Camera Suggestions - Good Macro For Idiots

ksh

I've managed to get to age 54 thinking it would be cool to learn how to use a real camera, but never doing it. I think it's too late. I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 that I am happy with, except when I take close-ups of pens. I was looking at the Sony RX-100, but think I'm not up to it. Looking for suggestions on a small point & shoot with good macro.

Keith

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ksh

• hendrixstrat

• Larry T

• heymatthew

Keith,

I should probably preface this by saying that nothing will compare to a good DSLR with a proper macro lens and good lighting equipment. But, for the average consumer, this stuff is wasteful and unnecessary. So you're going to want to get something... dare I say, "Cheaper?" I hate that word... Let's go with "inexpensive." There... That's better.

In my experience, most "point and shoot" cameras only exhibit good macro capabilities at the wide end. You don't really want this. Shooting with a camera with the lens set to 24mm so that you can get 2mm from your subject for "extreme macro" results in extreme perspectives with elongated lines and a sort of "fisheye" effect that will typically distort your images. To remedy this, you can get a number of adapters, the best of which are made by Lensmate (no affiliation, just an opinion). These will allow you to attach macro filters to your camera to give you really decent macro results at most focal lengths.

Depth of field (bokeh, blurry background, etc.) is affected by a few factors: Focal Length, Aperture, Film/Sensor Size and Distance from Lens to Subject. If you have a focal length of 85mm, 1" from your subject at f/4, the background will blur nicely and give you really pleasing results because the slightly smaller Aperture (as opposed to say, f/2) will give you a slightly wider plane of focus while still allowing your background to blur out nicely (rendering slight details). Lensmate makes these adapters for the RX100, Canon PowerShot G-Series and Canon PowerShot S-Series, among others. My go-to pocket camera at the moment is a Canon S100. If I didn't need it to fit in a pocket, I'd go with something like the Canon G15 as it allows a little better ergonomics, larger apertures throughout the zoom range and a hot shoe. It's amazing how much good just a little bit of bounce flash will do you when shooting macro. You can let the flash bounce off the ceiling above you and it will flood the room with light, giving you very soft shadows, and bright, even lighting across your subject (as opposed to the yellow-orange hue resulting from shooting under incandescent lighting (ie, your desk lamp). Either way, you can get into a good point and shoot camera with the Lensmate adapters for a pretty fair price and it won't be a daunting task to learn to use it. That's probably the easiest solution.

But... And this is a BIG "but"... If it were me, I'd try and find a good deal on a lightly used DSLR (Canon Rebel, Nikon D-Series) or mirror-less camera (Sony NEX, Olympus Pen, Panasonic GF-Series). An interchangeable lens camera will open up a whole world of opportunities for you. Your image quality will be significantly better with less noise, higher resolution and cleaner files. You will achieve cleaner bokeh and you will find it is easier to blur out your background at the same focal lengths because of the larger sensor. The Sony RX100 has one of the largest sensors in the point-and-shoot world, so it's probably going to rival a lot of the Olympus and Panasonic cameras and will come close to the NEX, Rebel and Nikon D-Series. But aside from that, you're working with fairly small sensors in point-and-shoots, thus the benefits of an interchangeable lens camera. A lot of companies make a series of extension tubes (Kenko is the brand I use) that allow you to move the lens further from the camera body, thus achieving closer focus. When I shoot weddings, I use a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens with a 12mm Extension Tube and I can shoot the rings and other small details with ease. You can add the Extension Tubes to any zoom or prime lens to achieve similar results.

My go-to kit for shooting pens would be a Canon Rebel or Nikon D-Series with the kit lens (18-55 or 18-135, whichever they come with now) and a set of extension tubes (or at least a 12mm extension tube, which is my most-used tube). Get a decent flash with bounce/swivel capabilities and you're set. Or, you can get an inexpensive LED macro ring light that will go around your lens and provide constant, even lighting. In fact, this might actually be a better option. Cut the bounce flash and get a constant LED light source that will go around your lens.

The price of the RX100 is about $600, plus another $75 for the macro kit from Lensmate. That's $700 after shipping and fees. Right now, B&H out of New York has the Canon Rebel T3 with 18-55 Lens on sale for $429 with a 16GB SD Card. The Canon Extension tube (12mm) is $84 and you can get a decent LED ring light for around $72. That's only $585 or about $615 with shipping and fees. You're at the price of an RX100 for a whole DSLR kit. A small, pocket camera with a large sensor comes at a price. If you don't NEED to put the camera in your pocket, you'll get better value for your dollar and more versatility out of a small DSLR. If you bought the same camera used, you'd probably save $100 or so and you could use that money to pick up a Canon 50mm f/1.8 or 40mm f/2.8 Pancake lens (perfect for travel).

Hope this helps you out. PM or email me if you need anything else or if you have questions. I'm a camera NUT and love to talk about this stuff.

Best,

Matthew

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

I have Canon DSLR equipment, it's hard to beat a good macro lens for close up detail. I agree with Matthew's suggestion, a Rebel kit from B&H, with an extension tube, or the Canon 250D close up lens will give you good pictures. You can always get a macro lens later. I have been dealing with B&H for close to twenty years, they are good people.

I have a Canon G9 point and shoot that I use for close work on a regular basis. I use it in aperture priority mode, stopped down to f8, camera mounted on a tripod, and get excellent results. Any of the new G series cameras should do just as well.

