New To Fountain Pen's - Bought A Franklin Covey

Mike_Dowling

Hello, I'm new to fountain pens, on a whim I bought a Franklin Covey fountain pen at Staples, it was $13.00 after the cashier gave me a coupon. I picked up a moleskin notebook and wanted a decent looking pen for meetings, I'm sick of using the scribbled legal pad and junk pens, and I love my iPad and smartphone but I always take meetings notes with a pen and paper, typing especially on a device is just terrible for meeting notes.

Anyway I thought the fountain pen would be a novelty and work decent but man this thing stinks, I have to turn the nib upside down to get the ink flowing, then when writing the right way it just scratches at the paper and the ink stops running, then I turn the nib over to get the ink going again and it will write for a couple more lines then peters out. I'm taking it back to staples tomorrow to see if I can get my money back.

I ended up doing some research for better options and the Lamy Safari, Waterman Phileas etc... But I'm a little gun shy now after this first experience with a basically unusable pen. Are these things just finicky? Or can you get a reliable pen that basically writes when you put the point to paper? I was also looking at a Pelikan m200 but it's a bit pricey, I don't mind paying money for something works and will last, but I don't want to spend the money and end up struggling trying to make a pen work.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike_Dowling

• Runnin_Ute

• yolrgrand

• PolarMoonman

The Pelikan M200 used to be a killer deal 5-6 years ago when you could find one for $50-$60, but at today's prices of $140 for one, not so much.

You can get a better pen at those prices, and one that will write great straight out of the box. If you are interested in piston fillers, look at a Bexley Corona for $138. Richard Binder has them on his website for that price, and it is basically the closest you can get to a Pelikan M800 for M200 prices (or so I've heard.)

Richard tweaks all nibs to make sure they work perfectly, so buying from his site is a guarantee of quality. He also has cheaper pens on his website such as the Bexley Jitterbug and the Bexley Intrepid if you don't mind cartridge fountain pens.

While Pelikan pens usually have good nibs out of the box, as do most other pen makers, I've gotten quite a few dud Pelikan nibs in my lifetime...enough to know Pelikan nibs can be just as bad as the rest if you get stuck with a lemon, and Pelikan is no better than the other big pen manufacturers when it comes to quality (so it is very possible to get stuck with a bad one.) Anyway, check the site out. I have no relation to Richard or his business. I'm just an ambulance chaser (attorney), but I've bought pens and nibs from Richard in the past and I was always 100% satisfied.

He also sells Pelikans, if you insist of paying the absurd Pelikan prices that they go for these days.

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=pens/bex.htm

Edited by Sallent

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Hi Mike..welcome to FPN.

Some pens are finicky. Here are links to a couple that I have and love. They're all from Goulet Pens - reputable, fast-shipping, and friendly. I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Safari_Blue_Fountain_Pen_p/lmy-l14.htm Around $30. Suggest the medium nib starting out. You can use a cartridge (there's one in the box for you) or buy the converter and use bottled ink.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Metropolitan_Fountain_Pen_Silver_Dots_p/pn91105.htm Best $15 pen I've ever had. Squeeze converter works well for bottled ink.

I think it's safe to say that the pen you bought at Staples isn't representative of fountain pens as a whole. I bought a Cross there recently and while I own several very nice Cross pens, the one from Staples was definitely not worth the money I paid for it.

Best of luck you.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

I have to turn the nib upside down to get the ink flowing,

hehe I have a few pens like that, :roflmho: it's really weird how they work upside down.... :hmm1:

Check this one out, buttery smooth writing, worked straight out of box. Several different color options available as well. I got the black and burgundy one....

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Frontier-Fountain-Translucent-S0682190/dp/B004IM4U7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362435140&sr=8-2&keywords=parker+frontier+fountain

I am new to the fountain pen scene, as well. When I first started writing with one, I felt the same way. Sometimes it felt scratchy and the ink wouldn't flow easily. I ended up buying a Pilot Plumix for $2 and have been practicing writing with it. I have found that at times I do watch the way I hold my pen and the speed in which I write. It does make a difference for me. So far, I like it. I know that it will be different for each FP I use, but I find myself looking forward to the experience. ^_^

Edited by Seiry

"Intelligence plus character – that is the true goal of education." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition." - Jacques Barzun

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” ― Albert Einstein

“A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.” ― Nelson Mandela

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” ― Aristotle

At a $13 retail price point I would suspect the tines are misaligned, the nib needs smoothing, or possibly the tines need to be widened. Perhaps someone else will post a tutorial or links to another thread - I've got to run for now :P

I'm reasonably sure Franklin Covey isn't a pen maker, a much as an "office bling"/gadget maker. It doesn't surprise me that their pens are only $13 nor that they aren't (apparently) even very good.

Edited by Harlequin

I'm reasonably sure Franklin Covey isn't a pen maker, a much as an "office bling"/gadget maker. It doesn't surprise me that their pens are only $13 nor that they aren't (apparently) even very good.

I am 100% sure they aren't a pen maker. Their specialty? Day planners and related items. They pay somebody else to make these.

