensation

By the way, to get more ink into the converter you must suck more than once. You must suck a lot.

You can remove the nib and the feed (friction fit) but you can't remove the feed housing. Some people have said soaking the section in water or a water/alcohol solution for quite sometime, letting it dry and then start again might eventually remove the ink between the inner section hull (I love Star Trek) and the feed housing. But I don't really believe it will work unless you're very, very lucky. Which you don't seem to be, considering the problem at hand.

BTW, blowing won't do any good. You know, I've tried blowing and sucking myself, but it just didn't work out.

Oh, and no rubber has been used in my case. Are you sure you have some rubbers? They should prevent icky liquids from getting in. It would be weird if the section got impregnated although you've used two rubbers.

Anyway, I'm certain there shouldn't be any rubbers.

Good Luck!

This is bad news for me, as I've ordered three of the Sport converters... Probably should have waited for a review. On the upside, none of mine are demonstrators.

Please keep us posted on your situation.

BAD NEWS for me too as I ordered another ICE sport (a girl needs many colours!) AND converters to go with them!!! I'm going to contact the supplier to ask if I'm doing something particularly STOOOPID with them ... but I don't think I am ... :wacko:

Hi, I don't have the same pen as you, but other brands have the same problem, but you can't see it, and then ink leaks out slowly through joints in the section. Two pens I have do this.

You can get over this problem by filling the converter with ink, hold it upside down, then fit the nib section to it, nib facing up.

I think it's possible to pull the nib and feeder out to clean it. Before you do, make a measurement of how far the nib is forward of the feeder below it, as it must be kept like that. (e.g. 3mm ?)

I think the converter holds about the same amount of ink as a cartridge, so there's not much advantage, aside from changing ink colours of course.

If you don't want to take the nib and feeder out, I would try soaking the nib/feeder/grip section in water overnight, it may be enough to clear it.

Unfortunately, there's no need for pictures as many of us know this problem.

You can either:

- Buy a new section [YES, I may do this eventually ...]

- Accept your fate [i'm considering THIS option so that every time I see the "trapped" ink it'll remind me NOT to be such a twit!!!]

- Call the vendor and tell him his stupid converter broke your pen and you want revenge compensation [i'm DEFINITELY going to give the vendor some "feedback" ... I think they need to know]

By the way, to get more ink into the converter you must suck more than once. You must suck a lot. [i did, I did ... I sucked a lot ... oh gosh ... if my husband saw we write that !!!! ... I know I sucked a lot because of the amount of ****** ink now trapped in the feed housing!!!]

You can remove the nib and the feed (friction fit) but you can't remove the feed housing [thank you for providing me with the words I could not remember :headsmack: ]. Some people have said soaking the section in water or a water/alcohol solution for quite sometime, letting it dry and then start again might eventually remove the ink between the inner section hull (I love Star Trek - ME TOO) and the feed housing. But I don't really believe it will work unless you're very, very lucky. Which you don't seem to be, considering the problem at hand. [Yes, I've tried the "long soak" technique, although not with alcohol - think I'll just drink that]

BTW, blowing won't do any good. You know, I've tried blowing and sucking myself, but it just didn't work out.

Oh, and no rubber has been used in my case. Are you sure you have some rubbers? They should prevent icky liquids from getting in. It would be weird if the section got impregnated although you've used two rubbers.

Anyway, I'm certain there shouldn't be any rubbers. [OK - so they might not be rubber BUT it does look like some sort of seal ... fairly irrelevant as IF they are seals they DIDN'T do their job ... Oh well, time for some consolation chocolate I feel ...] :roflmho:

Good Luck!

Hi, I don't have the same pen as you, but other brands have the same problem, but you can't see it, and then ink leaks out slowly through joints in the section. Two pens I have do this.

You can get over this problem by filling the converter with ink, hold it upside down, then fit the nib section to it, nib facing up. [i may just try this ... thanks]

I think it's possible to pull the nib and feeder out to clean it. Before you do, make a measurement of how far the nib is forward of the feeder below it, as it must be kept like that. (e.g. 3mm ?) [Ooops ... already did this before you said ... however nib now reassembled and seems OK ... so far ... fingers crossed]

I think the converter holds about the same amount of ink as a cartridge, so there's not much advantage, aside from changing ink colours of course. [Can't tell you how disappointed I was to discover this ... my thoughts exactly ... might as well syringe fill a cartridge!!!]

