Montblanc Albert Einstein

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below. As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/27ddb717.jpg

As Photo*ucket unwisely eliminated the functionality to depict thumbnails as required, there is a need to conserve bandwidth, so Hi-Res scans will be provided on request only.

· · · — — — · · ·

Fidelity

As this ink is not depicted on the Montblanc site, it cannot be determined if the ink I used is as it should be. (Hello online shoppers!)

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK074_zpsf6fa8f3e.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK073_zps5804916e.jpg

L → R: M200, PPP, C74.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L → R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo, Royal, Staples.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK078_zps9e14c084.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK079_zps64e07f50.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK080_zpsc1288a9f.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK081_zps4e81cf77.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Clairefontaine Triomphe.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK082_zpsfc42e8d3.jpg

Figure 9.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK083_zpsfcf8b5dc.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK075_zpsd24df5d6.jpg

Figure 11,

Bleed- Show-Through on Staples.

(Obverse of Figure 9.)

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Albert%20Einstein/INK084_zpsdded800a.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle, 30ml.
  • Neither bottles nor boxes bear serial numbers.

Availability:

• Limited production.
  • Available when Topic posted, but the duration of availability from authorised Vendors is unknown.

Daily writer?

• Unlikely3

A go-to ink?

• When a very neutral Grey ink is desired.

USE

• While I greatly appreciate subtlety in an ink, MBAE is below my sensitivity threshold. Even after spending considerable time with the Written Samples blu-tacked to walls for impromptu viewing, I was left blank. It may well be the case that I lack the vocabulary to describe such an ink.
  • MBAE seems to be bereft of remarkable or profoundly unique properties, so it seems it would be used by someone else for something that has yet to cross my mind.
  • As such, I leave 'Use' to those Members with greater sensitivity, broader vocabulary or a more vivid imagination. Hopefully I will learn something along the way.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Middling.

Nib Dry-Out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• Very good.
  • Has an odd 'waxy' feel.

Nib Creepers:

• Not seen.

Staining [pen]:

• Not seen.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• HPJ1124: C74.
  • Staples: All. See Figure 11.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen.

Smell:

• So faint as to be indeterminate.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not apparent.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Prompt.
  • For recently inked-up pens, the use of an pen cleaning solution with ammonia & surfactant did not release any visible residue after the usual regimen of water flush, short soak, flush.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibition.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• A cipher.
  • Weak in the knees.

Saturation:

• Rather low.

Shading Potential:

• High.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • About as expected.

[*]Papers used:

• A bit greater than expected.
    • As the sample of the C74 on G Lalo was abandoned, there is some indication that the ink is not readily absorbed by such papers from wide wet nibs.

Malleability:

• Responsive.
  • The wily practitioner would select their writer first, then chose the paper to achieve the desired level of saturation/value and shading.
  • As with other low saturation inks, when the line is not fully inked the base-tint of the paper is added to the perceived colour of the ink. I thought the warming effect of the G Lalo Natural White gave a quite awkward result.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Cool Whites.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Warm / Natural / Dirty Whites.
  • Papers that have a hard ink-repellent surface.

Tinted Papers:

• Doubtful for all but the most pastel tints; and if I were pressed, a Powder Blue or even a Lilac might be called upon do something, anything really.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• No.

ETC.

Majik:

• Never happen.

Billets doux?

• Most certainly not from yours truly.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

Yickity Yackity:

• What should've been an inspired tribute to Albert Einstein seems more of a booby prize.
  • I hoped to launch a suite of Grey Ink Reviews with a jaunty air, but it seems otherwise: another MB ink is sent off to the limbo of the Mixing Corral. :(
  • Ah kushbaby, how could this have come to pass?

= ==== =

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens:

Written Samples:

A. Pelikan M200 + g-p steel EF nib.

B. Platinum President Purist + 22K B nib.

C. Pilot Custom 74 + three-tine № 5 14K MS nib.

Lines & labels:

◊ Omas Turquoise from a Pilot Penmanship + XF.

◊ 50mm scale lines: HB pencil.

Papers:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Clairefontaine Triomphe: brushed vellum, 90 gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.

Imaging:

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figure 2 was scanned at 300 dpi, other Figures at 200 dpi.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet, IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Densitometer Readings on HPJ1124:

• Red 166
  • Grn 159
  • Blu 157
  • Lum 160

Other Inks

◊This Review uses the same Written Sample format and atrocious handwriting common to most of my previous Reviews of Blue-Black inks. The M200 was used extensively in my Reviews of Blue inks; the PPP for Blue-Black inks, and the C74 for Red-centric & the Pilot iroshizuku inks.