A Lamy Safari, Al Star or Vista is a nice starter pen and well liked by many here. I have an Al Star and it was my first. Have had it for a decade or more without issues. Waterman Phileas if you can find one.(I have two) All three can be had for under $50 each. I paid $45 for my last Phileas. If you go the Lamy route, spend an extra $5 and buy the converter so you aren't stuck using cartridges and can explore the wonderful world of different inks. (Safari is ABS plastic, Al Star is aluminum and Vista is a clear demonstrator)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Welcome Mike,

I'm glad you found this forum so that we may tell you that there really are fountain pens that are a joy to use, the nibs are buttery smooth, and the ink flows immediately and consistently.

For many people, their first and only experience with fountain pens was a pen that didn't work properly, the ink skips, or the tines were misaligned and scratchy, so they may assume that all fountain pens are an annoying waste of time.

Whether you decide to try a new/modern pen or a restored pen from the 1930-50's, I encourage you to try another fountain pen from another source. Some of my best writers are restored Parkers or Sheaffers with 14K nibs that are over 50 years old and I bought them for around $60 or less. These pens were made in an age when everyone used fountain pens and they would have demanded a pen that worked perfectly. There was a lot of competition to make the perfect pen.

If you live near a large city, they may have an annual pen show so you can try scores of pens, or there may be a group of fountain pen lovers who meet occasionally in your area.

Don't give up. You may have to "kiss a few frogs" before you find your "princess" of a pen.

:W2FPN:

I would suggest a Nemosine Singularity. Most reports have them as ultra-reliable, and great writing right out of the box. Mine is no exception and for $14.95 plus shipping, it's a great deal.

Check it out here

Just scroll down past the five nibs and you are looking at the pens.

For note taking, I would suggest a fine nib just because certain inks and papers don't always get along and you could get an absorbent paper and a flowy ink and the writing not be legible with a broader nib. Ultimately it's your choice and these are just suggestions form someone who is by no means an expert on any of the items mentioned above. Not associated with XFountainpens BTW.

Good luck.

I highly recommend looking at the Pilot metropolitan it can be purchased from most of the online pen dealers for 15.00 or so. It comes with a converter and the three I have are all smooth wet writers.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

Hello, I'm new to fountain pens, on a whim I bought a Franklin Covey fountain pen at Staples, it was $13.00 after the cashier gave me a coupon. I picked up a moleskin notebook and wanted a decent looking pen for meetings, I'm sick of using the scribbled legal pad and junk pens, and I love my iPad and smartphone but I always take meetings notes with a pen and paper, typing especially on a device is just terrible for meeting notes.

Anyway I thought the fountain pen would be a novelty and work decent but man this thing stinks, I have to turn the nib upside down to get the ink flowing, then when writing the right way it just scratches at the paper and the ink stops running, then I turn the nib over to get the ink going again and it will write for a couple more lines then peters out. I'm taking it back to staples tomorrow to see if I can get my money back.

I ended up doing some research for better options and the Lamy Safari, Waterman Phileas etc... But I'm a little gun shy now after this first experience with a basically unusable pen. Are these things just finicky? Or can you get a reliable pen that basically writes when you put the point to paper? I was also looking at a Pelikan m200 but it's a bit pricey, I don't mind paying money for something works and will last, but I don't want to spend the money and end up struggling trying to make a pen work.

I saw that pen at Staples and was worried that someone will buy it and have trouble with it. Those pens are just not reliable enough for beginners, which is a shame.

It's very disappointing that fountain pens are so tricky for beginners to get familiar with and enjoy. If you go to an art supplies store, you're likely to come across some calligraphy pens but no fountain pens.

It would be best if Staples carried the Platinum Preppy in different colors and got rid of all those other fountain pens that are displayed along with other gift or executive pens. The Preppy is a very reliable, fun, and easy to use pen. It's also fairly inexpensive (under $5). I would recommend that you buy a Preppy, and maybe a Pilot Varsity. If you want to use your Moleskine notebook, be prepared for some ink bleed-through, unless you use a fine-tipped nib, such as the Preppy 0.3.

Good luck!

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I bought a Lamy Safari and a Pelikan m200 lol, we'll see how it goes. If these two stink I'll pack it in and go back to my gel pen. The Safari was cheap and a no-brainer to try, the Pelikan I bought because I haven't owned anything made by Germans that wasn't top notch. I know there are mixed reviews about the M200 not being worth the money, but $110 didn't seem outlandish.

The original Franklin Covey pen I bought wasn't with the Cross pens, it was hanging with the cheaper pens, I just bought it on an impulse, it really stunk. The tines were definitely misaligned when I looked at them, I didn't need a magnifying glass to see it. I just returned it, Staples took it back no questions asked so props to them for that.

Edited by Mike_Dowling

Good pickups, Mike. Pair of Germans. I think you will really like them. I don't have a M200 yet, but have the aluminum version of the Safari - the Al Star. I think you made very good choices.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I definitely recommend a TWSBI 540. That was my first fountain pen two years ago and I'm still using it!

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."

-John Quincy Adams

"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it will get you the right ones."

-John Lennon

I have to turn the nib upside down to get the ink flowing,

hehe I have a few pens like that, :roflmho: it's really weird how they work upside down.... :hmm1:

It worked flawlessly upside down to be honest, I think it's because turning it upside down pushed down the misaligned tine that was sticking up and lined them back up letting the ink flow. The pen would probably work if the tines weren't so wonky. But in the end it was easier to return it then fuss with it.

All kidding aside, I suggest starting with a $45 Lamy Al-Star and get the converter, perhaps fine nib. Awesome, smooth, durable, hassle-free and attractive.