Wahl-Eversharp Skyliner 50

Earthdawn

...if you look at the review video I plastered on my home page recently and watch closely...

Link to the video please? I looked on the W.E. site and Pensbury Manor and did not find the above referenced review. Thanks... David

Beginning of the thread here as well...

but...

click ->

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• johntdavis

• Drone

• raging.dragon

...if you look at the review video I plastered on my home page recently and watch closely...

Link to the video please? I looked on the W.E. site and Pensbury Manor and did not find the above referenced review. Thanks... David

The video review is in the middle of the Home page in the NEWS area under NEWEST REVIEW Heading

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

I don't even like that particular colour of green but I still want one! :cloud9: Great review and now I really, really, really want one of the new Wahl-Eversharp fountain pens. Time to start saving my pennies....

Thank you, thank you, Syd and partner for reviving this old and wonderful pen brand, can't wait to see your future products.

Holly

Edited by OakIris

We are working with a metallurgist on a new 14k alloy that replicates the springy flexy gold nibs of the Wahl-Eversharp pens of the 30's and 40's, too.

!!Ears pricking up!!

Hi Syd. Thanks for clarifying the delivery charges. It could be an issue for potential customers across the Atlantic, due not only to the $10 delivery charge but the customs fees. To get one from the US to the UK, for instance, customers could face a fine plus a charge of 20% of the price, and that's serious money on a pen that expensive. As they are manufactured within the EU/EFTA apparently, have you considered a parallel distribution system over here? If they are posted from within the EU/EFTA, such taxes are unlikely to apply - so it should work if you use your Italian base, or possibly even from premises in Switzerland. I appreciate this would mean operating an arms-length supply chain rather than personally despatching each package, but in the absence of third-party distributors it could well be worth exploring.

Update on shipping costs and VAT etc. For our EU customers, We are arranging for Intra-EU shipping, Stay tuned.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Hi Syd. Thanks for clarifying the delivery charges. It could be an issue for potential customers across the Atlantic, due not only to the $10 delivery charge but the customs fees. To get one from the US to the UK, for instance, customers could face a fine plus a charge of 20% of the price, and that's serious money on a pen that expensive. As they are manufactured within the EU/EFTA apparently, have you considered a parallel distribution system over here? If they are posted from within the EU/EFTA, such taxes are unlikely to apply - so it should work if you use your Italian base, or possibly even from premises in Switzerland. I appreciate this would mean operating an arms-length supply chain rather than personally despatching each package, but in the absence of third-party distributors it could well be worth exploring.

Update on shipping costs and VAT etc. For our EU customers, We are arranging for Intra-EU shipping, Stay tuned.

Syd

Ears pricking up to this too! Good luck with this, Syd.

OK...We have decided to open the doors to do a SMALL run of our WAHL-EVERSHARP SKYLINE Series pens to keep in inventory in Europe if people wish. My risk is that I will have extra (idle?) inventory in Europe in the hopes for EU orders. I will not produce more than 3 of any model for this process until I can gauge the demand. When that initial supply is exhausted it will be the following month before we will produce more.

So, if people want to take advantage of this process I am willing and asking people to place orders now to reserve their pen in advance. (A number of people have done just that for the Technik, Aluminum pens already). Shipping is anticipated by April 10 or. If these savings are desirable, I hope people will step up and order. This is a costly experiment but we aim to please. If anyone is truly interested in this, please respond to me by PM or by email. If I get a good response I will do it. I will speak to my web engineer over dinner tonight about a check-out field that requests EU delivery for the future, but in the meantime, I can invoice through PayPal based on email orders. Just go to the "Custom Orders" email link to the left of the collections page to email me for this deal or directly at wahlnut@wahleversharp.com to encourage me to move forward on this idea.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

1363631914[/url]' post='2632348']

I don't even like that particular colour of green but I still want one! :cloud9: Great review and now I really, really, really want one of the new Wahl-Eversharp fountain pens. Time to start saving my pennies....

