Faber-Castell Ambition Pearwood Fountain

lintonwang

It seems that from time to time Faber-Castell has been known for its colour and pencils, while its fountains are not always as popular. Comparing with GV Faber-Castell pens, the Ambition series of Faber-Castell has the similar classy and luxurious touch, but a much lower price. The pen reviewed caught my eye with its pear wood body and neat design.

http://i.imgur.com/tv0d2uel.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Icoq3KLl.jpg

• Appearance & Design (9) - Wood, metal and clear cut
  • Especially attractive is the pear wood barrel. The colour is uniformly distributed, warm but not vibrant. The perfect-cylinder shape of the ambition series brings a modern impression to the pen, while the pear wood gives it a classy sense.
  • http://i.imgur.com/LBeu3aYl.jpg
  • http://i.imgur.com/9ELFRvBl.jpg

• Construction & Quality (9) - All good
    The wood has a smooth surface, no dents or flaws, perfectly fitted with the metal parts. Plating is shinny and smooth.
  • http://i.imgur.com/2QNltUxl.jpg
  • http://i.imgur.com/JFY2wKWl.jpg

• Weight & Dimensions (8) - A heavy cap
    The overall weight of the pen is just enough, not too heavy or light. The cap is relatively heavy. So if the cap is kept on the tail of the pen, the pen feels a bit unbalanced.
  • Nib & Performance (8) - F nib. Smooth. Out sourced.
    Smooth. Writes will. Not much flex. Nothing too special with the performance. Nib produced by Bock. The F is thinner than that of Lamy.
  • http://i.imgur.com/Tj928dDl.jpg
  • http://i.imgur.com/Dwpv0CFl.jpg
  • Filling System & Maintenance (8) - Converter
    A Faber-Castell converter is included. Just that it is very hard to unscrew the barrel. Not sure if all Ambition pens are like this. I guess the wood may be vulnerable to sweat or drastic temperature change. Yet I have not come across such problems, because I have not had it for long. Please share your experience if u have the same model~~
  • Cost & Value (8) - An economic option among wooden barrels
    Good wooden pens are normally very pricy, while this one is around 100 bucks or less. With Faber-Castell's reputation, this pen is perhaps a good deal.

• Conclusion (8.3/10)
  • A very good choice for wooden-barrel fans. I personally love wooden barrels. So I'm quite happy with this Ambition pen.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lintonwang

• Audit This

• fattail95

• fuchsiaprincess

Faber Castell is one of the last makers to offer a full range of pens as well as a website where you can buy spare parts and nibs online.

i love it...i've tought to buy it at a time but you know,there is always an other pen that come to say "buy me" :rolleyes:

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Faber Castell is one of the last makers to offer a full range of pens as well as a website where you can buy spare parts and nibs online.

Their online price is actually pretty good.

Very modern and minimalistic. If I were to put it on a desk stand, it would have to be something that's minimal in design too. It reminds me of the Albini Desk by Knoll.

Although it looks pretty fragile, to be honest.

[url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/17916-montblanc-meisterstuck-solitaire-new-in-box/"]Got myself a Montblanc pen, new in box, for sale.[/url]
This signature has been formatted to fit your scr

I've just ordered this pen, absolutely cant wait to receive it - looks stunning. :D

nice choice u made. it does look very good.

Very modern and minimalistic. If I were to put it on a desk stand, it would have to be something that's minimal in design too. It reminds me of the Albini Desk by Knoll.

fragile I do not thk so. But perhaps the wood may be quite vulnerable to sweat and other factor.

fragile I do not thk so. But perhaps the wood may be quite vulnerable to sweat and other factor.

Agreed, while I've never owned the Faber Castelle models ( vs the GvFC), I would expect they are of a comparable build quality and are very durable.

Agreed, while I've never owned the Faber Castelle models ( vs the GvFC), I would expect they are of a comparable build quality and are very durable.

Just received this pen today, and by god is it lovely to write with! The nib is so smooth and the whole pen is made so nicely. Definitely a HUGE thumbs up from me.

Just received this pen today, and by god is it lovely to write with! The nib is so smooth and the whole pen is made so nicely. Definitely a HUGE thumbs up from me.

Glad you like it! I will try to get my hands on some GvFC pens someday~

I like the one I have, but the shops I go to only stock them in medium.

I have run into this as well with FCs. I agree with those who think they write wetter and larger.

A question for those who own this (or a similar) pen - how does the lack of a section feel? I have been hesitant to purchase this pen, as I hold my pens slightly above the nib, exactly where the step is on this pen…..

Thank you@

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

as I hold my pens slightly above the nib, exactly where the step is on this pen

no problem there, fuchsiaprincess. never mind. i take that back, it might not work for you. the section is so small, one writes with the fingers on the body.

for me, the only drawback is when you have to unscrew the section, ink may get on your fingers, the darn thing being so small. than again, FP people always have ink on their fingers... and the fact that it is top heavy with the cap posted in the back. don't get me wrong, i like the pen and would recommend it.

thanx for the review, lintonwang!

PS. i have the black barrel one -which is actually made of plastic.

(this post has been edited way too many times in the last 10 min. i'll leave it alone now)

Edited by lovemy51

A question for those who own this (or a similar) pen - how does the lack of a section feel? I have been hesitant to purchase this pen, as I hold my pens slightly above the nib, exactly where the step is on this pen…..

Thank you@

Holding on the wood is quite comfortable.

But the section between the wood and the nib is truly very short. That area may be uncomfortable to hold.

And, as the screw of the barrel is strangely tight, whenever i try to unscrew it, I somehow unscrew the nib, because when ur fingers hond onto that short section, you are also holding onto the place where the nib is screwed onto the deliverer. This reli is a bit annoying. And yes the cap makes the weight unbalanced when put at the end of the barrel.

Otherwise i dont c any problems.

Edited by lintonwang

Thanks guys! That's a pity, as I rather like the look and feel of the wood barrell. Glad I didn't fork out all that money.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Thanks guys! That's a pity, as I rather like the look and feel of the wood barrell. Glad I didn't fork out all that money.

I wouldn't say no just yet. Although there is no "dedicated" grip area, the pen is quite thin so holding onto the wooden barrel is not a problem, at all, it's very comfortable indeed. The nib is smooth as silk and I dont have the problem others do when unscrewing the barrel. Personally, the only fault I could potentially find with the pen is that when the lid is attached to the top when writing, it becomes unbalanced. Now that is not an issue for me as I prefer writing whilst holding the lid. The pearwood edition is just beautiful, and the wood has excellent texture which is a pleasure to feel as you are writing. I would certainly recommend it.

Well, ya'll know I'm a huge TWSBI fan.....

Let me tell you that I love this pen. It is beautiful to look out - delightful to hold - the pen is elegant and writes with a bold line for a medium. It does not feel fragile and I've used mine for two years. It's a nice enough pen to be an EDC but I don't carry it. Also it's great about not drying out too quickly.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY