The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi 540 Diamond In Amber

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 politovski

politovski

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:57

ok,
so if you have seen my post, Pens for Docs, you know of my search for a good pen. some had
recommended the twsbi, so i took a look. read some reviews. then, read up on the history,
and i had to take the pepsi challenge. so, i bought a set, a 700 and 540 as a package deal,
and have gotten them in the mail. i usually do 3x5" card reviews, but i had just gotten
some exacompta bristol note cards, so thought that may be a bit better. so, if you want
pretty pictures, i would look at this fellow's review, as i would likely do a far inferior
job at product photos: Review. so, here is a picture of the bristol card and the pen, taken with
my olympus tg-1 on a backdrop of clairefontaine journal paper. if you are dissatisfied with
the color, i would recommend first calibrating your monitor (see one of sandy1's ink reviews)
then download the photo, and use an image editor to select the white paper as a white point
then balance it with levels. so, without much further ado:540 Amber XF.
Posted Image
a few extras:
1.it seems that i can get 2 weeks of constant use out of 1 fill with this xf nib.
2.the nib is a nail; zero flex; just the way i like them.
3.the clip is very nice and will keep the pen in your shirt while bending over
4.flow seems rather dry. tames the aircorps blueblack, which tends to run/feather/bleed in my 2000.
5.not very good for fast signatures. runs out of ink halfway through mine.
6.the piston fill is nice and easy out of a 90mL noodlers bottle
7.feels good in big hands. i wear size 8 gloves, and my shafer, pelikano, noodlers pen and just about
everything shy of my densho feels small in my hands.
8.for $40 off the twsbi site, why not?
-p

Edited by watch_art, 24 March 2013 - 06:12.

Sponsored Content

#2 steb

steb

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:09

Nice review. A small grizzle on the photo-camera back parallel to the card would make reading easier. Have you given the 700 a run on rounds yet?

#3 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:17

But what do you think of the Vac700? which color did you get that in, btw?

#4 politovski

politovski

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:33

have used the 700 with a 1.5mm stub, and primarily for signing MAR's and writing personal letters. got it in the smoke color and it looks really cool. this one pulls duty for progress notes, orders, and for taking notes during our sermon at church (i am a total (bleep) and take notes on an exacompta forum journal and fine nibs seem to work best in this particular medium). i am thinking about getting a color swatch, not just for this but whitebalancing for my pentax. but, you can use the white point trick to balance it perfectly for your equiptment. later.
-p

#5 fountain pen dealer

fountain pen dealer

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 15:37

Have to agree the VAC 700 in smoke look elegant. i have one in fine and i love it.

#6 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:08

I purchased the amber 540 from TWSBI....my 10 year old scooped it and with a lovely broad nib.

Enough about me I enjoyed those wonderful pictures you took. I wish I had more than a motorolla camera on my phone.
Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti all wonderful.

Sponsored Content

|