Thank you, thank you, Syd and partner for reviving this old and wonderful pen brand, can't wait to see your future products.

Holly

Mine arrived yesterday and its beautiful - very elegant and lovely to use. You won't be disappointed

OK...We have decided to open the doors to do a SMALL run of our WAHL-EVERSHARP SKYLINE Series pens to keep in inventory in Europe if people wish. My risk is that I will have extra (idle?) inventory in Europe in the hopes for EU orders. I will not produce more than 3 of any model for this process until I can gauge the demand. When that initial supply is exhausted it will be the following month before we will produce more.

So, if people want to take advantage of this process I am willing and asking people to place orders now to reserve their pen in advance. (A number of people have done just that for the Technik, Aluminum pens already). Shipping is anticipated by April 10 or. If these savings are desirable, I hope people will step up and order. This is a costly experiment but we aim to please. If anyone is truly interested in this, please respond to me by PM or by email. If I get a good response I will do it. I will speak to my web engineer over dinner tonight about a check-out field that requests EU delivery for the future, but in the meantime, I can invoice through PayPal based on email orders. Just go to the "Custom Orders" email link to the left of the collections page to email me for this deal or directly at wahlnut@wahleversharp.com to encourage me to move forward on this idea.

Syd

I think it is a great idea! I have to think if I'll bite, since I currently really have to consider my budget. However, every time I look at a Skyliner, it is calling my name. ;-)

Some suggestions:

• Post this in a separate topic in Market Watch, so it gets the attention from potential EU buyers.
  • Consider shipping out of Switzerland, if possible: much lower VAT

Syd - I thought I asked this in another thread, but can't find it. Are you planning to be at the Chicago Pen Show? Will you be bringing pens to sell? If so, can you take orders (and payment) for delivery at the show?

I've always liked the Skyline series. Missed the c/c versions sold in the early 90's, so I don't want to miss out on these.

Syd

That's excellent news, congratulations. I look forward to giving that new check-out field a try if it goes ahead. If they're made over here, they may as well be sold over here... it's worked well enough for that other once-American brand beginning with 'Wa', after all ;)

Edited by Scribble Monboddo

Syd - I thought I asked this in another thread, but can't find it. Are you planning to be at the Chicago Pen Show? Will you be bringing pens to sell? If so, can you take orders (and payment) for delivery at the show?

I've always liked the Skyline series. Missed the c/c versions sold in the early 90's, so I don't want to miss out on these.

I, myself will not be able to be at the show. I am working with a regular show going vendor to "Rep" the line at the shows I don't go to. That is a work in progress and more information will be available about that in a week or two. It is iffy. Given that I am offering totally free shipping to the USA through May and only a $10 shipping fee to International buyers, there is no financial benefit to show delivery, at the present. I will make an announcement if I can come to terms with a sales rep.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

A few comments regarding the EU shipping decision:

I am glad to do it if it helps people to acquire and enjoy our pens. It is not as simple as it sounds to do it from my end, as there are formal roles and actual contractual agreements that have to be bent to accommodate this process. Now I will look to see who "steps up" for a pen. Obviously cheap shipping to the EU from here (at 50% off even intra- EU shipping costs today) was not enough so I am willing to go for holding back a few thousand dollars worth of pens in a separate inventory and reconciling the accounts and entries necessary to track it. But I am willing to see the results. If we don't sell double that amount in new pen sales for doing it in a reasonable period of time it could prove to be foolhardy and expensive gesture. I hope not.

Generally, I love giving great customer service and being open to all good ideas, but I am also having to be cautious on what I take action on. One or 2 people expressing an opinion on FPN for example might not be completely representative nor the the best basis for altering a sound financial plan. Tail could be wagging the dog, don't you know. For example I listened to some firm requests from people who were convinced that a cool 50's motif car theme box and a die-cast car were silly cost adding extras...people wanted me to offer the Skyliner 50's without car and box at a reduced price. So I did that and made some changes to my accounts in my bookkeeping system etc, and so far not one order of that ilk..not even from the people who asked for me to make that available. I guess I may be too willing to err on the side of customer service and responsiveness, even to listen to Armchair consultants - hows that for being open minded? We did listen to the desire for adjustable nibs and we're gonna do it - they are in process of design now. And the cost to me to make them = Only 17,500 euros!

