The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Interesting Stub Or Italic Fp

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ambien

Ambien

Consulting Detective

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:26

Hello,

Lately, I've been interested in stub and italic nibs for FP. My knowledge of FP is somewhat limited, so I'm looking for any suggestions I may have overlooked. Thanks.

Tried:
Pilot 78g
Lamy Italic 1.1
Pelikan .4 stub nib (customized via Richard Binder)
Sheaffer Calligraphy set
Osmiroid Italic set
Pilot Plumix

Budget:
Under $100

No brand preference. I don't mind if it's vintage or modern either.

Edited by Csrae, 07 March 2013 - 05:45.

Tempus edax rerum

Sponsored Content

#2 djpyle

djpyle

Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:38

You can get a 1.1 or 1.5 mm stub on the TWSBI Vac 700 or Mini (or the 580 once it's available). They're all great pens and under $100. You could also watch Greg Minuskin's site. He often has vintage pens with awesome stub nibs, frequently for under $100. He does fantastic work. http://gregminuskin.com

#3 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:52

Hi,

If you've tried those pens and nibs, that should give you something to go on for your next pick.

Kindly consider moving to a hand-ground nib that will have more character than a factory stock nib.
(
After years of so-so factory stock nibs, the over-the-counter g-p steel Pelikan M200 1.0mm Stub from richardspens was a revelation. *wiggle toes* )

Within your cost constraint you'll likely be limited to over-the-counter nibs, rather than a custom nib+feed tuned to your specs, but I reckon it'll be worth the effort to search for the right one.

Alternatively, you might consider having a nib on one of your current pens hand-ground, rather than paying for a
nib and a pen you might not like so much.
(Most Western M nibs can be ground to a respectable useful 0.6 - 0.7mm Cursive italic or Stub.)

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#4 drwright

drwright

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:23

I don't have one myself (yet) but I've only heard good things about the Italix Parson's Essential. Its stubs/italic nibs are supposed to be great writers (they're custom ground), and you can get the whole thing for about $65 shipped to the US. Stephen Brown has a great review on YouTube. Check it out! :)

#5 nm4

nm4

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:43

Which of the pens you've tried was the best and how were you hoping to improve? People seem to have different requirements for italics in terms of line width, smoothness, tolerance of hand rotation, etc. If you let us know what works for you we might be able to help you better.

Cheers,
NM
Cross ATX XF nib and Sheaffer 444X F nib for sale in the classifieds!

#6 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:30

Monteverde and Conklin have a nice stub. Some of them are under $100.

I pulled the nib off one of my Plumixes and put it on a Pilot Metropolitan. It's fast and easy and you my like the Metropolitan style more
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#7 Ambien

Ambien

Consulting Detective

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:44

You can get a 1.1 or 1.5 mm stub on the TWSBI Vac 700 or Mini (or the 580 once it's available). They're all great pens and under $100. You could also watch Greg Minuskin's site. He often has vintage pens with awesome stub nibs, frequently for under $100. He does fantastic work. http://gregminuskin.com

Thank you for the recommendations, I follow Minuskin's sale site, but he often sells out quickly. I've been waiting on the Economic TWSBI to try their FP too.

Hi,

If you've tried those pens and nibs, that should give you something to go on for your next pick.

Kindly consider moving to a hand-ground nib that will have more character than a factory stock nib.
(
After years of so-so factory stock nibs, the over-the-counter g-p steel Pelikan M200 1.0mm Stub from richardspens was a revelation. *wiggle toes* )

Within your cost constraint you'll likely be limited to over-the-counter nibs, rather than a custom nib+feed tuned to your specs, but I reckon it'll be worth the effort to search for the right one.

Alternatively, you might consider having a nib on one of your current pens hand-ground, rather than paying for a
nib and a pen you might not like so much.
(Most Western M nibs can be ground to a respectable useful 0.6 - 0.7mm Cursive italic or Stub.)

Bye,
S1

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add that the .4 stub was a custom order from Binder, I like it but there is a definite learning curve for custom nibs.

I don't have one myself (yet) but I've only heard good things about the Italix Parson's Essential. Its stubs/italic nibs are supposed to be great writers (they're custom ground), and you can get the whole thing for about $65 shipped to the US. Stephen Brown has a great review on YouTube. Check it out! :)

Yes, I've read reviews about the italix but I was wondering if it's too broad for general writing?

Which of the pens you've tried was the best and how were you hoping to improve? People seem to have different requirements for italics in terms of line width, smoothness, tolerance of hand rotation, etc. If you let us know what works for you we might be able to help you better.

Cheers,
NM

Out of all the FP, so far I liked the Osmiroid italic fine nib. It had nice variation and wrote relatively smoothly.

Monteverde and Conklin have a nice stub. Some of them are under $100.

I pulled the nib off one of my Plumixes and put it on a Pilot Metropolitan. It's fast and easy and you my like the Metropolitan style more

Thank you for the suggestions for Monteverde & Conklin. I'll add it to my list for further research on FP. I might switch the Plumix nib and add it to my Pilot Prera.

Tempus edax rerum

#8 amantadine

amantadine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:34

I have two of the Italix Parson Essentials - one medium cursive and one fine italic. I have used both at work on an everyday basis, but in my view the fine italic is slightly easier to use for everyday writing (whereas the medium produces a much more striking effect).

#9 koofle

koofle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:41

Ah, kawecosports can be outfitted with 1.1mm stub nibs. Actually, I got mine in their kalligraphie set which comes with 4 italic nibs from 1.1-2.3mm. I'm following this thread closely too, I'm into italic nibs as well.
I do weekly informal video reviews of pens/papers/inks in the style of my silly written reviews at the <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYpvSpwJuaT0OxsxhzM1e7w'>Inquisitive Quill youtube.</a><p>I am also very active on <a class='bbc_url' href=https://www.instagram.com/inquisitivequill/>instagram.</a>

#10 nm4

nm4

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:30

I'd recommend you check out Franklin Christoph. They have some great pens at reasonable prices and you can order italics and stubs ground by Mike Masuyama. Their customer service can't be beat.

Cheers,
NM
Cross ATX XF nib and Sheaffer 444X F nib for sale in the classifieds!

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2013 - 21:09

I had Pendleton Pens do customization. Wow is it fun! (This one isn't my nib, but I really like his work).

Posted Image

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#12 MKeith

MKeith

"A man's got to know his limitations"

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2013 - 22:51

Take the nib assembly out of Plumix and put it in a Pilot Metropolitan (they're both just put in by friction fit). Works great!
"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

#13 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:14

Interesting!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#14 kuroba

kuroba

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2013 - 18:38

Take the nib assembly out of Plumix and put it in a Pilot Metropolitan (they're both just put in by friction fit). Works great!

It's pretty easy to do this. I took the Pilot Plumix nib and put it in a Prera, it's been my favorite pen ever since! :)

#15 Flake

Flake

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2013 - 18:45

I had Pendleton Pens do customization. Wow is it fun! (This one isn't my nib, but I really like his work).

Posted Image

Pendelton did my TWSBI into a stub and I absolutely love it. :thumbup:

#16 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 18:50

I think a Pendletuned TWSBI will run you less than $100.

Posted Image

#17 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,492 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:48

Get a parker 45 off ebay - look for one with a broad 14k nib. If you are patient you can find one in good condition for around $25-35. Then send it off for modification to CI to Pendleton Brown (cost $40) making it $65-75 total cost. I've done that with more than one p45 and the result is consistently amazing, smooth, wet, with great line variation. I highly recommend this.

Sponsored Content

|