Learning To Draw With Pen & Ink

daniellem

That clinches it. I'm ordered the Lohan books, too.

Nice work there, daniellem!

Likewise, ether.

Very nicely done, dani.

nulla dies sine linea

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daniellem

• Sailor Kenshin

• candidvn

• notbob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really enjoying this thread. It is fun watching people become encouraged and enthused with drawing. Daniellem, you are an inspiration!

Here are a couple from my sketchbook.

This is, far too often, what my meeting notes look like. It can be a little embarrassing when someone asks to see my notes after the meeting.

fpn_1365030422__meeting_notes.jpg

This is a lizard that modeled for me. I was amazed at how long it sat there, it felt like I should go catch it a bug in payment. Towards the end it would turn and look at me with an "Are you about done?" look then resume the pose.

fpn_1365031082__lizard-1.jpg

Fred

That clinches it. I'm ordered the Lohan books, too.

Nice work there, daniellem!

Likewise, ether.

Very nicely done, dani.

Woohoo! Thanks Ethernautrix, Notbob -- I'm looking forward to seeing your sketches! :clap1:

I'm really enjoying this thread. It is fun watching people become encouraged and enthused with drawing. Daniellem, you are an inspiration!

This is, far too often, what my meeting notes look like. It can be a little embarrassing when someone asks to see my notes after the meeting.

fpn_1365030422__meeting_notes.jpg

This is a lizard that modeled for me. I was amazed at how long it sat there, it felt like I should go catch it a bug in payment. Towards the end it would turn and look at me with an "Are you about done?" look then resume the pose.

fpn_1365031082__lizard-1.jpg

Thank you, Sketchy -- these are great! Can I ask how long it took you to complete each one? I draw so slowly, that I find it next to impossible to capture anything living -- people or animals. They just move around too much. Hopefully I'll get faster over time. You were very lucky to find such a willing model in that lizard! I am especially looking at how you achieve the textures and dark tones in the woman's jacket and the ground underneath the lizard, they are so well done.

Love your meeting "notes", that's way better than bullet points and underlines...

[Hi notbob, please do post your pen and ink sketches here, it will be fun to share the adventure with others learning this medium!

Baby steps.......

fpn_1365060356__send_hello_kitty.jpg

nulla dies sine linea

Beautiful thread!

I find that drawing with ink is not very forgiving, the hand must be steady and it should know what it does, as ink is not as easy to erase or fix as pencil is. :unsure:

Recently I have started to draw more, but not all of the drawings have been as good as I want them to be. Sigh.

I keep reading and admiring posts of people here, artists by profession or by soul, as wishing one day to be as good as them.

Here are some of mine:

http://silviaspace.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/2-04042013828.jpg

http://silviaspace.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/1-victor-drawing.jpg

and a recent blog post about drawings - http://silviaspace.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/the-need-to-put-things-on-paper/

I still draw only with one pen at a time - and not a flexible one at that. Once I prepared a pen with F nib, and one with a wet M, and by the end of my sketch realized that the M stayed unused, in my concentration I had forgotten all about. Oh well... :)

Beautiful thread!

I find that drawing with ink is not very forgiving, the hand must be steady and it should know what it does, as ink is not as easy to erase or fix as pencil is. :unsure:

Recently I have started to draw more, but not all of the drawings have been as good as I want them to be. Sigh.

I keep reading and admiring posts of people here, artists by profession or by soul, as wishing one day to be as good as them.

I know exactly how you feel! My goal this year is to spend at least 20 minutes every day practicing drawing -- more when I have the time, but 20 minutes is do-able even on most busy days. That way I always feel like I'm making progress, some days more than others...

I like your drawings very much, thanks for sharing them!

Awesome Hello Kitty! What pen(s) and ink did you use?

It's Diamine Wild Strawberry in a flex Creaper on Tomoe River cream paper. Unfortunately, I forgot to erase the pencil marks and switch my camera's white balance to daylight (LEDs), hence the overall blue tinge which is hiding the heavy green sheen of this ink. DOH!

nulla dies sine linea

I love your drawing of the couple, Sketchy. That's the kind of pen n' ink drawings I'd like to be able to do. Perhaps one day.

