The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wahl-Eversharp Skyliner 50

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:22

Well while I am waiting for the video review to process I thought I would drop a teaser photo of the writing....

This pen is impressive! :thumbup:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Video is up ....

enjoy

Edited by Earthdawn, 05 March 2013 - 03:15.

Sponsored Content

#2 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:52

Post is updated....

Video is up now...

#3 secant

secant

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:55

Wonderful review! I can not wait for the Technic collection at the end of April.
Thank you!

#4 Pengrump

Pengrump

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:32

Now I've gone and ordered one. See what your review made me do??? :headsmack: Of course, I ordered one in red since Im so fond of subtlety. :ltcapd:

#5 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,365 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:53

@Earthdawn,

Thanks for the review. Yours may be the first review here on the new WE pens. If-so, congratulations!

Also, thanks for taking the time to delve into the semi-flex nature of the nib. This is what I was most interested in.

From the looks of it, I think a medium to broad semi-flex is a good description of your nib. By watching your writing samples I would say the flexible behavior is rather like a Noodler's Ahab or Konrad nib, with the exceptions being that the Noodler's nibs are more of a fine designation instead of a medium when not flexed (and that the WE nib probably works straight out of the box).

From what I've seen so-far, I'm quite impressed with these new WE pens. This looks like a serious rebirth for Wahl-Eversharp, not just someone dusting off the name and selling over-priced copies of vintage pens that look and feel like Chinese or India/Pakistani made moderns.

That said, I've been wondering - why is there little to no coverage of the WE relaunch in the pen blogs yet?

If TWSBI even hinted at another pen mutation, that's all we would hear about for a week. But when the WE company is reborn, and their first pens look great - nothing. Hmmm...

Thanks again, David

#6 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:10

@Earthdawn,

That said, I've been wondering - why is there little to no coverage of the WE relaunch in the pen blogs yet?

David,
Which Blogs are you referring to? Maybe we have failed to "stimulate" them somehow?
Syd

Edited by Wahlnut, 05 March 2013 - 06:11.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#7 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:19

@ Drone

Why is this not HUGE news out there... I just don't know. BUT I can say that it's one of the reasons I wanted the pen sent ASAP even without the box. Syd Saperstein emailed me right after ordering letting me know that the special boxes they had made for the Skyliner series were all out. They sold out between the LA show and the days after. I told him I wanted the pen sent now, please, and the box could come later. I needed to see what was going on and how the resurrection of the Wahl~Eversharp Company was going. I know Syd mentioned he did some interviews at the LA pen show so we may see more on the NEWS front in the coming weeks.

Again, I agree with you 100% ! If speedy hinted at a pen it would be the weeks longest running thread. The Wahl~Eversharp company being brought back from the dead may be some of the biggest news in the pen industry for the next 10 years. The pens they are planning to have out look great... and I know there is more going on that we don't know about.

@ secant

Oh yea... after seeing how well this pen did I can't wait to get my hands on a Cobalt Blue Technic :happyberet:

#8 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:20

@ Drone

I know Syd mentioned he did some interviews at the LA pen show so we may see more on the NEWS front in the coming weeks.

Yes, two magazines will feature articles about the new WAHL-EVERSHARP line that should speak for themselves. I think quality, consistency and long term reliability...the old slow and steady wins the race...does that make me a tortoise? Rather be a tortoise brain than a "hair"brain, I guess.
Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#9 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,365 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:31

David,
Which Blogs are you referring to? Maybe we have failed to "stimulate" them somehow?
Syd

Hi Syd, I sent you an email with a scraping of my Pen Blog links. I don't want to risk triggering spam alarms here (if such exists) by posting a bunch of links. Rgds, David

#10 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:49

Edited by JonSzanto, 05 March 2013 - 07:57.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#11 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,365 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:10

Drone, why don't you order up a pen and do a review?

Hi JonSzanto,

"Ordering-Up" a $200 USD pen is not a trivial thing for me - maybe it is for you.

Add to that I need to ship it half-way around the world, which is either a risky (mail with no reliable tracking) or expensive (courier service with tracking and insurance) proposition.

And finally there are very high import duties, taxes and handling fees to pay - around 25%-30% of the price.

Sigh... I just made my self depressed :mellow:

But rest assured, soon I will get a Skyline, either new or vintage (I'm on the fence about that). It has been on my list for far too long now. And then I will post a review :thumbup:

Edited by Drone, 05 March 2013 - 08:12.

#12 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:16

My apologies, David. These thoughts occurred to me after I had posted, and redacted what I had written. Not soon enough, though, as you've already had a response. Anyway, didn't want it to come off wrong.

Since you've mentioned it, though... don't you think the very barriers you mention - the price point - may be some of the reason for the lower amount of attention you are seeing about the pens? Honestly, the pens that seem to get the most coverage are the ones that the most people can have some reasonable expectation of using and owning. How much can people write about a pen that they not only don't own, but probably won't?

I don't have the answers, I'm mostly thinking out loud. Sorry again for the hasty post.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#13 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:19

Very nice review and a lust worthy pen. Really love the way it writes.

I guess now all that's left is to order one - hmmmm.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice; damn
There goes that fox again.

#14 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,365 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:43

I don't have the answers, I'm mostly thinking out loud. Sorry again for the hasty post.

No worries & no offense taken at all here...

Yeah, I wondered if the price-point might be the reason for the lack of interest. But that may explain something like a drastic difference in coverage between a pen that costs say, fifty bucks - like a TWSBI, and these new Skylines, which run substantially more.

But I don't think it explains a complete lack of coverage - especially at the likes of the Fountain Pen Geeks blog - which is very popular these days. I've prodded FPGeeks to post about the new WE company a few times - nothing.

Oh well - maybe Syd can "Stimulate" them (as he put it) :hmm1:

Anyway... I don't want to hijack the thread on this nice review with this coverage issue. Best Regards, David

#15 steb

steb

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:31

Ooooh shiny..... I've always liked the look of the classic skylines, but have been a little put of by reports of problems with the plastic.

#16 sebastel23

sebastel23

i'm not ham fisted. my hands are more bacon flat.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:33

Add to that I need to ship it half-way around the world, which is either a risky (mail with no reliable tracking) or expensive (courier service with tracking and insurance) proposition.

And finally there are very high import duties, taxes and handling fees to pay - around 25%-30% of the price.

well, i'll see how shipping works towards this half of the world. delivery times of several weeks are to be considered normal. and import tax? huh. no idea. i know german/EU import regulations, but considering the potential bureaucratic mess that the locals here are able to produce .. better not think of it.

so, sunny mind, looking forward. by the way, spring arrived here. birds sing their songs everywhere. :D

Edited by sebastel23, 05 March 2013 - 11:33.

#17 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 18:23

So does it take Waterman carts or standard international?

#18 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 19:05

Waterman
Syd
Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#19 Sallent

Sallent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 19:15

Waterman
Syd

That will get expensive fast. Have you seen the price on a pack of Waterman cartridges these days? Using the piston might be the better choice.

Do all your pens include a piston filler in them, or does one have to purchase them separately?
Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

#20 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 19:54

It came with the cartridge convertor.

You can also reuse the waterman carts

Sponsored Content

|