Platinum Preppy

ChrisTK

Should have read those reviews before I purchased it. I see some other suggestions that I may use, you recommend a better behaved water-resistant green?

Edited by Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Recoil Rob

• rjbull

• Strombomboli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use Noodler's Marine Green, which is described as semi-bulletproof (I think). In water the green colouring will wash out, though, leaving a greyish line behind. That works ok for me - not sure if it's what you'd be looking for though!

Unfortunately, this extra fine version doesn't seem to be a demonstrator, since it looks as if it is made out of grey instead of clear plastic with lots of print on it. But maybe, this grey stuff is a fake, i.e., only a coating of clear plastic.

If anybody has one of these pens, please let us know what it actually is!

I'd be interested in the extra fine nib, but not in the grey barrel.

I e-mailed Cult Pens. Here's their reply:

"I have checked our stock and the 03 and 05 Preppy’s both have clear barrels. The new 02 Preppy, however, has a clear and grey barrel but it is mostly grey."

I e-mailed Cult Pens. Here's their reply:

"I have checked our stock and the 03 and 05 Preppy’s both have clear barrels. The new 02 Preppy, however, has a clear and grey barrel but it is mostly grey."

I have a sneaking suspicion that the grey, like the text and colouring on the existing Preppies, is painted on. I use non-acetone-based nail polish remover to clean the barrels off these (now) older-style pens - and I wouldn't be surprised if it removed the grey as well. They're not available in Australia right now, though - so it'll have to wait till the next time I place an order with the Goulets...

I have a sneaking suspicion that the grey, like the text and colouring on the existing Preppies, is painted on. I use non-acetone-based nail polish remover to clean the barrels off these (now) older-style pens - and I wouldn't be surprised if it removed the grey as well. They're not available in Australia right now, though - so it'll have to wait till the next time I place an order with the Goulets...

I'm surprised; I'd've expected that anything aggressive enough to remove the coating would inevitably "frost" the barrel.

You could order from Cult Pens, but that would probably cost more in postage and leave you waiting longer.

Apparently Platinum have not only improved the nibs in the latest version of the Preppy, they've improved its seals as well, so it can last longer unused. I wonder where that leaves their Plaisir model, a metal equivalent of the Preppy,

I'm surprised; I'd've expected that anything aggressive enough to remove the coating would inevitably "frost" the barrel.

You could order from Cult Pens, but that would probably cost more in postage and leave you waiting longer.

Apparently Platinum have not only improved the nibs in the latest version of the Preppy, they've improved its seals as well, so it can last longer unused. I wonder where that leaves their Plaisir model, a metal equivalent of the Preppy,

Definitely no frosting of the barrel - I've used two different "non-acetone" nail polish removers, both with the same result. Don't know what the active ingredient is, though - they were both generic brands purchased from a supermarket and a 'Reject Shop' respectively.

I'm not in a great hurry to place another overseas order right now - but I have to admit you've got me intrigued re the improved seals. Will definitely have to look into it!

Can you still swap out the nib for the marker and/or highlighter tips?

Definitely no frosting of the barrel - I've used two different "non-acetone" nail polish removers, both with the same result. Don't know what the active ingredient is, though - they were both generic brands purchased from a supermarket and a 'Reject Shop' respectively.

I'm not in a great hurry to place another overseas order right now - but I have to admit you've got me intrigued re the improved seals. Will definitely have to look into it!

Can you still swap out the nib for the marker and/or highlighter tips?

I suppose the "non-acetone" solvent must be the key, but suspect you were fairly lucky to get rid of the coating without damaging the barrel! Still, the Preppy is an inexpensive pen...

I don't know if you can actually swap out the nib for highlighter tips, but, Cult Pens also list a Preppy highlighter (in five colours) here: and it's even cheaper than the Preppy FP. Another possibility would be trying Pelikan's highlighter ink for FPs, but a Preppy FP nib would be a mite narrow for that to be effective. The Preppy highlighter tip looks broader, from the web site pictures.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I just got in some of the new ones, all the nibs are now silver.

I have 3 of the older ones, green, blue and black, with the color coded nibs. The black one I selected specifically for use with Noodlers Black Eel at work. It's a wet environment and I figured my notes will hold better.

The other day I was using the pen and I noticed the nib looked funny. At first I thought it was dried ink flaking off but then I realized it was the nib coating peeling off. I surmise the Noodlers ink had lifted the coating. The nib is now mostly silver, no big deal, but that is why I used a Preppy with the Noodlers.

post-56322-0-20995700-1432591163_thumb.jpg

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

Ah well, that's maybe the good thing about such very 'affordable' pens, eh? 'Looks like it's still working, at least!

I've just order three 0.5 violet Platinum Preppies and was looking forward to the purple nibs, so I'm dismayed to read that they're now silver. Oh well, they will make useful first line fountain pens for testing purple ink mixes. I've almost perfected a water-resistant purple, now it's just a question of getting the shade right.

Removing the bar code etc would be nice; it seems that non-acetone nail polish remover does the trick?

I've just order three 0.5 violet Platinum Preppies and was looking forward to the purple nibs, so I'm dismayed to read that they're now silver. Oh well, they will make useful first line fountain pens for testing purple ink mixes. I've almost perfected a water-resistant purple, now it's just a question of getting the shade right.

Removing the bar code etc would be nice; it seems that non-acetone nail polish remover does the trick?

Yep, non-acetone nail polish remover worked well for me - to be safe, though, I'd rinse it off as soon as it's done its job!

I just got the pack of 7 Preppy converters from China through eBay, they work well, hold about half the ink of the cartridge but for me it's not a big issue since I will be using them with Noodlers inks and it will force me to clean them more often.

Does anyone know the purpose of the steel ball in the cartridges and converters? Does it keep the ink mixed when it moves around, like the steel ball in a can of spray paint? If so it sounds like it would be useful for the J. Herbin 1670 inks, the ones with the gold dust in them.

Edited by Recoil Rob

I just got the pack of 7 Preppy converters from China through eBay, they work well, hold about half the ink of the cartridge but for me it's not a big issue since I will be using them with Noodlers inks and it will force me to clean them more often.

Does anyone know the purpose of the steel ball in the cartridges and converters? Does it keep the ink mixed when it moves around, like the steel ball in a can of spray paint? If so it sounds like it would be useful for the J. Herbin 1670 inks, the ones with the gold dust in them.

In a word, yes.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I've read that the steel ball (or in other cartridges, a little spring) also breaks the surface tension to keep the ink flowing.