Posting A Nakaya (Or Any Urushi Pen)?

cnjackson

My three Nakayas (One Blue Dragon, One Kuro-tamenuri and the long Piccolo)are all about the size of a Pelikan M800. I just prefer to use all pens posted as the balance is better for me. I suspect a Piccolo would be far too small for my hand. :) The nibs are broad or medium, but all have been ground to finer cursive italics making them about the same width as European fine nibs.

Edited by TDL

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cnjackson

• JustinJ

• TDL

• Tinjapan

I use the Dorsal Fin everyday for writing. It is probably my favorite Nakaya pen for writing. It is a big pen but is very comfortable to hold. It does not feel big in the hand. There are several women on FPN who have a Dorsal Fin with normal size hands. So it is not a huge size pen that is hard to use.

I have a two tone soft fine on the Dorsal Fin. The nib has a nice give to it when you write. The Dorsal Fin is weighted perfectly. It is neither forward or rearward weighted. The Nakaya Soft fine is my favorite nib for writing. I can write for extended periods of time without my hand tiring.

The Dorsal Fin has a certain ruggedness to it that my other Nakaya pens lack. I do not worry about scratches or it breaking if it were to fall. It is a great solid pen. The Dorsal Fin does not get a lot of reviews or posts on FPN. I think it is an underrated and overlooked Nakaya pen model. The stone finish fits the pen's personality well. I had a hard time deciding between the tami-nuri and the ishi-me. I made the right choice going with the stone finish. My personal feelings are that the stone finish is the best choice for the Dorsal Fin. The simple green midori finish has a very nice organic feel to it. If I had to sell my Nakaya pens, the Dorsal Fin would be the last one that I would sell.

The Decapod Twist has a Nakaya Firm Fine Two Tone Gold nib. I had the pen setup for Mathematics. The nib is set at about a 4 on John's scale at nibs.com . It still writes very nicely. Also, I will use the Decapod Twist for puzzles, crosswords, or notes in a book while reading in bed. My Decapod Twist reminds me of an excellent made mechanical pencil. It is great for drawing.

My Neo Standard in the Black Hairline has a medium soft ruthenium plated nib. My Neo Standard is my least used Nakaya. For some reason, I find the grip section a little narrow. The weight is more towards the back of the hand. One thing that I love about my Neo Standard is the hairline finish. The finish is quite beautiful especially in the soft light by my desk at night. The shape of the Neo Standard is a very elegant shape compared to the Decapod Twist and the Dorsal Fin.

The writing experience with the medium soft nib gives a little more feedback then the two tone gold. It allows for a preciseness and has a different writing characteristic than the two tone gold nibs. The medium nib is a little broader than I like. Sometimes when writing with this nib there is a certain state of bliss, especially when the pen and nib are working together, there is something magical about it. The ruthenium plated nib has lots of character.

I have been thinking about trading my Nakaya Neo Standard for the last six months. I do not use it as often as my other Nakaya pens. It is just hard for me to think about letting it go. It is strange to say you have attachment to a pen but I do. I am considering trading it for another Nakaya but not sure which one.

JustinJ--Thank you for these reflections on your Nakayas and their nibs: it helps so much (and is so interesting) to see how others use their pens!

Your words about the Dorsal Fin only whet my appetite for one: I too would want to get one in the ishime finish--probably the black, though I think yours is just stunning. I'm glad to know it can be something of a daily user, as nice as it is.

I also like the lines of the Neo Standard, and I think I can understand the attachment you describe.

I've read about the soft-fine and soft-medium nibs, but I'm still not sure what that means. Is it that they have a bit of springiness to them, not to say flex?

Thanks again!

Chris

Thank you TDL and Easily Amused--it's good to know that you can post your Nakayas if you have to or want to. I don't think I'm too concerned about not scratching the finish, but I suppose I'd prefer not to scratch it!

Chris

The soft fine and soft medium nibs are not flex nibs. They will show some line variation but they allow for a cushion type feel when you are writing. The soft nibs have a give on the paper.

I like the way a soft nib gives while writing. It reminds me of a paint brush. On the down strokes the nib gives and then as an upstroke is started it is a little firmer. I really noticed the soft quality in the nibs, when I started learning Spencerian Script. You have to count as you make the letters. I observed there was a certain rhythm to writing. The soft nibs seem to accentuate the strokes. The give of the nib is like a beat in music. With the firm nibs, this aspect of writing is lost.

I've noticed that many people do not like soft nibs. If you like the firmer nibs or your favorite pen is a firm nib, then stick with firm nibs. There is a learning curve with softer nibs. They are not good for people with heavy hands.

Urushi is used by the Japaneses to cover spoons, cups and samurai armour. Although posting may cause some minor wear, it's certainly not going to destroy your pen. And yes, it's your pen so do what you like with it.

To me, it's a pen first so don't be afraid to use it. I used to baby my pens until I realised that they are pens which are meant to be written with!

If you're worried about resale value, buy gold bullion.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Looking at my Nakayas now. There is certainly no sign of them being posted each and every time they are used.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

• 2 years later...

Awesome Nakayas JustinJ and TDL (I'm currently struggling not to buy that blue dragon, thanks to your review!).

I don't post my nakayas either, but did out of habit and by accident once on my Piccolo (I think because I always slam the cap onto the barrel of my FC Pocket 40, and size-wise, must have got confused!)...I'm pleased to report no damage.

But there is a LOT of conflicting advice. Everyone says how tough urushi is, but they all advise against posting the cap for fear of damaging it.

I wish I'd grabbed an Ao-tanenuri Dorsal Fin 1 before they were discontinued...