New Large Size Design.y Journal!

GutSchrift

"It appears to have been damaged in transport so one corner is creased and all the inside pages are bent (though the outer box looked allright"

Well this certainly takes the shine off. Especially given the amount of time and the anticiaption factor rolled up into waiting for the jewel to arrive. I hope an amicable resolution can be worked out. I can just see those Raden pens gliding smothly across the pages.

Interested to hear how this ends.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrCodfish

• elderberry

• SamCapote

• WOBentley

Looks like a happy end. I've had a quick reply from design-y with an apology and the info that they would send me another EP Record with elastic closure! A very generous solution which I wouldn't have expected. Hopefully the next one will survive transit better. They do have a long journey.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

I've used all of their products and can't stop raving about them. I've been plugging them to everyone and anyone who'll listen~

"Looks like a happy end."

That is good news. I am not totally surprized, I got the impression both from the warrantee note that accompanied the journal I received, plus Yoshino - san's caution in making sure he could produce a durable product BEFOR he introduced this larger format that quality control and customer care were important to him.

• 7 months later...

So, the (roughly) A5 I purchased last year has remained on the shelf, unused and in its original packaging. I have been saving it for a new, important writing project. Something that would honor the incredible workmanship of this notebook.

On a whim, this morning, on the way out the door, I decided to make this journal my everyday, always carry it in my bag journal for 2014. The first entry in the book (with a Pelikan M800 w/ yama budo ink) is nothing more than a few notes from a quick discussion with my boss. But I think that is ok.

For those who have been using these for some time, how do they hold up under daily wear and tear?

Oh, great, another obsession.

• 1 month later...

Time to resurrect this thread! LOL. I think I may have to add one of these to my 5 other Design.Y journals! ;)

EDIT: Well, I now have one of these on order. Help me someone. ;)

Edited by RPB

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a journal from Design-Y about 10 days ago and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I too am concerned with durability as I want to be able to take this with me when traveling. Has anyone put a cover on the journal and if so what cover? Thank you

I have been using mine for just shy of a year now. I am half way through it and other than the written pages being slightly 'fluffed' (you can tell by looking where I am in the journal) the thing looks great. Thwe goatskin cover is begining to show slight signs of use ( an enhancement or wabi sabi in my mind). Please note, I have carried this afield, and while traveling but not ofeten and not in 'adverse' conditions. The cover, binding, elastic closing strap and page marker thread all have held up just great for me. Yoshino-san sent a spare elastic band but I don't think I will be needing it. I do not use a cover (the cover of the journal itself is beautiful) and it stands nested among other journals on a book shelf most of the time it is not in use.

I was fearful that the hand crafted binding would not hold up and that it would fall apart. That has not happened and it reminds me of the facf that all of the antique and ancient books that exist today were all made by hand, just as my Design Y journal is. One thing to watch out for: It is so well crafted and the paper is so fine that you have to take care not to turn two pages when you thought you were turning just one.

The beauty of this tome, and the writing experience make my evening comment on the day an added pleasure. I am pretty sure that I'll be buying another in six months time, and just as a matter of insurance I will probably buy two because I cannot see 24 months into the future except that, at my current rate I will probably be finishing up my second Design Y volume about then, and I am pretty sure I wil want a third.

I have learned to be cautious with my endorsements, especially with luxe items such as this. But I will say, I'm hooked and will be buying more as I need them.

I'm so frustrated! Mine has taken 48 hours to get to the UK and has sat with Parcelforce and customs since the 5th March!!! Still no sign of delivery. Lazy slow bas****s

Finally opened mine today after picking it up this morning and having to wait as I was at work all afternoon.

Another superb journal to make my 6th Design.Y book and added to my collection. IT smell a little chemical at the moment as it is brand new ,however the leather will come good shortly. A superbly crafted book.

Cant wait to enjoy using this one :)

Edited by RPB

• 1 year later...

These are beautiful journals. Can someone tell me the difference between the goatskin and cow skin leather? Do they feel the same? Are they treated in some way? I've been looking for a journal with a leather cover that will age like an antique book, you know?

I still don't own any other Design.Y notebooks besides the two EP records, but the goatskin on mine is quite heavily treated. It still feels very nice but it will need a more than usual amount of wear and tear to look "antique", it's not like the leather used for Midori's traveler's notebooks which looks like it's been around the world after you've used it for a week.

You might want to take a look at Italian leather journals, these frequently are made in the style you are looking for.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

How have these held up? I know Tomoe paper is suddenly everywhere and in every form but these journals just look so good I may end up getting one (or two!).

How have these held up? I know Tomoe paper is suddenly everywhere and in every form but these journals just look so good I may end up getting one (or two!).

Best damn notebooks in the whole world. I've been using them exclusively for the past five years (gone through about ten). Cannot and will not use anything else.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Best damn notebooks in the whole world. I've been using them exclusively for the past five years (gone through about ten). Cannot and will not use anything else.

Have to agree. I don't use them exclusively as I'm a doodler, & they're too good for that purpose, but they are very special indeed & I love mine.

Verba volant, scripta manent