The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Two Sailor (1911) Profit Mozaiques.....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:22

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hello everyone!

Before I write any text for a brief review of two Sailor Profit Mozaiques, I need to be able to post a couple of images on this thread.

Trying to do this has been a steep slog up the digital mountain,....... starting with a digital camera, then Canon's Zoombrowser EX programme, finally ending up on Flickr.

With the patient & kind help of FPN member "pokermind", I think I'll be able to achieve an image transfer to this thread.

Here it goes:

Edited by watch_art, 28 February 2013 - 04:39.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Professional-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c.factory "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

Sponsored Content

#2 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:46

Well, it sort of worked!

I did get the link to my pictures on Flikr. "on top" of the first page of my post, But not at the the bottom, where I wanted it.
Actually I was expecting "the pictures", but only got the links. Go figure.

But never mind,..............both my Brown & Red Mozaique's images can be found if you click on the link.
Voila!

Now for the short(ish) review.

There are already a lot of reviews of the popular Sailor 1911 Mid-Size pen on FPN.
Nearly all are of the regular production pens, in various colours & trim with stock nibs.
Most of my small pen collection consists of these cast PMMA resin pens, with modified italic nibs.

A year ago, a machined, acrylic-resin version of these pens caught my eye at a Toronto pen shop. This Brown Profit Mozaique reminded me of pens made out of celluloid, that I've seen in my childhood & on FPN.
Despite a rather high price, I just had to have one.

My new Brown Mozaique originally had a smooth, 14K Rhodium-plated H-M nib.
Since the section size & threads of the Profit Mozaiques are the same as the regular 1911-Ms or the Sapporos, I easily installed one of my rhodium italics, a 14K 0.9 mm CI (by Mottishaw, no affiliation).

Writing with this Brown Mozaique gave me special enjoyment.
I loved the subtle, mottled pattern, the glint of its pearlescent highlights.

Needless to say, the blue highlights in the Red Mozaique also caught my eye.
Had to have that one too. This pen now has an 0.8mm rhodium stub (also by John). The original stock Zoom nib is being sent away to be modified by Mike Masuyama (again, no affiliation).

These Sailor Mozaiques are also available in a Pro-Gear version with yellow gold appointments & also the KOP (without rings).
Beautiful pens.

Compared to my Mid-Size 1911s, the Mozaiques are a tad longer & fatter, a bit heavier,.......but essentially they're the same.

A heavier cap-ring extends right down to the mouth of the cap (as on a demonstrator & some SE pens)).
On the body of the pen (made of five components instead of three): the threading for the cap is on a separate tube of molded PMMA resin, separated from the machined acrylic body by a decorative plated ring.

For my small hand, the un-posted Mozaique is well balanced. I always have one of these pens in my rotation.

Well, it seems my first pen review has turned out to be longer than I expected. I did not follow a specified format,.........but at least I was able to provide a couple of images.

Cheers.

ed: spelling

Edited by tinta, 28 February 2013 - 16:47.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Professional-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c.factory "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#3 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:07

FPN also has it's own photo upload service, accessible via the "Upload" tab.

http://www.fountainp...ndex.php?/ihost

#4 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:28

That's what I used in the beginning Dennis, but all I got was a pink error message. I tried to copy & paste the URL from the Flickr images. Didn't work.
Good to hear from you. Thanks.
Cheers

#5 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:32

That's what I used in the beginning Dennis, but all I got was a pink error message. I tried to copy & paste the URL from the Flickr images. Didn't work.
Good to hear from you. Thanks.
Cheers

As a fellow reviewer, I recommend Photobucket if you'd like to upload forum images. No problems thus far and it is free...

#6 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:04

Thank you for your nice review. Very beautiful pens. I have also KOP sized mozaique(green) .

rokurinpapa

#7 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:52

Thanks "rokurinpa" for the kind words. You have some beautiful Sailor pens reviewed on this Network.

When I first saw the Mozaique series in a shop here in Canada, I could not get much information from the USA distributor about these pens, yet the English language Sailor web-site lists all of the Mozaiques (KOP, Pro Gear & Profit).

A Canadian member on FPN suggested that the Profit versions of these pens are perhaps older stock, released at least two years ago on the Asian market. They slowly made their way here to the West.

Just curious, are all the Sailor Mozaiques readily available in Japan?

#8 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 19:50

Just curious, are all the Sailor Mozaiques readily available in Japan?

I think so. But I have heard KOP sized mozaiques will be made
after they are orderd.

rokurinpapa

#9 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 20:15

Did you have to special order your green one?

#10 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:51

Did you have to special order your green one?

I bought mine through auction. I have found some KOP mozaique pens goes on sale
at several famous leading fountain pen shops. But they are explained as production to
be ordered in Sailor catalog.

rokurinpapa

Sponsored Content

|