Anyway, I have opened up a new tab on the WAHL-EVERSHARP website called The Double Check Club for owners of our pens to congregate and discuss their hopes and dreams and suggestions for improvement for our line. And the price of admission and initiation? Merely being the owner a new WAHL-EVERSHARP pen. Those are the folks I think I need to listen to - the ones with first hand knowledge of the pens and with the proven loyalty and commitment to the brand for their desires for our future pens.

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

I love the toy car idea, so if I am going to order a Skyline, I wanna have the car too!

Edit: Could not wait any longer, and ordered a "EU" Skyliner.

Edited by reval

I am glad to do it if it helps people to acquire and enjoy our pens. It is not as simple as it sounds to do it from my end, as there are formal roles and actual contractual agreements that have to be bent to accommodate this process. Now I will look to see who "steps up" for a pen. Obviously cheap shipping to the EU from here (at 50% off even intra- EU shipping costs today) was not enough so I am willing to go for holding back a few thousand dollars worth of pens in a separate inventory and reconciling the accounts and entries necessary to track it. But I am willing to see the results. If we don't sell double that amount in new pen sales for doing it in a reasonable period of time it could prove to be foolhardy and expensive gesture. I hope not.

Generally, I love giving great customer service and being open to all good ideas, but I am also having to be cautious on what I take action on. One or 2 people expressing an opinion on FPN for example might not be completely representative nor the the best basis for altering a sound financial plan. Tail could be wagging the dog, don't you know. For example I listened to some firm requests from people who were convinced that a cool 50's motif car theme box and a die-cast car were silly cost adding extras...people wanted me to offer the Skyliner 50's without car and box at a reduced price. So I did that and made some changes to my accounts in my bookkeeping system etc, and so far not one order of that ilk..not even from the people who asked for me to make that available. I guess I may be too willing to err on the side of customer service and responsiveness, even to listen to Armchair consultants - hows that for being open minded? We did listen to the desire for adjustable nibs and we're gonna do it - they are in process of design now. And the cost to me to make them = Only 17,500 euros!

Anyway, I have opened up a new tab on the WAHL-EVERSHARP website called The Double Check Club for owners of our pens to congregate and discuss their hopes and dreams and suggestions for improvement for our line. And the price of admission and initiation? Merely being the owner a new WAHL-EVERSHARP pen. Those are the folks I think I need to listen to - the ones with first hand knowledge of the pens and with the proven loyalty and commitment to the brand for their desires for our future pens.

Ouch. I expected you'd get at least a few orders from the FPN peanut gallery for the packaging light offer. I guess the free advice was worth what you paid for it!

I think a lot of the advice was coming from people who wish they could afford your pens and are frustrated that they cannot. Unfortunately I suspect that mass manufacturing in Asia would be the only way to hit the price points they desire. That works for TWSBI because speedy owns a (presumably) profitable factory and can make pens as a side project with a (relatively) minimal capital outlay. However, for WE this strategy would be either far more expensive (building your own factory) or risky (relying on outsourced manufacturing).

I see your current prices falling in between the value and luxury markets, competing with the low price and mid range lines of several luxury brands.

I prefer over sized pens, and that's the only reason I'm still on the fence about the Skyline (in particular the carbon fibre). Whether or not I buy a Skyline, I'm looking forward to the larger Dorics, Gold Seals, etc. that you have planned for the future! And also the adjustable and flex nibs you're working on.

Edited by raging.dragon

The best way to get a new Doric in the future is to purchase one (or more) of the Wahl-Eversharp pen(s) now. It was part of the motivation why I ordered one.

