Taccia Savanna

watch_art

For now just pictures - just to get a spot in the index. ;)

Later lots of stuff.

A couple of links:

http://www.taccia.com/savanna.html

http://www.nibs.com/...ntain-pens.html

And when they say this is hand crafted, they're not even almost exaggerating. When I met the head of Taccia at the Arkansas Pen Show, she showed up some process photos. The horn is shaped by hand on a sort of belt sander tool. Very cool.

At the end of the day, March 10, Sunday at the Arkansas Pen Show, I entered at the LAST minute for one of the raffles. A pen that I had donated was up, a leather bag, and then the Taccia Savanna, the buffalo horn pen hand shaped to look like a piece of bamboo. Absolutely gorgeous. AND I WON!! I couldn’t believe it! So awesome! The whole place lit up with laughter and some applause and I was absolutely giddy! What made it even better was getting to pose with the head of Taccia herself!

Here I am after winning the pen with the head of Taccia! :)

med_gallery_41188_9_4229.jpg

Pen closed.

med_gallery_41188_9_32461.jpg

It's very easy to photograph - it looks great from all angles.

med_gallery_41188_9_47028.jpg

It feels great too. You look at it and think - aw this is going to feel weird - but NO. It's totally amazing.

med_gallery_41188_9_52944.jpg

By the way... how does it write?

Like magic! It's awesome. It's smooth and wet and absolutely perfect. Whoever tuned this nib does great work.

So pretty. Even the ends look great.

med_gallery_41188_9_42843.jpg

The name engraved on the cap end.

med_gallery_41188_9_5256.jpg

All opened up...

med_gallery_41188_9_43015.jpg

A look at the threads. You have to be a bit careful when putting the cap on so you don't cross thread it. So yeah - you have to take your time with it, but it's pretty awesome anyways. :)

med_gallery_41188_9_93844.jpg

And a CLIP! If you want to carry it around, you slip this leather thing over the cap and it clips to your shirt.

med_gallery_41188_9_4578.jpg

Very similar to when Japanese women would tie a small knife to their shirts. Back when everybody carried little knives around in their shirts. At least that's how I understood the story... I can't find anything about it online b/c I don't know any of the terms... help? :)

And here's all the cool stuff and leather zipper pack...

med_gallery_41188_9_40622.jpg

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• BillZ

• lizncats

• parnesh

For now just pictures - just to get a spot in the index. ;)

Later lots of stuff.

A couple of links:

http://www.taccia.com/savanna.html

http://www.nibs.com/...ntain-pens.html

And when they say this is hand crafted, they're not even almost exaggerating. When I met the head of Taccia at the Arkansas Pen Show, she showed up some process photos. The horn is shaped by hand on a sort of belt sander tool. Very cool.

Here I am after winning the pen with the head of Taccia! :)

Pen closed.

med_gallery_41188_9_32461.jpg

WOW! What a wonderful pen! Cool design & details! Enjoy your pen Shawn.

Edited by watch_art

Congrats on the pen! Glad to read that the different look does not detract from the writing experience. I have a Taccia Overture and it performs very well.

Thanks for the great review - I've been looking at this pen but your photos really help me get a better idea of what the pen is like!

• 7 months later...

Okay - so update. I haven't really been using this pen much... uhm... :)

So I cleaned it out yesterday just so it would be clean. The brown ink from March? Yeah - that same ink. It's just been sitting with Waterman's brown and it started up IMMEDIATELY. I couldn't believe it. Anywho - it's clean now. ;)

• 1 month later...

Picked one up yesterday at Dromgoole's in Houston. Beautiful pen!!! Mine has a clip attached. The nib is by Sailor. Very smooth. It's an M

but it writes like a European F. Only thing I've noticed is that it can't be posted but I don't at very much anyway.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

The brochure that came with it reads" The fountain pen's nib has been upgraded;made by the best nib manufacturer in Japan that features a flexible two-tone F, M, or B Japanese stainless steel nib." It is listed as a Savanna Collection SE. I don't know if that means Second Edition

or Special Edition. It does read that it takes Sailor cartridges.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

• 4 weeks later...

I got my Savannah at the DC Fountain Pen Show several years ago. I absolutely love it! It writes beautifully, feels good to hold, and is beautiful and unique. Taccia comes up with the most wonderful pens.

• 5 years later...

I have a similar looking pen made of horn picked from Taiwan with Opus 88 branding few years back!