The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Baoer 79 Review

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mister John

Mister John

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:14

In my recent foray into the world of Chinese pens, I was attracted to the Baoer 79, a copy of the Montblanc Starwalker. Here is my review:

Appearance 8/10: This is a handsome pen. The finish is matte black with what look to be laser etched silver horizontal and vertical lines. It would be easy to screw this up, but the lines are all perfectly done with no glitches that I can see. Even nicer yet, when the cap is secured fully, the lines on the cap correspond perfectly to those in the body of the pen. This pen uses threads for posting as well. Even more remarkably, everything lines up when posted too. Like the MB Starwalker, the cap is crowned by a half dome of glass. In the MB model, the snowcap is suspended in this dome while the Jinhao has an empty dome. This is a bit of a drawback since they do nothing whatever with the dome. There is no logo underneath; just a plain glass dome. From afar however, it is a pen that could easily be mistaken for its more expensive cousin.
Posted Image
Construction: 8/10: The pen is brass with what looks to be a paint, rather than lacquer overlay. The finishing is very good overall, with everything fitting to tight tolerances. The threading on the section and on the blind cap are well executed and very much up to standard. The converter sits solidly in place. Overall, this is a well-built pen. My main misgiving is with the finish, which looks great now but, given that it is only paint, seems unlikely to stand up over the long haul. Still, in the three weeks I've had the pen, nothing has gone wrong with it so far.

Weights and Measures: As one would expect of a brass pen, the weight is moderate, but not extreme. It is comparable to the MB 146. The balance is very good with the pen posted or unposted. The pen is identical in length to a MB 146.

Nib/Writing Quality 7/10: The nib is a simple steel affair modestly adorned with the Baoer rainbow logo along with the name Baoer printed vertically in open lettering. It's a nice enough nib, but hardly comparable to the MB that it is imitating. It writes smoothly, but was very dry when I first got it. Some small tweaks to spread the tines now produce a smooth, wet line. It is not silky smooth like a MB, but has some feedback like an Aurora nib. The main drawback is that the pen is a hard starter, requiring wetting at the start of the day to get it going. It produces a perfectly nice, western medium line without any distinguishing features. The nib does not flex.

Filling system 8/10: It fills via converter, which is smooth to operate and works perfectly well.

Cost/value 10/10: For under $10 including postage, you get a very credible clone of the Starwalker that writes smoothly and well. What more could you want?

Conclusion 8.2/10: As under $10 Chinese pens go, this one is a clear winner. You get a beautiful design evoking a top line pen and a solid writing, if rather pedestrian, writing experience. It has many nice touches like the glass dome, the threaded cap and posting system, and the precision of the lines on the pen. The big question mark is the durability of the paint job, which remains to be seen. Certainly compared to pens like the Hero 616, this is vastly better. Even compared to other Baoer pens, like the 574, which sell for a similar price, this one is vastly better crafted. A good purchase.

Note: Please forgive the quality of my photos. Shot with my iphone because I was too much in a hurry to pull out my real camera gear.

Edited by watch_art, 24 March 2013 - 19:01.

Sponsored Content

#2 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:17

Great review, thanks! Baoers are great pens for the money.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#3 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:46

I bought one like this, after your review, I'm happy with my pen.
Like you say it is a hard starter, it looks more expensive than it is and it's very cheap.
It write smooth and wet and I like the size and weight.
On my pen unfortunately, the lines from the cap not align with the ones from barrel, but who cares?!?

8.5/10

#4 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,613 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:33

Thanks for the review. It's an interesting looking pen, even though I don't find it very attractive.

Regards,

Richard.

#5 TMac

TMac

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:02

Thanks for a thorough review, Mister John!

I bought one of these several years ago, inked it up and thought it was a nice writer. Unfortunately, I dropped it and destroyed the nib and feed.

After adding your comments, maybe it's time to buy another one.

#6 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:23

As I have said on many occasions on this forum Jinhao & Baoer {same company] have problems with the convertors so take my advice and wash out with a little Amonia and soap solution until the water runs clean and then you should have no further trouble, if that does not work then I would try another convertor which will only cost cents, overall these are very well made Brass pens which are fitted with some of the best nibs you will ever use, trust me I own some 40 or so of them and cant fault them and my collection only cost me app $400.00.

#7 subramaniyam

subramaniyam

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:05

I bought one yesterday, without the etched horizontal and vertical lines. Filled up with pelikan violet, and it writes as smooth as butter. I'll definitely be buying another one. Does it accept international cartridges too, apart from the converter?

Regards,

Subramaniyam

#8 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,613 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:38

Yes.

The convertor is an International c/c, so they just swap.

Regards,

Richard

#9 sitnstew

sitnstew

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:51

Bought one today! This is a thing of beauty and for the $4 I paid, how could I go wrong. Thanks for the review!

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.- Terry Pratchet

hxl1.jpg

#10 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:00

great writer!

#11 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 18:34

I love my Baoer 79 and it has been my main pen for work for a month or so now.  Sadly I have managed to scratch some paint off the cap revealing the brass underneath and the lacquer has worn off the section but it does write smoothly and I love the MB inspired design.

#12 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 22:15

I bought one of these not too long ago, and have had the same experience as most commentators here: a great looking pen, writes really nicely... but a hard starter, every time.  I also found the nib a little more susceptible than most to bending - press too hard in search of line variation, and your tines will stay splayed.  On the plus side, it's relatively easy to bend them back again by turning the nib over and applying pressure in the reverse direction!

Overall though, a very nice pen - pleasant to look at, feels good in the hand, and (on my pen anyway) the nib is super smooth.

#13 av8r172

av8r172

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 18:57

I love the nib for it's semi-stub properties.  I find that it is close to a fine stub.

#14 akafridi3

akafridi3

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2014 - 23:06

I had two of these pens, they are very nice, looks much better in person. I gave both of them away as gifts to friends. Recommended, especially given the price.

#15 Silvire

Silvire

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 16:57

Quick question - Have you ever had anyone mistake it for a Mont Blanc?

#16 kopio

kopio

Beginning stages of the disease

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 19:16

I recently bought one of these and could not get it to start at all!  It was quite frustrating.  The nib and feed are held into the pen with a friction feed....and it was a bugger to get out.  I had to use plyers with cushioning, but still managed to bugger up the ribs a bit.  However, one I got the nib feed out I saw the problem.  The nib feed didn't have a clean groove from top to bottom.  I got out my trusty utility knife (very fine point) and scraped down both feed lines a couple of times.  Reassembled and voila!  Pen writes like a champ now.  I would suggest that those of you having hard start issues dissassemble and see if the feed is clogged.  It now writes very nicely, lays down a nice wet line and I am quite happy with my $8 purchase.

-Kopio

The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common
sense tells us that our existence is but a brief
crack of light between two eternities of darkness.
Vladimir Nabakov—Speak, Memory

--Matt (aka Kopio)

#17 MontPelikan

MontPelikan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2017 - 20:16

Hello,

here is a little video review of this pen.

Thank you for watching.

MontPelikan

Sponsored Content

|