◊ There are a small number of Grey inks in my array, so as I review those inks, there should be the opportunity to compare those inks through manipulation of your browser windows/panes.

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Post depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always YMMV, due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, etc.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy, which may be precious little in the case of MBAE.

-30-

Tags: Fountain pen ink review Sandy1 Montblanc Albert Einstein Grey Gray 2012 Limited Edition Limited Production

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• seffrican

• Bo Bo Olson

• Pterodactylus

Distinctly meh, it seems: it's certainly no Kiri-same.

Still, an excellent (as always) review. And I for one would love to see a suite of grey ink reviews, this being my current mania.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Excellent review as usual. I felt the same way about this ink. However, there was something about it that made me keep coming back to play. I can't put my finger on it . It's strange, I use the ink, get frustrated by its lack of any kind of personality then I look at a page i wrote and I go back to it. Not sure if I am trying to coax something out of it or if there is some hidden goodie in it. I ran out and am now waiting for another bottle. Anyway thanks for another great review Sandy

Distinctly meh, it seems: it's certainly no Kiri-same.

Still, an excellent (as always) review. And I for one would love to see a suite of grey ink reviews, this being my current mania.

Hi,

I certainly agree that MBAE is not similar to Pilot iroshizuku kiri-same. :(

Hopefully during the course of the suite of Reviews the differences amongst a small number of Grey inks will become apparent.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

I certainly agree that MBAE is not similar to Pilot iroshizuku kiri-same. :(

Hopefully during the course of the suite of Reviews the differences amongst a small number of Grey inks will become apparent.

Bye,

S1

I am actually quite surprised at the differences in the grey inks I've tried so far. Fuyu-syogun is lovely, it really captures a winter sky. Kiri-same is an incredible ink, I was shocked: almost visible hairs of reddishness in a wet writer. I still have Omas and Lexington Grey to try, all thanks to a most generous fellow FPN member.

I never imagined grey inks could be so fascinating. I shall be, as always, waiting for your enlightening reviews!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Excellent review as usual. I felt the same way about this ink. However, there was something about it that made me keep coming back to play. I can't put my finger on it . It's strange, I use the ink, get frustrated by its lack of any kind of personality then I look at a page i wrote and I go back to it. Not sure if I am trying to coax something out of it or if there is some hidden goodie in it. I ran out and am now waiting for another bottle. Anyway thanks for another great review Sandy

Hi,

You're welcome!

Many thanks for your kind words. :)

I appreciate your tenacity to keep exploring this ink. Recalling my experience with Pilot tsuki-yo, I learned that it can take quite some time & effort to see what an ink's about.

As mentioned, perhaps I have yet to develop the appropriate sensitivity & vocabulary to appreciate this ink. I stated my opinion a bit more strongly than usual: in part so it would not be construed as fact, and to evoke a response from those who really enjoy this ink. (The Written Samples are the 'facts'.)

I am very interested in learning from your experience with this ink, and hope that you will continue to share them here or in your own Ink Review. If there are any pen+paper combos that you favour, please let us know - I am not shy to add Written Samples as things progress, and perhaps MBAE is a work in progress.

Bye,

S1

Nice touch, considering the day :) Might I say: "smart choice"?

Hi,

Just giving serendipity a helping hand . . .

Bye,

S1

Can anyone say how it compares with (unlimited) Oyster Grey?

It is a bit darker than Oyster Grey. When wet, it also seems to have a purplish hue that mostly disappears upon drying. I find it more suitable than Oyster Grey for fine nibs.

I find it "sort of interesrting". That said, in the sense that it was apparently not designed to be a "real" black but rather a sort of modulation thereof -- like a charcoal or maybe even a black night -- I still don't know where to place this ink.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I find it "sort of interesrting". That said, in the sense that it was apparently not designed to be a "real" black but rather a sort of modulation thereof -- like a charcoal or maybe even a black night -- I still don't know where to place this ink.

Mike

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your impression of this ink. :thumbup:

Perhaps I'll put the samples on the wall again in hopes of an epiphany that will elevate MBAE from where I've placed it - in the Mixing Corral. Or more likely I'll follow the lead of Member Sblakers by trying various pen+paper combos in hope that I'll get lucky and find the handle. OCD [mis]adventures fueled by caffeine await . . .

Bye,

S1

Or more likely I'll follow the lead of Member Sblakers by trying various pen+paper combos in hope that I'll get lucky and find the handle. [/font]OCD [mis]adventures fueled by caffeine await . . .

