Platinum Preppy

ChrisTK

I wonder if you could find a cheapo ballpoint or a cheap plastic cap online or something and cut the end off the pretty barrel. Then use the cap to seal it and you'd have an easier and less messy way of filling.

For example, something like this: (rough guess on the end barrel diameter is about 10mm, so around 3/8")

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Plastic_Flush_Type_Hole_Plugs_p/pas1302-100.htm

http://cdn3.volusion.com/9wsnr.t9nao/v/vspfiles/photos/PAS1302-100-2.jpg?1391549283

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-NPT-Male-Thread-Plastic-Oil-Plug-Yellow-5-Pieces-/230917449481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c3c0a709

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTEwMFgxMTAw/z/FvYAAOxy-sRSX-X7/$(KGrHqR,!nYFJPFq3okfBS(-(6oyU!~~60_57.JPG

Let me know if you try this. I'm gonna post it in another thread and see if someone else has tried / can try something similar.

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Recoil Rob

• rjbull

• Strombomboli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish the Preppy were designed to be used with a Platinum converter.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I have successfully removed the labelling on my Preppys with a 'non-acetone'-based nail polish remover (I found it in the kids' bathroom - it's a generic product from a local supermarket chain, so I can't even give you a brand name!). No idea what they use instead of the acetone, but it didn't cause the plastic to cloud up at all (BTW, the V-Pen uses a different plastic that's less see-through - so you can't expect the same result!). The nail-polish remover worked much, much faster than the isopropyl alcohol I'd tried previously - the surface it left behind was nice and shiny, and the plastic was still perfectly see-through.

I think you CAN use the Preppy with a Platinum converter - but you're putting a $10 converter into a $3 pen. Or you could go looking on eBay for Platinum-compatible converters that are closer to $1-2 apiece - and avoid overcapitalising that way!

I think you CAN use the Preppy with a Platinum converter - but you're putting a $10 converter into a $3 pen. Or you could go looking on eBay for Platinum-compatible converters that are closer to $1-2 apiece - and avoid overcapitalising that way!

On Platinum's web site, they say Preppy can only take the cartridge. I have several Platinum converters in my stock and I can use one of them if Preppy can take a converter. I believe the size of the barrel is too short for the converter. Otherwise, Platinum would've indicated the pen can be used with either a converter or a cartridge.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

On Platinum's web site, they say Preppy can only take the cartridge. I have several Platinum converters in my stock and I can use one of them if Preppy can take a converter. I believe the size of the barrel is too short for the converter. Otherwise, Platinum would've indicated the pen can be used with either a converter or a cartridge.

The eBay converter fits. I just tried it.

Best regards,

Klaus

I know Goulet Pens sell a Platinum cartridge converter (for $7.50) that's supposed to fit in the Preppy (check their website) - but I can't speak from personal experience. I did, though, buy a set of 7 'all-plastic, slide-type' cartridge converters (I suspect non-genuine, though they're stamped 'Platinum') on eBay for $7.90, international delivery included - and I can confirm that those DO fit. Honestly, I'd be surprised if the info on the Platinum website was correct - again, for me, it's a question of whether you'd want to pay more for the cartridge converter than the pen itself is worth - especially if there are cheaper alternatives available!

• 11 months later...

A bit late to the party here and a noob to boot, I just filled my first Preppy with Watermans black, eyedropper conversion. I got it from Goulet and got the converter o rings. I find the .03 nib line to be more of what I'd expect from a medium nib than a fine, anyone else share that view?

Also, I find that the pen will lose a drop of ink form time to time, kind of messy. Again, anyone else or just me? Could possibly be the ink but Watermans is pretty benign stuff.

Lastly, is the nib removed by simply pulling? I can't seem to get it out. (By the way, if you find a good hardware store they will have a selection of small o rings for 25-50 cents each, you should be able to find one for any pen you wish to convert, they will also have silicone plumber's grease for the threads, no cheaper than ordering with the pen but if you ever need one it's there).

Edited by Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

I find the .03 nib line to be more of what I'd expect from a medium nib than a fine

According to Cult Pens latest newsletter (#24), which you can read here: http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1ab5e366519bd5934cfdde12b&id=12736def20&e=63aacb3a60

Platinum have recently upgraded the Preppy and added a fine 0.2 version. You can find details of that one here: http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PT41858/platinum-preppy-fountain-pen-02-extra-fine?utm_source=Penorama&utm_campaign=12736def20-Penorama_january_2015_4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f00b7d68ef-12736def20-59370393

... Also, I find that the pen will lose a drop of ink form time to time, kind of messy. Again, anyone else or just me? Could possibly be the ink but Watermans is pretty benign stuff.