Larry

Matthew:

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to respond. I'll post here, just in case someone else is interested. I have to keep in mind the difference between the real me, and the fantasy me that would learn how to use a camera. I think that the reality is that for me to have a SLR would be like getting a Ferrari to take my kids to school. For the most part, I use a camera for 3 things. 1) On vacation, when I want something small enough to put in a pocket. My little DMC-TZC is great for this. I have a nice leather case that will go on a belt loop. 2) Taking pics of some event with my kids. My camera is fine if outdoors, but indoors with low light, it sucks. A pre-Prom party with parents, from 15 feet in a dim living room, lousy results, but there were plenty of moms with Rebels that posted their nice shots. 3) Pics of pens to sell on Ebay or here. Again, my camera is weak. I am currently selling a Wahl on Ebay and you can see my macro results. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121081262692?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I haven't printed more than a few shots in several years. We end up just looking at them on a computer.

When I am on vacation, whether in a city, or on a mountain, or in a boat -- I don't want to feel like I am lugging a camera around. I want something small enough to stick in a pocket, or on a belt loop, and forget about. I do not want to have to carry a bag just for a camera.

So given the reality of how I use a camera, I think I am best off with a point & shoot. But I want to find one that can do better with macro shots of pens, and better with pics of people indoors.

Keith

I have a fuji x10 which has an awesome macro and even super macro feature. It is simple enough to use for someone who does not know much about cameras, but it also has more complex features that can be learned as you learn more about cameras. It isn't exactly cheap (about $500 bucks) but it is an AMAZING camera. It takes pictures as well, if not better than many $1000+ cameras. Also it looks really cool and retro, sort of like a Leica. They also recently came out with the x20 (I am not sure what is different about it though).

x10:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X10-Digital-Camera-f2-0-f2-8/dp/B005KBB79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363465453&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+x10

x20:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X20-Silver-Digital-Camera/dp/B00AV3XH9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363465615&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+x20

the big brother:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X100-Digital-Fujinon-2-8-Inch/dp/B0043RS864/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363465685&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+x100

Pelikan M800 - Green, M (want to trade for a F!)

TWSBI 540 - Amber, M

Bexley Corona - Orange, M

Parker Duofold Centennial - Black, M

Esterbrook LJ - Black, Gregg 1555 (EEF)

Parker 21 - Navy Blue, M

Sailor 1911 Large - Black, M

TWSBI 580 - Clear, M

Aurora 88 Large - Black w/ silver trim, Stub

Parker 51 - Burgundy, M

Gate City Pens New Dunn - Black, Stub

Conklin Endura - Green, M Italic

I really like the retro look of the Fuji. I took a trip to a local shop today and looked at the Sony RX-100 & Canon S110. I was amazed at how small they are. Both had macro focusing ability that was much better than what I have. Is the Fuji small enough to stick in your pocket? Have to be a pretty big pocket?

Well.... when it comes to picture taking I believe that "less is more". The basics needed are 1) macro capability 2) fast lens, for low / ambient light and 3) good lens optics. The Panasonic DMC LX series has all three. Macro switch on lense, 2.0 fast lens, 3) made by Leica with very good optics. I have three LX3 and I think they may be up to LX7 now. You can do everything point and shoot or over ride to do everything manually. Downside is it is pretty wide angle with not much zoom. Great for interiors, etc. Look up some reviews and check out used prices

Here's a picture of a "Wirt" I got a some time ago (greatly reduced in size for the forum). I wasn't trying for museum quality but doesn't the lint show up nicely?

http://i49.tinypic.com/ajp.jpg

here's another hand held snapshot/macro

http://i49.tinypic.com/2psk4qw.jpg

Edited by brewerjeff

It's never too late to learn something new! However, this presumes your desire is strong enough to justify the effort of doing so.

Edited by raging.dragon

Thanks for the help. I've decided to get either the Canon S110 (on sale at BestBuy for $328), or the Sony RX100 (lowest price I can find is $600). I have an Ebay auction going on with a Wahl 1920's gold-fill. I decided to sell it immediately after seeing a guy sell the identical pen/nib for $600. Don't know if it's because he had an embedded video in which he did some Spencerian writing and people figured that they could do it ,too if they just had a flexy nib. Or if the somewhat ambiguous listing got some people thinking that the pen was gold, rather than gold-filled. I figured that maybe some of the losing bidders would do a quick search for another one and find me. If I can come close to swapping the pen for a $600 camera, I'll go that way. But I am assuming that my (bleep) handwriting sample won't command the bucks that his video did and I'll end up with the Canon. I played with both and the macro on each is much better than my Panasonic. The big macro plus of the Sony is that the pixel count is so high, you could take a wide shot, crop it way down, and still have a good pic. And either way, if I want better Macro, the Lensmate adapter sounds like a good and inexpensive option.

I really like the retro look of the Fuji. I took a trip to a local shop today and looked at the Sony RX-100 & Canon S110. I was amazed at how small they are. Both had macro focusing ability that was much better than what I have. Is the Fuji small enough to stick in your pocket? Have to be a pretty big pocket?

the x10 and the x20 aren't big per say, but probably too big to fit in your pant's pocket

Pelikan M800 - Green, M (want to trade for a F!)

TWSBI 540 - Amber, M

Bexley Corona - Orange, M

Parker Duofold Centennial - Black, M

Esterbrook LJ - Black, Gregg 1555 (EEF)

Parker 21 - Navy Blue, M

Sailor 1911 Large - Black, M

TWSBI 580 - Clear, M

Aurora 88 Large - Black w/ silver trim, Stub

Parker 51 - Burgundy, M

Gate City Pens New Dunn - Black, Stub

Conklin Endura - Green, M Italic

• 2 years later...

Reply to KSH; HOT OFF THE PRESSES.I too have difficulty with macro which my camera store in Adelaide Arcade solved for me the other day it is called the

OLYMPUS TOUGH TG4 which has what is known as a screw on Ring Flash which screws on to the front of the lens and I cant describe how fabulous the results are so please go to your nearest Camera Dealer and get him to demonstrate how close is CLOSE or MACRO priced around $440.00 AUST. Trust me oneill