Best Leather Notebook Cover?

K. Cakes

I'm looking for a nice cover for small sized notebooks. The typical ~3.5"-5.5" ones. I usually keep a couple of hardcover pocket notebooks on me but they're heavy and take up a lot of room in my purse. I think having an arrangement where I could keep a couple smaller notebooks in one system would work well for me, but there are a few options to choose from.

I've read through dozens of reviews and so far Midori and Pelle seem to be getting about equal reviews. The only difference is that Pelle takes some unusual sizes so I take it I would have to buy their refills?

Besides these two does anyone have other brands or custom makers that create similar products I should take a look at? I looked at Davis Leatherworks but they don't seem to be a good option for me.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• K. Cakes

• WC Lee

• jameswatts

Top Posters In This Topic

the usual disclaimer, not affiliated with Davis Leatherworks, just a happy owner of 2 of their leather covers.

I would recommend reconsidering Davis Leatherworks, their covers will fit any 3.5 x 5.5 inch pocket notebook, such as Field Notes, Clairefontaine side staple-bound, Moleskine Cashier, etc., whereas both Midori and Pelle uses different sizes thus requires getting the refills from them, trim preferred notebooks to size or make your own. It also uses the same basic method of securing the notebook in place.

The small size Pelle and the Passport size Midori both uses refills approximately 3.5 x 5 inches.

The medium size Pelle uses a 4.3 x 6.8 inch refill (not sure if Midori has a medium size one or not)

The large size Pelle and the large size Midori both uses refills approximately 4.3 x 8.25 inch.

The Davis Leatherworks leather covers will only fit 3.5 x 5.5 but I believe they will make custom sizes on request (don't quote me on that). Even though the Davis Leather leather cover is basically made to hold one notebook, it can utilize the method that Midori uses to hold additional notebooks through the use of elastic bands. The only thing that it does not have that Midori and Pelle has is one or more page markers but that can be easily added.

Anyone, if I am incorrect with any of the measurements, please correct me :)

Edited by WC Lee

the usual disclaimer, not affiliated with Davis Leatherworks, just a happy owner of 2 of their leather covers.

I would recommend reconsidering Davis Leatherworks, their covers will fit any 3.5 x 5.5 inch pocket notebook, such as Field Notes, Clairefontaine side staple-bound, Moleskine Cashier, etc., whereas both Midori and Pelle uses different sizes thus requires getting the refills from them, trim preferred notebooks to size or make your own. It also uses the same basic method of securing the notebook in place.

The small size Pelle and the Passport size Midori both uses refills approximately 3.5 x 5 inches.

The medium size Pelle uses a 4.3 x 6.8 inch refill (not sure if Midori has a medium size one or not)

The large size Pelle and the large size Midori both uses refills approximately 4.3 x 8.25 inch.

The Davis Leatherworks leather covers will only fit 3.5 x 5.5 but I believe they will make custom sizes on request (don't quote me on that). Even though the Davis Leather leather cover is basically made to hold one notebook, it can utilize the method that Midori uses to hold additional notebooks through the use of elastic bands. The only thing that it does not have that Midori and Pelle has is one or more page markers but that can be easily added.

Anyone, if I am incorrect with any of the measurements, please correct me :)

Thanks for the detailed response. I believe the Midori and Pelle will fit the Banditapple PeeWee notebooks, which are a bit shorter than both. I don't really mind buying brand notebooks either, as long as the paper is FP friendly.

I'm really liking the colors offered by this seller on Etsy. I'd love to know if anyone has experience with them.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

The Banditapple PeeWee notebooks are 3.5 x 5.5 inches, the large one however would fit both the Pelle and Midori at 4.3 x 8.25 inches.

Edited by WC Lee

The Banditapple PeeWee notebooks are 3.5 x 5.5 inches, the large one however would fit both the Pelle and Midori at 4.3 x 8.25 inches.

According to the Goulets, the Midori Passport size is 5.3" x 4.1" and Jetpens puts the Pelle medium size at 6.8"x 4.3" So I could fit a Banditapple in the Pelle at least, though it would be a loose fit. Maybe I'll just pick up some paper from both companies and decide which I like better. It seems like you can't really go wrong with either option.

The small Pelle notebook cover that I have measures 3.5" x 5" -- making it too small for most small notebooks, such as Field Notes and Clairefontaine. The only refills I've found that fit it are the proprietary ones (which are quite expensive) and a refill made by jetpens (which is not expensive, but had a slightly unusual grid design on its pages).

On the other hand, the Davisworks cover I have easily fits any 3.5" x 5.5" inch notebook.

no affiliation with any of the companies listed above.

The small Pelle notebook cover that I have measures 3.5" x 5" -- making it too small for most small notebooks, such as Field Notes and Clairefontaine. The only refills I've found that fit it are the proprietary ones (which are quite expensive) and a refill made by jetpens (which is not expensive, but had a slightly unusual grid design on its pages).

On the other hand, the Davisworks cover I have easily fits any 3.5" x 5.5" inch notebook.

no affiliation with any of the companies listed above.

Thank you! I would be looking at the Pelle medium sized not the small one. One of the problems with Davis Leatherworks is that they're designed to only fit one notebook. I read a review where they managed to fit two, but it was quite a tight fit.