Lastly, is the nib removed by simply pulling? I can't seem to get it out. (By the way, if you find a good hardware store they will have a selection of small o rings for 25-50 cents each, you should be able to find one for any pen you wish to convert, they will also have silicone plumber's grease for the threads, no cheaper than ordering with the pen but if you ever need one it's there).

Haven't experienced problems with my Preppys losing a drop of ink, but it sounds to me like yours could be 'burping'. That happens with eyedropper filled pens when they're less than 2/3 to half-full - the air in the pen body is prone to expand as it's warmed by your hand, and force ink out through the nib and feed.

Your nib should be removable - but you'll notice from the picture that's (hopefully) below, the nib sits on the end of a long plastic 'rod' that inserts all the way through the grip section of the pen. So you may have to pull a little harder than you have been - but no sideways movement, or you could bend or crack the rod!

http://i.imgur.com/hklnszz.jpg

[Please forgive my inability to find better / more technical terminology to describe this pen - I have no idea what function the 'rod' has in the pen, other than holding the nib in place. I don't *think* it's part of the feed system, but who knows...?]

Unfortunately, this extra fine version doesn't seem to be a demonstrator, since it looks as if it is made out of grey instead of clear plastic with lots of print on it. But maybe, this grey stuff is a fake, i.e., only a coating of clear plastic.

If anybody has one of these pens, please let us know what it actually is!

I'd be interested in the extra fine nib, but not in the grey barrel.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

I'm interested to know if the newer nibs are interchangelable wit the older ones, I want a green Preppy with an XF nib.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

I'm interested to know if the newer nibs are interchangelable wit the older ones, I want a green Preppy with an XF nib.

I'd be quite surprised if it didn't, but... stranger things have happened. Not in a position to try this directly, though - I haven't got any of the newer Preppies.

Unfortunately, this extra fine version doesn't seem to be a demonstrator, since it looks as if it is made out of grey instead of clear plastic with lots of print on it. But maybe, this grey stuff is a fake, i.e., only a coating of clear plastic.

If anybody has one of these pens, please let us know what it actually is!

I'd be interested in the extra fine nib, but not in the grey barrel.

Appears to be printed on much like the labelling on the old model - just more of it.

Cheers, Al

And the answer appears to be yes. At least the section from my 0.2 securely screws into my 0.3 barrel and vice versa. I didn't go any farther that that, because the two barrels have different inks in them.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Problem is finding them, I want to place an order at Goulets but am waiting for these to come back in stock.

Yeh, delays. I had to wait for them to come in stock and by the time I reacted the black was gone so I settled for a blue.

This pen is like writing with a needle. Compare it to a Pilot G-Tec-C3 0.3 roller ball for line width and overall feel.

Although a needle, it does not drag nor is it a paper shredder, as I call some of the less well made F nibs from other inexpensive pens.

I had mine made into an eyedropper and so far, leak free.

I have 5 and the wife has 2. All perform above "their pay grade" as they say.

I haven't tried to remove any of the labelling on this one.

I tried on my 0.3 red one, using my wife's CVS nail polish remover. It worked but be patient, it takes some rubbing with a paper towel and a little elbow grease to slowly remove it.

Hopefully you will enjoy your pen when you get it. Good Luck.

ps the green may be worth waiting for, it will probably look pretty cool.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

As far as I can tell the green is only in Fine & Medium. I keep a hunting journal and I like to use green ink, I use Noodlers Big Bad Gator because it's waterproof, but the PP Fine puts too much ink down, bleeds right through the journal. I'll just put the Green Cap on a Black XF and fill it with BBG.

Recoil:

Is it the paper causing the issue or the amount of ink put down? I don't experience that with either my 0.3 or 0.5's. Just curious.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

I've tried it on 4 different papers, all bled. One was a plain pad (mediocre), one a Moleskin Journal ( the worst), a Markings Journal (not much better), and some pages from an expired At A Glance book), the best but not very good.

Not sure if it could also be the ink but the bottom line is I am not going to take a more expensive pen afield and I need the waterproof qualities of the ink. Less ink, less bleed through so I'll try an XF.

Noodler's Green Gator is (I believe) pretty notorious for this kind of behaviour - especially on cheaper papers. Just check out the reviews on this site and I think you'll find it's a common complaint. The XF nib may well help to 'tame' the ink by reducing flow - it's certainly worth a shot! - but I think the problems being described here are not really the fault of the Platinum Preppy.