You might want to try it with a fairly broad italic nib (1.4mm or more) - it looks really nice, and there the darker shade makes a world of difference compared to Oyster Grey. (Italic nibs might not be a good match for your handwriting style, though).

Thanks for posting this review. I have thought about picking up a bottle of this ink, but now I think I'll pass. I already have bottles of Kiri-same, Fuyu-syogun, Oyster Grey, and Lexington Gray, all of which look more interesting than the Einstein ink.

According to your review MBEG shades well. Much better than I expected.

I'm noobie with gray.

DA Sahara gray, is a grayed green. DA Cement Gray, looks like the flight line cement just before dawn lightens the horizon after a rain. (In case you want to add that to your gray survey.)

The two grays I like, are discontinued Pelikan Gray and Silver Gray in old @ 1990 cartridges (4 of each cartridges left) :crybaby: . That's all I have in gray.

None shade as well as Einstein.

Don't mix it until you've done your gray survey, you might change your mind. It took me quite a while to develop a liking for black-blue. :rolleyes:

It seems that the C 74 did the best job. It was also the one that had spots of show through.

You did give the ink all the chances in the world even bringing out the Clairefontaine Triomphe.

The problem with this ink is the need to pull the trigger quickly, due to it being limited.

A. Pelikan M200 + g-p steel EF nib. That you got any shading at all from an EF nib was to me sort of astounding.

B. Platinum President Purist + 22K B nib. This is the equivalent of a European M? It showed the least considering the what the EF nib showed.

C. Pilot Custom 74 + three-tine № 5 14K MS nib. This must be one of your wetter nibs. Is this a 'Euro' B width?

This one gave some life to this ink.

It could be this ink is a one width B only ink?

Perhaps something for a wetter nib, a semi-flex M or B.

The question remains is it worth getting a nib limited ink?

The worst is the spotty bleed through with a wetter nib on good paper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Or more likely I'll follow the lead of Member Sblakers by trying various pen+paper combos in hope that I'll get lucky and find the handle. OCD [mis]adventures fueled by caffeine await . . .

You might want to try it with a fairly broad italic nib (1.4mm or more) - it looks really nice, and there the darker shade makes a world of difference compared to Oyster Grey. (Italic nibs might not be a good match for your handwriting style, though).

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion to try a 'fairly broad italic nib'. :thumbup:

You have astutely observed that such nibs may not suit my hand: I have yet to pass my operators exam for nibs over 1.0mm. Though I will take the Lamy 1.5 out for a spin - just as part of my training exercises.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Instead of Lamy, you may want to have a look at the very inexpensive Online fountain pens (Campus and College series) with italic nibs. They are half the price of Lamy, and while the pens themselves are nothing to write home about, I find their italic nibs much easier to write with than Lamy's, with better line variation. See http://www.theonlinepencompany.com/pencompany/Online.php (no affiliation).

Edited by Axial

Can anyone say how it compares with (unlimited) Oyster Grey?

It is a bit darker than Oyster Grey. When wet, it also seems to have a purplish hue that mostly disappears upon drying. I find it more suitable than Oyster Grey for fine nibs.

You are right about the hue, it shows as a strong purple in the bottle, and even stronger in my M200 demonstrator. It's almost surprising to see no purple on the page.

Since no one else likes this ink, please send me your bottles for safe and hygienic disposal. I really, really, really like it. And what I like about it is how it changes in different lights. In bright sunlight it looks the palest sort of grey, just a wisp of thought seen from the edge of the eye on the page. So you would think that in low light it would vanish, but in lower light it increases in contrast so that it begins to appear as a much blacker ink, reaching a visual tone similar to that of Waterman black when one uses it in the dark back corner of the café.

But I guess I'm the only one, so as I said, send all the unwanted bottles to me ASAP.

[size="4"]"[i][b][color="#000000"]Qui plume a, guerre a.[/color][/b][/i]" - Voltaire[/size]

Thanks for your review. I was curious about this one, but you have more or less confirmed that grey inks do not speak to me at all. I find it only slightly appealing in the samples written with the Custom 74.

BTW, why would a broad italic nib not suit your hand while you write with a three tine music nib?

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks for posting this review. I have thought about picking up a bottle of this ink, but now I think I'll pass. I already have bottles of Kiri-same, Fuyu-syogun, Oyster Grey, and Lexington Gray, all of which look more interesting than the Einstein ink.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I very much share your opinion that there are other more interesting Grey inks on the market. MBAE just seems so neutral.

Perhaps my relative lack of appreciation is due to the fact that I don't use Black FP inks. (?)

Bye,

S1