The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy 27 30N

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amantadine

amantadine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:58

A pen that I had been after for a while, thanks to a certain FPN member who won't remain nameless!

Introduction

I have to confess - my desire to go after this pen was based on my reading of MYU's excellent and comprehensive review of the 27. I've never been let down with a modern Lamy pen that I've purchased and so I wanted to try my luck with a vintage - the Lamy 27 seemed ideal. I found a couple of good examples on Ebay a little while ago, but it's the Lamy 27 30n that I am going to review today.

Appearance and Design 6/10

All black plastic with gold furniture the 30n is similar in design to my MB 32. Not terribly exciting but not offensive either! A semi-hooded nib and curved nib section with a nice gold ring at the base (of the section) that suits the rest of the furniture on the pen. The ring sits just above the ink window (which isn't huge and so it is not terribly easy to see inside!). This is an understated design, especially compared to the rolled gold caps of other 27s (including that pictured below).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top: Lamy 27 30n
Middle: Montblanc 32S
Bottom: Lamy 27n

Construction and Quality 8/10

Produced in the 1960s, this pen was sold as NOS. I cannot really make an assessment as to how well it has stood the test of time, but in the month or so I've owned and used this pen it has performed well - no major scratches/cracks. One drawback that makes me worry slightly about the build quality is the weight of this pen - it is very light indeed. My preference is definitely for a heavier pen. Despite the light feel the cap fits securely and posts well. The piston knob/mechanism feels solid to use and I have had no problems filling/emptying this pen over the past month.

Weight and Dimensions 7/10

As mentioned above this pen is a little too light for my tastes.

Capped: 13.2cm
Uncapped: 12.3cm
Posted: 14.3cm

I think I write this in every review - I prefer to use my pens unposted. The 30n is a little too short, although if you prefer to post your pens this is definitely a nice length!

Nib and Performance 8/10

Pen has a semi-hooded 585 nib. I'm not sure of the nib size but it writes like a Western Medium. The nib tip is squared also, rather than rounded. Initially this nib did not suit my way of holding the pen and so I was honestly not enthralled by the nib's performance. Once I was accustomed to the nib I love the smooth wet line it puts down. The nib is also very springy (though not true flex), and although it does require a little more pressure than other pens (e.g. Lamy Safari), it allows for a nice variation in line thickness whilst writing

Posted Image

Filling System and Maintenance 10/10

I'm a sucker for piston fillers! Furthermore this pen is outrageously simple to take apart......and put back together! Cleaning is very simple also. For this I think this pen deserves full marks.

Posted Image

Cost and Value 9/10

I always find this section rather difficult to score. Fountain pens are not just tools for writing, but objects of desire also! I was after this pen for a while before purchasing it and so I didn't mind terribly if I overpaid (which I am pretty sure I did!).

Conclusion 48/60

Not the highest scoring pen - but then I don't think this pen should be judged on the score alone (I know I don't). I love the simple design of the pen, the piston mechanism and its great ink capacity. Once I had gotten used to the nib I found this pen writes beautifully (although the same can't be said about me!).

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 23:13

Great review and pics, thanks! Been after one of these for a while myself.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Sponsored Content

|