Conid Bulkfiller

watch_art

Up for review today is a pen I came across quite by chance. You'll have to email Francis to get the story on that. ;)

What I will say though, is that compared to the prototype that came before, this thing is simply amazing.

Here we have it closed and posed. Ready to go. In your shirt pocket or pants pocket. The lovely matte titanium clip will hold it in place with no muss no fuss.

med_gallery_41188_9_43712.jpg

Open and ready for business. I mostly used it unposted. I found it a bit back heavy with the cap on even though it posts quite deeply on the barrel. With bigger hands though I could see preferring it posted. Of course, at school I would post it most of the time just so I wouldn't put the cap down and forget about it. ;)

med_gallery_41188_9_64802.jpg

And posted. The o-rings on the back of the barrel hold the cap on quite securely. There's no wobble or wiggle at all. It's very well done.

med_gallery_41188_9_5597.jpg

This nib. Medium. Very very nice. Very wet. Very smooth. One of the nicest nibs I've ever used. The nib unit unscrews with some resistance and when it's out you see a couple of o-rings in there to keep things sealed up nicely.

med_gallery_41188_9_37419.jpg

The filler knob and rod extended - ready to take on some ink. The rod has a slight bend in it so that you're guaranteed ink flow when it's open for writing. I found I very seldom needed to open the knob. Between the seal and feed is a good amount of space for ink. When I ran out I'd crack the seal and give a little shake, then close the knob when I could see some ink in the window. I used this pen for most of January and never ran out of ink. I don't write and draw as much as I used to, and January was a rough month with power outages and being sick, but I still used it quite a bit. Only used about 1/2 a fill. This thing holds a lot of ink. :)

med_gallery_41188_9_13278.jpg

The pen has my favorite shaped section - pinched - and is very comfortable to hold and use for a while at a time.

med_gallery_41188_9_459.jpg

Some doodles made with the prototype I had last year.

med_gallery_41188_9_66273.jpg

med_gallery_41188_9_17544.jpg

Besides the simple cosmetic differences between this prototype and the black delrin model shown above, the threads on the barrel were changed. They look the same, but as soon as I held the black model I could feel the difference. The new threads are much smoother to the touch. It was nice being able to see the parts in there when it came time to move the piston up and down. It was also lots of fun getting to see the ink slosh around and the bubble that would form.

med_gallery_41188_9_187123.jpg

Here's the bubble. :)

med_gallery_41188_9_100075.jpg

med_gallery_41188_9_45851.jpg

med_gallery_41188_9_76686.jpg

Here with the rod extended. The rod on the prototype didn't have the same bend and would sometimes not let ink through to the feed consistently.

med_gallery_41188_9_7666.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• jgysenbergs

• marie9999

• Uncle Red

Thanks Shawn for the wonderful review - on the "Stub of the Day" thread, dcpritch has a CONID Fountainbel FPR Bulkfiller Demonstrator that is just exquisite. Unfortunately, the demonstrator is sold out and I have been unable to find one in the FPN classifieds or ebay, but will definitely continue to watch.

Very nice review, with great pictures. Is that the titanium nib you have on there? how does it feel?

I have a Bulkfiller as well, with another nib though, but I feel the same about it as you do: it's a great pen!

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

Thanks for your nice review Shawn !

Happy reading you felt the latest version you tested was improved in several aspects

Francis

Oh Francis, there's no comparison except for the shape. I was surprised at how different it FELT. I think whatever you did to the metal thread sleeve on the barrel, maybe smoothed the crests or whatever - made a huge difference. It was a great little pen. :) Thanks for letting me play with it.

I have the streamlined Conid in 'permanent' rotation now. It's my everyday writing instrument and - sure as hell - I have to write a lot these days. Shameless plug for a handwritten fact sheet for the Conid Bulkfiller Black and the Conid Bulkfiller Demonstrator with a link to a list of even more fact sheets.

There was some confusion about the stuff the pen is made of. It's Delrin (Dupont trade mark) which is a very strong, indestructible material. It's even FDA approved for use in the food industry so we can stir our morning brew with a Conid Bulkfiller while waiting for inspiration. - JG

The light you see at the end of the tunnel is that of a fast approaching train.