Noodler´s Ahab - Ease My Flex Mod

Pterodactylus

That doesn't mean there's something wrong with it, it does what it's meant to do

Not if it takes serious modifications to get it to flex it doesn't.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pterodactylus

• CloaknDagr

• Sinistral1

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, there's not "something wrong" with this pen, at least not inherently wrong. It's an enthusiast's tinkering platform and these 18 pages are about enthusiasts tinkering with the pen, non-enthusiasts having expectations both realistic and unrealistic, and general commentary on a pen that is meant to be worked on by it's owner.

Meant to be worked on by it is owner? Having interpreted your statement, I'm left wondering how buyers are supposed to know that. It's marketed as a flex pen but it doesn't flex, I'd call that "something wrong." Correcting the deficiencies of a pen is not the definition of an enthusiast any more than an unwillingness to do so defines a non-enthusiast.

James

Not if it takes serious modifications to get it to flex it doesn't.

(Shrug) It's a matter of degrees, personal preferences and expectations. If you're expecting a #6 spring steel nib to do the flexy wet noodle thing that an antique #2 gold flex nib will do ... that's not happening.

Do you own an Ahab? What amount of "flex" would you consider sufficient? Are you able to describe that amount of flex that would make you happy in a forum like this one? There ARE many people who own this pen, have not modded it and are happy with the degree of flex they're getting. For the rest of us there's more work to do ...

Does it flex right out of the box? Yes, it does something that can be called "flex" so that's not untrue. I tried mine out in the store before I bought it and it flexed as well as I expected an un-adjusted stock dipped nib of this kind to flex. It just doesn't flex as well as I and many others would like it to, hence the value of this discussion on the EMF modification.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not defending the Ahab, it doesn't impress me even with the EMF mod. I won't ever buy another Ahab and my experience with my Ahab makes me very leery of buying a Konrad because they have the same nib. The Ahab comes with two nibs, the flex nib and a regular Noodlers nib, so obviously the designer and seller (Nathan Tardiff) meant for it to be used either way. The pen has an ebonite feed rather than a molded plastic feed, the feed and nib are adjustable in relation to each other, the pen was clearly designed to tinker with. It will flex a little with the application of effort and skill the way it comes from the box. Whether or not that flex is something that will make you persoanlly happy is a purely subjective discussion. Objectively there's nothing wrong with the pen.

So no, there's nothing inherently wrong with the pen, it's just that if you WANT a pen with a seriously flexy nib you're you're going to have to improve this one. If you don't own one then you have no clue of the degree that a stock nib flexes nor what this EMF mod will accomplish. So If you're looking for a serious, fair discussion of this pen with this mod you need to read this thread before buying that pen. Or be prepared to tinker with it like I did because I stumbled across this mod after I had bought an Ahab.. But if you don't own one then you don't have any skin in this game. That makes your criticisms invalid and your evaluations pure speculation, but it doesn't mean there's something wrong with this pen.

My Ahab wrote out of the box. So did my (original) Noodler's regular ol' pen...the little skinny model. Did I dodge a bullet? It must be admitted that sometimes I want to smack the little one around.

But I can't really flex either. Too much pressure required of my already sore hands.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Meant to be worked on by it is owner? Having interpreted your statement, I'm left wondering how buyers are supposed to know that. It's marketed as a flex pen but it doesn't flex, I'd call that "something wrong." Correcting the deficiencies of a pen is not the definition of an enthusiast any more than an unwillingness to do so defines a non-enthusiast.

Do you own one? Are you personally aware of the degree the stock pen will or will not flex? If so then you're aware that it does flex, just not easily or naturally. You CAN make a nice variable line with the pen the way it comes stock. If you use the right ink ... if you use the right paper ... if you use the right method of writing ... all of which apply to some degree with any fountain pen. It just takes effort and concentration to do that. It takes less effort and concentration with the EMF mod but as far as I'm concerned it still isn't any fun to write with this pen. That's not "correcting deficiencies" that is personal subjective opinion. The pen is only "deficient" if your expectations are unrealistic. Because the pen can be made to flex write right out of the box or else THAT would be a deficiency. Read what I've said about it on the previous page.