If you folks are not already aware of it, an FPN regular named plistumi is doing ink cartoon illustrations of Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary. It's an ongoing project and she is positively brilliant in how she lays down oceans of ink in these drawing. A real learning opportunity: Devil's Dictionary thread link

nulla dies sine linea

Beautiful thread!

Here are some of mine:

http://silviaspace.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/2-04042013828.jpg

http://silviaspace.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/1-victor-drawing.jpg

and a recent blog post about drawings - http://silviaspace.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/the-need-to-put-things-on-paper/

I still draw only with one pen at a time - and not a flexible one at that. Once I prepared a pen with F nib, and one with a wet M, and by the end of my sketch realized that the M stayed unused, in my concentration I had forgotten all about. Oh well... :)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Oooo, shinyyyy. 'Red' looks like a Miyazaki character!

What color inks did you use?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If you folks are not already aware of it, an FPN regular named plistumi is doing ink cartoon illustrations of Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary. It's an ongoing project and she is positively brilliant in how she lays down oceans of ink in these drawing. A real learning opportunity: Devil's Dictionary thread link

Good of you to point out plistumi's work. I don't want to brag (okay, maybe I do a little bit), but I've seen these notebooks in person, and they're even more amazing. I'm a little jealous (by which I mean that I am inspired but also lazy).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Good of you to point out plistumi's work. I don't want to brag.....

Oh, go on and brag! Heck, I'm a bit jealous of you for having met her. ;)

nulla dies sine linea

She came to the SF Pen Show last year and the LA Pen Show this year, I'll bet if you go to a couple of pen shows, you'll cross paths with her. :-)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

What a great thread. I'm sorry I didn't notice this before. So many talented FPN members. I feel inspired :).

I usually work in pencil but for the past year or two I have tried to develop a looser style and have been going to our local lake to do some pen and ink sketches with ink washes. It's a great way to use up those last few drops of ink that you don't know what to do with.

Here are two of my sketches from last year. I've got a lot to learn but I did have fun with these. I'm definitely going to look into the Lohan books.

This is one that I did at our local lake. Line work is done with a Pilot Varsity filled with Noodler's Lexington Gray

post-70913-0-52271100-1365189353.jpg

This was done by candlelight during Hurricane Sandy. Inspired by the events going on outside.

post-70913-0-64508500-1365189558.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread daniellem.

This was done by candlelight during Hurricane Sandy. Inspired by the events going on outside.

Wow!

What an awesome interplay between light/heavy lines and blank space. You can feel the turmoil. Like the drawing, I'm blown away. ;)

nulla dies sine linea

Good of you to point out plistumi's work. I don't want to brag (okay, maybe I do a little bit), but I've seen these notebooks in person, and they're even more amazing. I'm a little jealous (by which I mean that I am inspired but also lazy).

Wow -- that is an amazing thread and an impressive body of work. "Oceans of ink" is right! It must be amazing to see in person. I haven't had the chance to go through the whole thread yet -- is it all in one book or does it span several sketchbooks now? I so admire both plistumi's talent, and ability to stay with such a long-term project. The results are just... wow!

What a great thread. I'm sorry I didn't notice this before. So many talented FPN members. I feel inspired :).

I usually work in pencil but for the past year or two I have tried to develop a looser style and have been going to our local lake to do some pen and ink sketches with ink washes. It's a great way to use up those last few drops of ink that you don't know what to do with.

Here are two of my sketches from last year. I've got a lot to learn but I did have fun with these. I'm definitely going to look into the Lohan books.

This is one that I did at our local lake. Line work is done with a Pilot Varsity filled with Noodler's Lexington Gray

post-70913-0-52271100-1365189353.jpg

post-70913-0-64508500-1365189558.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread daniellem.

Rita, your sketches are gorgeous! I have always been drawn to bold, graphic linework, and the tree is a great example of that. The lake scene is just lovely. Are the color washes ink, or watercolor?