Platinum-Made Diplomat For Tiffany?

Readymade

Was trawling Etsy when I came across an interesting wooden pen. It seems to have been made for Tiffany by Diplomat but the design is near-identical to an old-style Platinum Briar pen! Even the nib design looks like Platinum's.

Here's the pen in question (no affiliation etc. Just darn curious!) -- http://www.etsy.com/...plomat-w-german

Compare with a pic of the old-style Platinum here -- http://blogs.yahoo.c...30/5008719.html

Does anyone know if Platinum ever made pens for Diplomat?

Edited by Readymade
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Catsmelt

• Readymade

• JLS1

• mhphoto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those pens ARE very similar, down to the nib design. However, one of the pictures of the Diplomat shows a marking saying (I think) "Made in Germany", which would be a big problem for Tiffany &/or Diplomat if someone discovered that the pen was actually made in Japan by Platinum and simply sold onwards by Diplomat with that marking.

Of course, how you define "Made in <insert country here>" can be fairly elastic definition, so I wouldn't say they're NOT the same pens (or w/parts produced by the same company), but I'm sure others will have more informed opinions.

Those pens ARE very similar, down to the nib design. However, one of the pictures of the Diplomat shows a marking saying (I think) "Made in Germany", which would be a big problem for Tiffany &/or Diplomat if someone discovered that the pen was actually made in Japan by Platinum and simply sold onwards by Diplomat with that marking.

Of course, how you define "Made in <insert country here>" can be fairly elastic definition, so I wouldn't say they're NOT the same pens (or w/parts produced by the same company), but I'm sure others will have more informed opinions.

If I recall correctly the rules for "Made in Germany" are particularly lax.

• 4 weeks later...

If I recall correctly the rules for "Made in Germany" are particularly lax.

The Etsy ad doesn't even say "Made in Germany" but “DIPLOMAT WEST GERMANY”, thus avoiding all legal pitfalls. The picture in the ad also shows a characteristic converter ....

I have this pen, a gift from my late wife (it came with a light blue pouch and a bottle of ink). My problem with it is that I only have the converter, which is on its last legs. I've tried platinum, sailor and any other type of cartridge I can think of and nothing fits. I'm always afraid that the next time I use it, it will be the last time I use it. The converter has a soft-ish rubber gasket that fits around the nipple on the section. It's got a rip in it. The plunger also has a soft rubber cap on the piston end that always gets unseated. Luckily the converter disassembles easily so I can tweak things.

It is a fantastically smooth nib and the pen itself fits so well in my hand.

Hericlitus -- did you use any cartridges with the pen when you owned it? If so, what worked for you? I'd love to continue writing with this pen without worrying so much.

I have this pen, a gift from my late wife (it came with a light blue pouch and a bottle of ink). My problem with it is that I only have the converter, which is on its last legs. I've tried platinum, sailor and any other type of cartridge I can think of and nothing fits. I'm always afraid that the next time I use it, it will be the last time I use it. The converter has a soft-ish rubber gasket that fits around the nipple on the section. It's got a rip in it. The plunger also has a soft rubber cap on the piston end that always gets unseated. Luckily the converter disassembles easily so I can tweak things.

Hericlitus -- did you use any cartridges with the pen when you owned it? If so, what worked for you? I'd love to continue writing with this pen without worrying so much.

One suggestion might be to try contacting Diplomat in Germany and/or Platinum in Japan - I'm pretty sure their customer service has someone w/English knowledge and they might be able to point you in the right direction with regards to finding a replacement or cartridges that work.

I have this pen, a gift from my late wife (it came with a light blue pouch and a bottle of ink). My problem with it is that I only have the converter, which is on its last legs.

Might you be able to post a photo? Easier to help you with suggestions if we can see the converter and where it fits in the section.

I have this pen, a gift from my late wife (it came with a light blue pouch and a bottle of ink). My problem with it is that I only have the converter, which is on its last legs.

Might you be able to post a photo? Easier to help you with suggestions if we can see the converter and where it fits in the section.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the images will be attached to this message.

post-2760-0-68406700-1364409661.jpg

post-2760-0-48272200-1364409625.jpg

post-2760-0-76132700-1364409642.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And just to post some more pics, the ink that came with the pen, and the pen itself...

post-2760-0-33773500-1364410346.jpg

post-2760-0-03603900-1364410433.jpg

Thanks for your assistance!

One suggestion might be to try contacting Diplomat in Germany and/or Platinum in Japan - I'm pretty sure their customer service has someone w/English knowledge and they might be able to point you in the right direction with regards to finding a replacement or cartridges that work.

You have no idea the rabbit hole I went down trying to get info from Tiffany and Diplomat! As it turned out, Diplomat had been sold a couple of times since the mid-80s and there was no institutional memory about this model, nor about the relationship between them and Tiffany.

That "nipple" looks like it belongs on a Platinum. A Platinum converter really won't fit?

That "nipple" looks like it belongs on a Platinum. A Platinum converter really won't fit?

Oh, man. I've got egg on my face. BUT YOU MADE ME DO IT!

I bought that Platinum converter and some carts over a year ago. I'd periodically try to fit it, but there has always been a tremendous amount of resistance, as in hitting a brick wall (like no other converter in any other pen I own). I'm not one to be persnickety about my pens. I abuse them by and large, in relative terms. Your post provided me with a "what the heck" moment.

Long story short, it fits. I decided to ignore all internal warnings and just jam it in as best I could. Twist it... and it gave. It fits and there isn't any damage to the feed. I'm still positive that the diameter of the converter's opening is more than a smidge too narrow, but now it fits with only slight resistance.

Thank you, Readymade.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to zombify this thread, but I remember it from looking a while back and wanted to contribute a few pics comparing the (light) Briar 3776 and the Tiffany Diplomat. The body shapes are similar at the main parts, the wood is also similar. The nibs, which I failed to photograph, are very similar and were obviously made by the same manufacturer.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/0hp1O5.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/TCl700.jpg

Edited by mhphoto

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Here are some more comparison shots:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/FBvdkZ.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/537/aRwypy.jpg

The nibs looking alike doesn't surprise me since there are only three major manufacturers and most of the popular pen makers utilize one or the other.

Diplomat:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/913/3JdkHX.jpg

3776:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/BkbSKE.jpg

And here's the 3776 cap fitting perfectly onto the Diplomat's body.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/661/Ei0QRV.jpg

There's a connection between these two pens, methinks…

Edited by mhphoto

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• 5 years later...

Thank you. I just received one of these Tiffany/Diplomat as a gift and of course I came to TPN for info... 

It looks just like the photos above.

My question is the cap... What holds it on? Compression fitting for sure. I am not missing an extra ring on the outside. All i am seeing right now is the plastic nib protector part and what could be (like my montblanc) a flattened mettle piece along the wall with one groove like cutout... would that need to be shimmed or something???

Inside the cap is the cap liner (maybe what you termed the 'plastic nib protector part') that has a profile that snap-fits onto the lowest portion of the pen section. There is not an additional ring. The metal piece helps keep the cap liner in place. It is a flat piece rolled to fit inside the cap and slotted to make it easier to conform to the inside of the cap.

If you pen fits into the cap snugly you're in good shape.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club