Or argue, I don't really care what you think. I'm just trying to present a fair and accurate picture for people so that "a buyer is aware" like you point out. If you're not "aware" then it's not due to lack of effort on my part and the part of many other people. I was "aware" before I bought my Ahab because the nice lady in the local shop that sold it to me told me all about it and had me try it out before she would sell it to me.

Edited by CloaknDagr

There's no reason I'm aware of that you can't use this mod on a Nib Creaper also.

No reason at all - it's marginally more finicky to do, simply because it's a smaller nib, but it works just fine.

(Shrug) It's a matter of degrees, personal preferences and expectations. If you're expecting a #6 spring steel nib to do the flexy wet noodle thing that an antique #2 gold flex nib will do ... that's not happening.

Do you own an Ahab? What amount of "flex" would you consider sufficient? Are you able to describe that amount of flex that would make you happy in a forum like this one? There ARE many people who own this pen, have not modded it and are happy with the degree of flex they're getting. For the rest of us there's more work to do ...

Does it flex right out of the box? Yes, it does something that can be called "flex" so that's not untrue. I tried mine out in the store before I bought it and it flexed as well as I expected an un-adjusted stock dipped nib of this kind to flex. It just doesn't flex as well as I and many others would like it to, hence the value of this discussion on the EMF modification.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not defending the Ahab, it doesn't impress me even with the EMF mod. I won't ever buy another Ahab and my experience with my Ahab makes me very leery of buying a Konrad because they have the same nib. The Ahab comes with two nibs, the flex nib and a regular Noodlers nib, so obviously the designer and seller (Nathan Tardiff) meant for it to be used either way. The pen has an ebonite feed rather than a molded plastic feed, the feed and nib are adjustable in relation to each other, the pen was clearly designed to tinker with. It will flex a little with the application of effort and skill the way it comes from the box. Whether or not that flex is something that will make you persoanlly happy is a purely subjective discussion. Objectively there's nothing wrong with the pen.

So no, there's nothing inherently wrong with the pen, it's just that if you WANT a pen with a seriously flexy nib you're you're going to have to improve this one. If you don't own one then you have no clue of the degree that a stock nib flexes nor what this EMF mod will accomplish. So If you're looking for a serious, fair discussion of this pen with this mod you need to read this thread before buying that pen. Or be prepared to tinker with it like I did because I stumbled across this mod after I had bought an Ahab.. But if you don't own one then you don't have any skin in this game. That makes your criticisms invalid and your evaluations pure speculation, but it doesn't mean there's something wrong with this pen.

As a matter of fact I do own an Ahab. I also own a couple of Konrads, and you're very correct to be leery of that one.

My main issue, if it isn't clear to you, is that most of the modifications people describe to render Noodlers pens flexier (or in some cases, vaguely functional) tend to go beyond mere "tinkering" and into major surgery.

Do you own one? Are you personally aware of the degree the stock pen will or will not flex?

This question crosses the line into accusation, which is a sure way to degrade a discussion into pointless bickering, and therefore a strong cue to disengage. Despite this, I will answer your question. No, I don't own one. Oblivious of any mention of the need for modification in Noodler's advertising and thus having found its performance disappointing, I gave the one I bought to another FPN member who was interested in it for experimentation. I am aware of the force required to make the nib flex (and I suppose that, by definition, my awareness is personal - is there any other kind?).

Or argue, I don't really care what you think.

What a coincidence and a refreshingly healthy attitude. It would be cause for concern if you did.

I'll now take heed of that cue.

James

I'm sorry to see this thread morph into a Noodler's Bash. It started with a very fine mod pioneered/invented by Pterodactylus. Can we please stick to comments and questions about the EMF Mod? There are plenty of other places on FPN where you can vent at Noodlers.

I'm sorry to see this thread morph into a Noodler's Bash.

Do you think that would have happened if the posters who were underwhelmed by the Ahab or otherwise didn't think it was worth the additional effort the modification involves had been allowed to have their say and were then ignored?

