• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strombomboli

• The Good Captain

• torstar

• mirosc

They’ve made some slight changes to the weight of the paper, and the ruling is slightly wider in the latest edition.

I’ve had one of the pocket ones for about six months and I haven’t started it yet, but that has more to do with finishing the notebook I’m using than anything I’d call pathological. Four years suggests you either have a huge backlog of paper or you should put a big, inky fingerprint on the first page, just to break the spell.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I have a small Hobonichi, a bunch of Field Notes, and so on. But, my favorites are two small Allan journals. One I use for anything and everything, including "trying" to sketch. I even use a fude pen with no problem. The other is supposed to be for my travels (oh, well).

Anyway, I called the place in Richmond, Virginia, they are out and not sure when they'll have more-most likely not anytime soon.

I ordered two of the large ones from the UK. They are out of the small ones.

FWIW.

Best regards,

George

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

• 3 weeks later...

I finally started on the journal, and I find a big upside and a big downside...two, if you add the morality thing. I just say that “the Devil can quote Scripture to his purpose.”

The feel of the journal is wonderful. I love the size; I love the quality; it’s an exquisite thing to hold. The gilt edges are beautiful, and the paper is lovely to write on.

However...

It bleeds. Like a stuck pig. I don’t use especially wet inks but it shows through if I put the least bit of pressure on the pen. It’s a drag, but I probably won’t buy another one.

I just ordered a large one from the UK - hope it’s what people say it is - wonderful!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I received my new journal in yesterday's mail. It is a beautifully bound book and I am looking forward to using is as a journal. I tried my new Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age (f) with Akkerman #24 in it and that didn't work, too much ink. So I switched to my Kaweco Sport (f) with Sailor Bungubox 88 and it's a perfect fit. I guess that I would recommend dryer ink/pen combinations in this journal.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are out of stock right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I have a small Hobonichi, a bunch of Field Notes, and so on. But, my favorites are two small Allan journals. One I use for anything and everything, including "trying" to sketch. I even use a fude pen with no problem. The other is supposed to be for my travels (oh, well).

Anyway, I called the place in Richmond, Virginia, they are out and not sure when they'll have more-most likely not anytime soon.

I ordered two of the large ones from the UK. They are out of the small ones.

FWIW.

Best regards,

George

Hi Folks,

I couldn't resist. Yep, UK now has the smaller journals. Yes, they are on the way. They are slightly smaller than the small ones I now have. Also, they are no longer printing Journal on the front.

The seller in Richmond has another brand of journal...not the Allan.

Sin, hope you are enjoying your journal.

Best regards,

George

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

Here's an alternative I haven't ordered one as yet, but plan to do so in August.

Oh, how I wish, this was an alternative! But the pages are not blank at all, they have a grid pattern and a calendar on top of every page, or so it seems (so that you don't have to write the date yourself; that's more help than anybody could wish for).

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Oh, how I wish, this was an alternative! But the pages are not blank at all, they have a grid pattern and a calendar on top of every page, or so it seems (so that you don't have to write the date yourself; that's more help than anybody could wish for).

The grid is very feint. Having written on the page I find it disappears. The calendar font is so tiny and feint that I find it easy to ignore.

There is no doubt that the Allan's is far more attractive. However the page count and cost of the Choosing Keeping product better suit my humble budget. Perhaps when I've filled the 365 pages ......

Add lightness and simplicate.

The grid is very feint. Having written on the page I find it disappears. The calendar font is so tiny and feint that I find it easy to ignore.

That's good to know. How do your pens fare on the paper?

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

That's good to know. How do your pens fare on the paper?

Slightly wider than on Clairefontaine with subtler shading

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 4 years later...

I just started one of these, ordered from the UK some months ago, and find that wetter inks/nibs will bleed. Probably should have read this thread before taking the plunge. Definitely for use with fine nibs and polite inks, not something to show off shading or other decadent ink qualities.

Have they changed the paper then?

I use a Drawing/Mapping nib in mine, which is amazingly flexible and produces a lot of swells in my writing - as yet I have not had a problem with bleeding through - I am using Kuretake or Walkers Iron Gll ink