Has your 'packaging light' offer actually been promoted anywhere else, Syd? Mentioning it en passant in this single strand of correspondence on a specialist bulletin board is perhaps not the fullest extent of possible advertising. I thought it was a good offer and, if I'd been interested in the 'Fifties' models, would have been tempted.

As regards possible EU customers, the perceived problem is, I think, more about local sales taxes imposed at port of entry, rather than the shipping cost per se. These taxes can be substantial, and feel unnecessary or unfair given that the pens themselves are apparently largely manufactured within the EU (or at least EFTA). Candidly, it's a little surprising that this issue was not foreseen, but there are a lot of variables to handle in a new logistics operation, and it's great to hear that you're looking into a solution. However, if it seems like you blame customers for the inconvenience, you could risk alienating potential buyers.

You've raised what sounds like a query about how you carry out market research. Again, it's your decision. However, put simply, if you contemplate only asking for feedback from existing customers, you'll reduce your chances of expanding into new markets, and in a start-up scenario where you have little customer base to speak of yet, that sounds a little self-defeating. I agree with some of the other posters here that comparisons with TWSBI's pricing are not entirely reasonable, but their customer engagement tactics are well worth emulating - these are not actually 'free' as they take up quite a bit of time, but they don't necessarily require up-front capital investment.

Sorry for the lecture - as it happens, I'm not an 'armchair consultant', but I would like to be a customer, and with all the improvements you're making to the website it sounds a lot like that could happen. Thanks for introducing encryption to the purchase details page and adding your contact details to the site, and good luck with the nib development ideas.

Edited by Scribble Monboddo

Has your 'packaging light' offer actually been promoted anywhere else, Syd? Mentioning it en passant in this single strand of correspondence on a specialist bulletin board is perhaps not the fullest extent of possible advertising. I thought it was a good offer and, if I'd been interested in the 'Fifties' models, would have been tempted.

I can't remember exactly where the post is now (it might be in this one, actually--and I'm a bit bemused that neither of the two big threads on this pen are actually in the W-E forum), but IIRC the light packaging deal was an FPN exclusive created for and marketed towards those in these threads that were expressing a desire to buy these pens without the car or fancy box.

As I understood it, it was not meant to be promoted much wider than that--unless it was wildly successful. Pens with the light packaging would have been a non-standard production run and thus more difficult/labor intensive to do, even if only slightly. From what I remember Syd implied it would only become a regular, widely advertised thing if the people in the thread that requested it really took advantage of it. Apparently they didn't.

Given the clamor for the light packaging option, I'm actually surprised not a single person went for it. Though I humbly suggest this means Syd shouldn't go out of his way to accommodate overly troublesome requests. He's got a great product line at reasonable prices, and he's set up European shipping at posters' requests.

Just because it's not exactly the way some of us might want it, or costs more than some of us might like, does not mean there's anything wrong with it. These are nice pens, made out of nice materials, shipped in very nice packaging, with (obviously) a very accommodating staff running the show. Setting up a sustainable business model is hard, and questionably reasonable nitpicking will not help.

I dearly wanted a Technic, but can't afford one right now. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the pricing or the packaging. (I want the packaging.) It just means I can't afford the pen (yet). And I have no complaint with that. Nice things are expensive.

I agree with you. As I've said previously in this thread it is unfair and unreasonable to compare this product line to something like the TWSBIs. The TWSBIs are mass produced at a factory controlled by Speedy. Speedy has economies of scale W-E does not (for now). I would further submit the W-E's are objectively made of nicer materials and likely have higher build quality in certain respects. The nib options are certainly superior. A small company like W-E trying to compete price-wise with a huge operation like TWSBI (which is a side business of an even larger manufacturing operation)--or any other uber-large pen company with substantial economies of scale--would IMHO be like getting into a price competition with Wal-Mart. (Not a dig at quality: Wal-Mart is hugely successful, everything else aside, because it can keep prices too low for most independents to compete with.)