I'm sorry to see this thread morph into a Noodler's Bash. It started with a very fine mod pioneered/invented by Pterodactylus. Can we please stick to comments and questions about the EMF Mod? There are plenty of other places on FPN where you can vent at Noodlers.

Agreed, I was merely trying to counter that bashing with reasonable, fair assessment of the pen after the EMF mod had been applied to it.

Though it's interesting how diverse the attitudes are towards this particular pen. The EMF mod helps the pen a great deal, and I still don't really like the pen much, yet I find myself defending it even so because of all the bashing that I don't consider to be justified.

If you have an Ahab and you want it to flex better than it does out of the box, the EMF mod is a serious improvement. Doing the EMF mod to an Ahab is well worth the time and effort. For some people the resulting writing experience is what they're looking for and for some people it's not.

Do you think that would have happened if the posters who were underwhelmed by the Ahab or otherwise didn't think it was worth the additional effort the modification involves had been allowed to have their say and were then ignored?

I've had my say several times, and except for the first time (before I had EMF modded my Ahab) my say is that the pen underwhelmed me every time I've said anything about it. The EMF mod improves the pen, it doesn't improve it enough to suit me. Doing the EMF mod was worth it to me because I enjoyed doing it, not because the result after the pen had been modified was particularly pleasing, it wasn't.

I don't see where anyone has been denied having their say, so I'm afraid I don't get that part of your comment.

It appears to me that a lot of people are not happy with the Ahab, I'm one of them. As a flex nibbed pen it's a clunky, hard to use, inelegant writing instrument. It can be made to lay a variable line but it's not worth the effort it takes to force it to do that -- to me. If you go all the way back to my first post on this topic you'll see I was very optimistic that the Ahab could be gotten where I wanted it to be with the EMF mod. That didn't happen, it's never going to be there because it's not capable of writing the way I want it to.

But the pen is not broken, it's not junk, it's not "poor quality control" or any of the other things I've seen people say about it in here. If you don't insist on an elegant, flex nib writer there's nothing elemental wrong with it at all. It will flex with care and effort, so it is a flex nibbed pen and Noodlers isn't misrepresenting it in that regard. It's just that the pen even when modified is completely uninspiring and unimpressive to me.

A lot of people have had this same experience both with and without the EMF mod. It's not hard to see how people would get disgusted with this pen. I'm not disgusted with it and I sure as heck am not impressed with it, all I'm trying to do is be fair and reasonable about it. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the pen; it feeds ink, it lays ink, it holds a lot of ink, as a pen it writes well enough and the stock, unmodified pen is capable of laying a variable line with a stiff but flexible nib that takes considerable effort.

The EMF modification does in fact "Ease My Flex" but the flex writing aspect of this pen is still pretty unimpressive.

That's why I'm considering getting a Nib Creaper and trying this mod on that pen. It's a smaller nib, in fact it's the same size nib (#2) as the nib on my Waterman which is a "wet noodle". It may turn out to be a better flexer than the Ahab but then pretty much anything would be an improvement. I've heard and read a lot of complaints about the Nib Creaper (unmodified) also, so I haven't decided to go ahead and get one for a winter project yet. A lot of that depends not on the pen but the weather. If our nice weather holds where I live I'm a lot more interested in fishing than I am in dinking around with another Noodler's pen.

Edited by CloaknDagr

The nib creaper is a much better pen than the Ahab. Of all the Noodler's pens I've acquired, it's the only that worked properly out of the box. Getting it to flex without having to lean on it harder than an awl would seem a lot more worthwhile than wasting the same effort on an ahab.

The nib creaper is a much better pen than the Ahab. Of all the Noodler's pens I've acquired, it's the only that worked properly out of the box. Getting it to flex without having to lean on it harder than an awl would seem a lot more worthwhile than wasting the same effort on an ahab.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I'm still on my quest for an Every Day Carry (EDC) flex nibbed pen, like I said I don't carry my heirlooms around because, well, they're heirlooms. EDC for me can mean anything from a leather pen case safely tucked into my briefcase to the pocket of a flannel shirt while fishing or hunting. I don't want to reach for my pen and find it's gone but when that happens it's a lot less disturbing if it's a $16 pen.

