Camlin Sd Fountain Pen

madzaxmax

Just sent my payment for two tens.

The RavenLunatic

Semper insanit omnes tempore.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madzaxmax

• mhguda

• reval

• cjabbott

Just sent my payment for two tens.

Thank you. Already updated, and pens ordered!

Inglourious Basterds...

UPDATE:

Payment for the pens (only the pen, not shipping) has been received from:

cjabbot - for 2 pens

aramchek - for 3 pens

rockydoggy - for 2 pens

Osmaroid - for 2 pens

Bagel - for 2 pens plus an additional US$13 for S&H :notworthy1:

mguda - for 2 pens

rdh - for 1 pen

reval - for 1 pen

Ravenlunatic - for 2 pens

avoiceinthedistance - for 2 pens

Simius - for 1 pen

jchch1950 - for 1 pen

Edited by madzaxmax

Inglourious Basterds...

Hey Fellas,

Sorry to report this, but delivery has been delayed till Tuesday. :crybaby:

I'll keep you posted.

Inglourious Basterds...

Thanks for the heads up, Camlin doesn't know what hit them, right?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

:roflmho:

I actually have orders for about 4 more pens, but I don't want to rock the boat by amending the order. As it is, I have amended it a few times already.

Inglourious Basterds...

Hello Guys,

There's been a delay for one more day. Apparently, its official. Camlin does not know what hit them.

Inglourious Basterds...

Well... I finally got my hands on 12 pens. Pics below.

I was really misled by this junior sales rep at Camlin regarding availability. But after a lot of ranting over the last few days, I have decided to let it go. Since the pen has not been selling too well, the company has had very limited production runs of this model. Don't get me wrong, the pen is excellent. Its just that the price is too high by Indian market standards (long and complicated story... don't ask).

Mhguda: Please feel free to share my last email with the propositions. I am too depressed to look at it now.

I got 12 pens. 5 maroon, 5 blue and 2 black. 9 more are expected this Friday. I hope they are able to deliver by this weekend. I would really like to ship on Monday. The good news is, since there were 12 participant, everyone gets at least one.

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/3006/20130320200156gx.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/9919/20130320200211.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/2363/20130320200246.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/9646/20130320200614.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/1034/20130320200839.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/5876/20130320200954.jpg

All pens are sealed in cling wrap. I gently opened one only to take pictures and resealed it again.

Next update this weekend. Cheers guys!

I also got these for the classifieds!

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/4882/20130320200142.jpg

Inglourious Basterds...

Very good news, and nice pictures, madzaxmax! And I spy not only Camlins, but Trinitys and 47s, am I right?

Here is a digest of the email madzaxmax sent me regarding what seemed like an impending debacle; (we were discussing why Camlin could not deliver 21 pens that when ordered they had said no problem) (I joked that maybe there was no Camlin factory?). I seems there has not really been a production run of the Camlin SD... Here are max' speculations.

Kokuyo (Japan) bought about 51% of Camlin for almost 75 million USD less than 2 years ago. Camlin has several factories and it has all but captured the Indian market in school supplies and art supplies. Its just that no Indian company is really focussing on fountain pens any more.

The SD pen retails for INR 1000 and is 5 times more expensive than the next cheaper pen (Elegante). Some propositions:

Set A:1. Indians don't spend much on luxury (except gold); 2. A pen which costs 1000 rupees is perceived as a luxury.

Set B:1. Camlin is not a premium brand. Its products are aimed at schoolchildren. 2. There is a very limited market in India for fountain pens which cost Rs. 1000 and up3. People who do buy pens in that price bracket would rather go for a basic Sheaffer or basic Lamy which can often be had for less than Rs. 1500. 4. Since these are foreign brands, there is a perceived premium attached to them, so the price tag seems "worth it". Camlin is a "local" brand.

I'm now hoping you will indeed succeed in getting the remaining nine pens so that shipping can commence - and that you, yourself, who started this whole group buy, can have your pen. But maybe they can actually turn up the addtional ones...

Cheer up, so far, you're doing a fantastic job! :thumbup: :notworthy1: :clap1:

Thank you so much.

One possible explanation is that they knew they couldn't fulfill the entire order but thought that they'd lose the order if they revealed that.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I would have expected that Camlin, a large company, would have hundreds, if not thousands of SDs in stock, but it seems the SD pen is really a niche product.

That does sound like a bit of a pain really. A real shame that Camlin was misleading about the quantity of pens they could supply and had on hand. It does sound a little strange to me that they don't have production running for these pens and if they DO that they could only get 9 pens (a production run would be much larger than that). Also the QC check on that box was 23/04/2012, so 11 months ago. Hmmmm.

Thanks for those photo's of the SD. Much better than most other I can find on the internet. Comparing the pictures to the Noodlers Ahabs I have here, I am still uncertain that Camlin is making them (in addition to the fact they don't seem to have any production runs for the SD). While the end of the barrel does look similar, the indented part on the SD appears slightly shorter, slightly thinner (but this could just be the light in the photos) and finished with a Jewel on the end (which the Noodlers doesn't have, it being totally solid). The top end of the barrel is totally different between the Noodlers Ahab and the Camlin SD, the Noodlers pen have no metal ring and threads for the screw on cap. The section is similar on the Ahab to that of the SD, but the Ahab does not have the metal end which the SD has. The cap has similarities, but the end jewel is different and the clip looks slightly different. The materials the SD and the Noodlers Ahab are made from look to be different as well. While it is possible that Camlin has different molds and materials to make the Noodlers pens, with the production numbers Noodlers are after, would Camlin be able to supply this? Is there any chance of Camlin being able to keep up, and is there a possibility that this is slowing down the production of their own pens?

Anyway, I do hope Camlin are able to get things in order and provide the pens. They might be needing some time to clear space on the production line for more SD pens, but why wouldn't they say this? If they are able to get it together and start providing the pens, I would love to put in an order for some!

Edited by msolok

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

The pens look great, madzaxmax. So sorry that you are getting the run-around with Camlin, but don't feel bad. You have done a great job so far and, as you said, have enough pens to send one to each of us. I hope that means one for you as we'll. it is not your fault that Camlin messed up somewhat and I personally would be quite happy to get one, although if the rest come through, that would be great as well. I hope this doesn't put you off such enterprises in the future.

Thanks for all your work.

Thanks for the support guys.

As mhguda explained in the post above its really not Camlin's fault. There is just no market in India for a domestically made 1000 rupee pens. As far ar purchasing parity goes (i am not an expert economist though) that would be like 70 dollars in India although it seems cheap when you just apply the exchange rate.

Inglourious Basterds...

At least now we can understand why they sell for fifty on FPR. It's not just the exchange rate... there seems to be a real scarcity here. Let's hope Camlin can come through for you - and for us all.

And, BTW, it was not me explaining - I just posted what you sent me. I do not presume to analyze the Indian FP market from here! but your explanation sounds reasonable enough. And when you told us how they postponed the delivery date twice I started to think they probably never believed you would actually go through with twenty-one pens. I wonder what goes on there now...

Good news guys! I got the remaining pens. I will be travelling to Poland tomorrow and will be back in mumbai on Saturday. I'll start mailing next week.

Inglourious Basterds...

Thanks for the update! Have good trip (a warning: it is exceptionally cold in most parts of Europe)

madzaxmax,

that is very good news, we'll look forward to your packages. Poor you, though, traveling to Europe now! Officially spring may have arrived, but the weather does not seem to know it yet...

Safe journey, and all the best.