• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pterodactylus

• CloaknDagr

• Sinistral1

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. This looks like just the ticket for me. I don’t need the other half of the fun, LOL. I get my fun teaching my students.

Thank you for this info. Seems to be just what this neophyte FP userneeded.

Now, what is “EF” something or other effect?

• 2 months later...

Kevin over at the Fountain Pen Revolution (FPR) has announced his "Ultra Flex" nibs for sale. He says the nib design was inspired by the EMF thread right here on the FPN :D The announcement says:

Here's the announcement link:

https://fprevolutionusa.com/blogs/news/manually-adjusted-ultra-flex-nibs

Kevin sells matching Ebonite feeds to go with these new flex nibs. Here's just one example:

* FPR #6 Ultra Flex Nib and 6.3mm Ebonite Flex Feed Combo $20.00

https://fprevolutionusa.com/collections/fpr-nibs/products/fpr-6-ultra-flex-nib-and-6-3mm-ebonite-flex-feed-combo

6_tt_ultra_combo_1024x1024.jpg?v=1534352

[Yep, those remind me of the nib and feed from a Noodler's Ahab or Konrad. So that's one place to plug 'em in.]

Of-course you can order one of Kevin's FPR pens ready to go with an Ultra Flex nib and Ebonite feed. I welcome these new nib and feed combos. Now anyone can experience the "EMF Effect" without having to do any filing or grinding. But they miss out on half the fun ;)

They go thru all that and they can't even mention Pterodactylus' name or link (directly to this thread)? Just be like take the idea, and just vaguely mention the name and roughly where the idea was from, but take all the effort to copy the design.

Edited by KBeezie

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

today in the afternoon I browsed through some threads on FPN.

There I saw a picture of a modified TWSBI 540 nib done by Pendelton Brown to give them some flex.

I thougt this looks interesting.

In the evening when I heated up my Sauna (takes about 30 Minutes) the nib modification I saw came into my mind again.

This inspired me to do a nib Mod for the Ahab.

I call it the "Ahab - Ease my flex Mod".

So during my Sauna heated up I did the following.

22555591654_0e7cc4bcc9_o.jpgAhab_Ease_My_Flex_Mod by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

I took the nib out of the pen, marked the orange area in the drawing above with a permanent marker and went to my workbench.

There I mounted a round grinding stone to my Dremel and grinded out the marked area.

22790664307_d2239a9b26_o.jpgDremel_meets_Ahab by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

Just put it on a block of wood and held it with my fingers (not mounting it to a bench vice as i did not wanted to apply pressure to the nib).

It´s not difficult, to do both sides took me about 10 Minutes.

Just try to do both sides symetrically.

I think everybody which have a little bit craftsmanship and a Dremel can do this Mod.

23184094415_0420c104fa_o.jpgAhab_Ease_My_Flex_Mod_1 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

The transformation regarding the force needed to flex the Ahab was stunning.

I took away about 2,5 mm in height (deepest point).

When I measure right across the nib from deepest point on the one side to deepest point of the other side the width left is 6,5 mm.

Now the Ahab is with respect to the force needed to flex about on the level of my 50s semi flex nibs (a little bit easier to flex than my Pelikan 400 NN).

I

Thank you Ptero for this interesting mod. I am about to try it on an Ahab type nib, but I pale at the idea of holding the nib in my hand while using a Dremel. I have thought of mounting the nib on a brass tube held by a hose clip, as shown here:

post-135398-0-92937000-1575632093_thumb.jpeg

I can then mount it on a vice. I think the size of the tube prevents distortion to the nib.

however I have not yet attempted the modification, still reading up all the information I can on the best angel wings shape.

Regards

Dupontdelamare

You might want to hold it anyway -- since you'll be able to feel the nib getting warm from the heat of the grinding and will know when to pause and cool it off.