Do you know if there are spare/replacement nibs and feeds available for the Nib Creaper? Or if I bung up the attempt to EMF one, is it toast?

I'm still on my quest for an Every Day Carry (EDC) flex nibbed pen, like I said I don't carry my heirlooms around because, well, they're heirlooms. EDC for me can mean anything from a leather pen case safely tucked into my briefcase to the pocket of a flannel shirt while fishing or hunting. I don't want to reach for my pen and find it's gone but when that happens it's a lot less disturbing if it's a $16 pen.

Do you know if there are spare/replacement nibs and feeds available for the Nib Creaper? Or if I bung up the attempt to EMF one, is it toast?

I think the Nib Creaper is the only one that has no separate nibs/feeds available. With any of the FPR pens you can buy extra nibs and feeds, and with the Ahab and Konrad I believe you can do the same, though I'm not sure about spare feeds.

I think the Nib Creaper is the only one that has no separate nibs/feeds available. With any of the FPR pens you can buy extra nibs and feeds, and with the Ahab and Konrad I believe you can do the same, though I'm not sure about spare feeds.

A simple Web search shows there are spare Noodler's nibs available for the Nib Creaper, but there are no spare feeds. Example - Creaper replacement nib, $4.50 each:

http://www.gouletpens.com/noodlers-nib-creaper-flex-replacement-steel-nib/p/N18090

In-contrast the Ahab/Konrad pens have both replacement nibs and feeds. Also the replacement nibs are available in flex and non-flex. Note however, the Ahab/Konrads go in and out of stock regularly. If you can find the feeds, buy more than one.

Replacement #5 and #6 nibs and Ebonite feeds and are available from Kevin at FPR in India. The #6 nibs and feeds drop into the Ahab/Konrad pens, but will likely be too wet when it comes to flow (especially if you eyedropper fill). IMO you are better off with the Noodler's feeds so you can cut them as needed to adjust flow. I'm not sure if the smaller #5 FPR nibs will fit the Nib Creaper pens.

One more note: I disagree that the Nib Creaper is a better pen than either the Ahab or Konrad, especially if the latter pens have the EMF mod. (Yes I own both type pens.) While both pen types are not of stellar quality, the Nib Creaper is just worse when it comes to quality - and the price reflects that somewhat. As for the writing experience, I prefer the Ahab/Konrad and no - I don't feel like I need significantly more pressure to get the Ahab/Konrad to flex compared with the Creaper.

Edited by Drone

Dear members, this topic is gradually gaining a level of unpleasantness that if persisting will force the moderators to lock or hide this topic.

I would suggest participants to re-read their entries and edit out unpleasant remarks. That would be better than if a moderator would be forced to dos so.

It is allowed to disagree, it is not to do so by attacking other members, EVEN if you had the feeling you were attacked before. If you feel attacked the only legitimate action is to report the post. The moderators will then decide if they find if that warrants action.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I think it's a standard #5, although the cap is too short to fit the one vintage #5 flex I have to hand.

Drone: I wasn't saying that the nib creaper requires less force to "flex" than the ahab or konrad, just that it's more reliable in other ways. The filling mechanism on mine has never frozen on me (though, as that isn't removable like the ones on the konrad or ahab, it'd be trouble if it did), the cap forms a good enough seal that I can put the pen down then pick it up again days later without having to spend a quarter of an hour messing about with it to get the ink flowing, and neither the viewing windows nor any other part of the pen's mechanism leaks. If the nib creaper has its own set of issues which I've managed to dodge, that's a bit depressing. Shouldn't really come as a surprise though, I suppose.

The Nib Creaper was, as I understand it, designed, amongst other things, to accept vintage #2 nibs. #5s don't fit as far as I can recall, but Kaweco nibs will. A Creaper with a Kaweco Double Broad is pretty good fun if you like your ink to flow!