As regards possible EU customers, the perceived problem is, I think, more about local sales taxes imposed at port of entry, rather than the shipping cost per se. These taxes can be substantial, and feel unnecessary or unfair given that the pens themselves are apparently largely manufactured within the EU (or at least EFTA). Candidly, it's a little surprising that this issue was not foreseen, but there are a lot of variables to handle in a new logistics operation, and it's great to hear that you're looking into a solution. However, if it seems like you blame customers for the inconvenience, you could risk alienating potential buyers.

I would guess (and Syd, please step in if I'm totally wrong) that a market study/survey of some sort was done and it was decided that sufficient orders would come from outside the EU to make the VAT issue a lower priority initially. Getting things into and out of the EU, and the whole VAT situation in general, is a sometimes awkward, often unpleasant business. I certainly don't expect it to be any different for these pens, especially, again, given that W-E is currently a startup company.

As you say, I really appreciate that Syd is investigating a solution presently. I think a lot of startups wouldn't try to be so flexible, given their initially limited resources.

From everything I've read, Syd and the rest of W-E have a very thought out business plan. If I was going to give any advice it would be to stick to it and not try to be all things to all people, and only change things either when you are able to without hurting your ability to continue operating or when something is obviously not working. Having W-E back is too cool. I want it to stay around for a good long time. :)

People who can afford these pens and want them will buy them if they're marketed sufficiently. People who don't want them and or can't afford them, won't. And there's not much anyone can really do about that.

I would guess (and Syd, please step in if I'm totally wrong) that a market study/survey of some sort was done and it was decided that sufficient orders would come from outside the EU to make the VAT issue a lower priority initially. Getting things into and out of the EU, and the whole VAT situation in general, is a sometimes awkward, often unpleasant business. I certainly don't expect it to be any different for these pens, especially, again, given that W-E is currently a startup company.[/font]

As you say, I really appreciate that Syd is investigating a solution presently. I think a lot of startups wouldn't try to be so flexible, given their initially limited resources.

From everything I've read, Syd and the rest of W-E have a very thought out business plan. If I was going to give any advice it would be to stick to it and not try to be all things to all people, and only change things either when you are able to without hurting your ability to continue operating or when something is obviously not working. Having W-E back is too cool. I want it to stay around for a good long time. :)

People who can afford these pens and want them will buy them if they're marketed sufficiently. People who don't want them and or can't afford them, won't. And there's not much anyone can really do about that.

For the lack of EU based logistics, my guess is that Syd is handling inventory and distribution personally and since he happens to be in the US, all shipping is thus from the US.

A couple of quick answers.

1) The need for or lack of need for specialized EU shipping options in the initial plan was in retrospect probably a little ego/USA centric. That is, I thought people in the EU countries buy things imported from the USA everyday and make allowances for the added cost of such in their buying decisions. I know I buy products made in Europe here in the States all the time and know full well a part of the price is for customs duty. Heck I pay duty on these new Skyline pens that go into the WAHL-EVERSHARP inventory because they come to me from Europe.. For 35 years I have been buying my Au Sauvage Dior after shave knowing full well I was paying a premium for it...but nothing else would do for me.

So, I made a value versus price assumption...If I kept the cost of the pen and the shipping down best I could, people would see that the final price even with the VAT was still a good value. Clearly I did not anticipate a general prejudice (meant in the kindest possible way) that all things from the US including my pens might be rejected because of the VAT. Probably naive on my part because people would not know the value until they could see and compare the pen to others. That's why the reviews are/were so important: To demonstrate the quality, the merits and the value of our pens.

2) Why not much chatter on the Wahl-Eversharp forum by me about my pens. Simple. It would be a conflict of duties. I am the moderator of that forum. And the rule is no commercialism on the pen brand forums. I don't even what to give the impression of doing business there. These discussions we have been having border on a number of business related, pricing, delivery and shipping cost and its impact on the pricing and special deals etc. Completely inappropriate for the Wahl-Eversharp Band forum.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com