If you don't want to take the nib and feeder out, I would try soaking the nib/feeder/grip section in water overnight, it may be enough to clear it.

AND to cap it all ... I don't even like BLACK ink ... I wanted to load this with all my "pretty colours" that husband has bought for my birthday ... but my birthday isn't until Friday so he won't let me use them ... ergo ... I've decided ... this is ALL HIS FAULT ... :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Mrs FP novice twit here ... I'm sure I've done something stupid ...

Welcome !

I am a veteran twit, for I've done so many more stupid things, you have not

dreamed of. Sometimes, I reflect with astonishment that I survived. (Guardian

Angels and fools, I expect.)

Regrettably, I have no Kaweco fountain pen experience. I do, however, have

experience with FPN, and assure you that help is on the way.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

By the way, to get more ink into the converter you must suck more than once. You must suck a lot.

BTW, blowing won't do any good.

You know, I've tried blowing and sucking myself, but it just didn't work out.

Oh, and no rubber has been used in my case.

Are you sure you have some rubbers?

They should prevent icky liquids from getting in.

It would be weird if the section got impregnated although you've used two rubbers.

Ladies and gentlemen of the board: please don't write messages like this until I've had my coffee or until said coffee has "kicked in," as I'm certain to read them incorrectly. Many thanks.

Which converter are you using? The new aerometric converter or the Monteverde mini converter?

I ask because I had the same issue as you with the Monteverde converter; it was loose and didn't sit on the nipple securely causing ink to leak out into the section.

With the new aerometric converter I haven't had any issues - the converter sits snugly on the nipple. It holds a sad amount of ink though. I wonder why Kaweco, who designed this converter specifically for the Sport, did not decide to make full use of the space in the barrel i.e. making it bigger to hold more ink.

As for ink in the section, I think your best bet would be to soak the section overnight a couple of times.

It would be weird if the section got impregnated although you've used two rubbers.

Ladies and gentlemen of the board: please don't write messages like this until I've had my coffee or until said coffee has "kicked in," as I'm certain to read them incorrectly. Many thanks.

:ltcapd:

That's why my pens multiply when I'm not looking!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I recently bought a Kaweco ICE sport and a converter .... For starters the converter seems absolutely rubbish

Which converter are you using? The new aerometric converter or the Monteverde mini converter?

I ask because I had the same issue as you with the Monteverde converter; it was loose and didn't sit on the nipple securely causing ink to leak out into the section.

With the new aerometric converter I haven't had any issues.

+1 for mAnuscript69's experience.

Good luck, JaquieAnn

:ltcapd:

That's why my pens multiply when I'm not looking!

Iknowrite? They're like :bunny01::bunny01: and all of a sudden :bunny01::bunny01::bunny01::bunny01::bunny01::bunny01::bunny01::bunny01::bunny01::gaah:

But back to the Sport converters: like manuscript69 said, they don't seem to have given the design much thought. Just going by the pics (don't have mine yet) and comparing them to the large Kaweco converter.

To answer previous queries - the converter is the NEW type as supplied by Fontoplumo ... and it does seem to hold a shockingly poor amount of ink. Hey ho ... thanx for all your ideas ... FPN comes up trumps again.

The pen is reassembled now - complete with inky blob showing in the grip section :(

Doing a web search, I turned up a short squeeze converter that looks the same as the one supplied by Fontoplumo. I have some similar to this (they are gold) and they do not fit my Kaweko sports at all. I can force them in and they stick, but it's just the metal sitting in the section, not the nipple sealing.

I wonder if they had some in one batch that did fit properly, and then got a latter batch that does not fit as well? I would contact your vendor and ask, they may be able to help.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

To answer previous queries - the converter is the NEW type as supplied by Fontoplumo ... and it does seem to hold a shockingly poor amount of ink. Hey ho ... thanx for all your ideas ... FPN comes up trumps again.

The pen is reassembled now - complete with inky blob showing in the grip section :(

Hi JaquiAnn, I'll send you a PM.

Hi 79Spitfire, it is a part supplied by Kaweco, to fit their Sport fountain pens.

Frank / Fontoplumo

Edited by FrankvK

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl

I have a transparent Kaweco Sport Classic, and the issue with ink seeping into that part has also affected me, even when only using normal cartridges. I have tried soaking the section in water and then drying it and I got some of it away, but just a week or two later it had new ink seeped into that area again! So now I have more or less given up on it and accepted the ink as part of the pen.