Noodler´s Ahab - Ease My Flex Mod

Pterodactylus

Hey Guys,

Did the mod a couple weeks ago. So far, I have to say it's working like a charm. The tines seem to be slightly more spread out right now, but that's only if you examine with a jeweler's loop. Here's a video tutorial I posted right after I did it.

P.S. I hope it is ok to link outside of the forums. Please let me know if it isn't.

Thank you for the video. It gave me a better visual of Pterodactylus' mod. Can't wait to try it on my Noodler's Creaper. (Well, when I find my Dremel.)

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pterodactylus

• CloaknDagr

• Sinistral1

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just managed to perform the "Ease my flex mod" for Noodler's nibs and I still can't believe my eyes (and hand muscles :)) ) The flex experience just turned from a gym exercise into a joyful ride. Pray excuse the horrendous quality of the picture, my poor phone's camera is less apt than most out there.

Thank you Pterodactylus for sharing this with us!

10314013_788393191179864_381805900783620

10320394_788393504513166_791624552599585
Edited by dragos.mocanu

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Just purchased my Ahab last week and finally going to get around to the EMF mod this week. Have some other issues with the pen, but that is something I'll have to work out another time.

BTW, my clear Ahab as a purple tinge to it when under flourescent light or in front of the computer monitor. Under daylight, it appears clear. Anyone else have this issue with the clear Ahab?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Pterodactylus for sharing this with us! I finally got around to executing this mod myself. I used a strip of sandpaper held against a wooden dowel (a dip nib holder in this case) and sanded both sides at the same time.

I do not do such permanent mods on parts that cannot be replaced, so I am using FPR nibs on a Nib Creaper. Currently I must have the nib farther out than it should because if I push the FPR nib in further the pinching at the back of the nib spreads the tines which causes there to be no flow. This increased distance and the spreading of the tines is a large part of my railroading. Once I mod another FPR nib to [hopefully] be even more flexy, I will heat set the section to the FPR nibs. What will hopefully resolve tine-spread issue.

Obligatory scan and photos:

post-108620-0-00520400-1403492483_thumb.jpg

All the smudging is from my hand

post-108620-0-36013400-1403492475_thumb.jpg

post-108620-0-76455200-1403492472_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pterodactylus for sharing this with us! I finally got around to executing this mod myself. I used a strip of sandpaper held against a wooden dowel (a dip nib holder in this case) and sanded both sides at the same time.

I do not do such permanent mods on parts that cannot be replaced, so I am using FPR nibs on a Nib Creaper. Currently I must have the nib farther out than it should because if I push the FPR nib in further the pinching at the back of the nib spreads the tines which causes there to be no flow. This increased distance and the spreading of the tines is a large part of my railroading. Once I mod another FPR nib to [hopefully] be even more flexy, I will heat set the section to the FPR nibs. What will hopefully resolve tine-spread issue.

Obligatory scan and photos:

attachicon.gifscan0001_resaved.jpg

All the smudging is from my hand

attachicon.gifDSCF2480_cropped.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2479_cropped.JPG

Worry not about being a lefty and is the first time doing a true flex I'm also a lefty but got into practicing the underwriting method it works for me

PS what grit did you use for the sandpaper I have 1000 grit here and I think thats a bit too smooth for grinding a section

PS what grit did you use for the sandpaper I have 1000 grit here and I think thats a bit too smooth for grinding a section

Just what I could find already around. From the backs, that was 3M Wetordry Tri-M-ite 400 and 3M Aluminum Oxide Resin Coat 150 fine. The 150 certainly was the wrong type of sand paper but it went faster so so I used it more heavily and finished with the 400.

Correction: it wasn't the 150. The one I used in addition to the Wetordry reads: 3M 230N PRODUCTAION Paper C wt. Open Coat.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine never worked from the get go. I did the emf mod and it really flexes if I dry test it, but it never really inked up well. Never got ink to run through the feed. I gave up on that pen long ago and it's not worth another go at it.

Mine never worked from the get go. I did the emf mod and it really flexes if I dry test it, but it never really inked up well. Never got ink to run through the feed. I gave up on that pen long ago and it's not worth another go at it.

have you tried modifying the ebonite feed if not heat set it?

yeah, I tried everything under the sun. I must be doing something wrong. But it's not worth my time troubleshooting it.

"But it's not worth my time troubleshooting it."

1. Each of us is the *only* judge of what's worth our time. It's your hobby, and you can do as much, or as little, or as medium, as you please.

2. Debugging something can be fun or frustrating (often both, for me). I've learned so much debugging my pens that I don't feel the time has been wasted. I like to learn new stuff. But that's a personal decision. I have full sympathy (not that it's needed, see line 1) for anyone who expects something to work out of the box and is disappointed/angry/etc.

3. Sometimes, for me, I have to set aside a debugging project for a while, and come back to it later. Usually this is because I become frustrated and angry. HOWEVER, "Setting aside" is actually a winning strategy - if you set something aside, your non-verbal right brain will continue to work on the problem in the background. One morning you will wake up with a new idea "out of nowhere" on a possible solution. This is the source of the "Ah Ha!" moments we've all experienced at one time or another. So, be aware that you might have an ah-ha solution, if you give yourself the opportunity.

--------------

I added some cleaning advice to I like Mango Cheesecake's thread, hope it helps.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266707-noodlers-ahab-dries-up-after-writing-just-one-sentence/?do=findComment&comment=2993401

Edited by Brooks MT

Well, I guess that's that then.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Cannot wait to try this on one of my spare Jinhao nibs. They have responded very well to my efforts to reduce them from an M to an EF and if it fails, I am out a whopping $1.

Thanks for this effort.

All here has been great. I think I will have to get the dremel point, I have the tool except the point. Worth trying!

This has my experience so far with "flex" pens. I cannot write in a 'flexy" manner, though I can make the sinuous "S" . On Zoom you can see some flex in some letters, that is all. And the saddest thing is letters get better with decreasing cost of the pen. what's wrong with this picture? What is wrong is that $300 worth of pens do not write better flex than a $15 old Osmiroid. I have bought several pens that were advertised as flex and they don't produce any flex other than an old Osmiroid can.

Any suggestions? I will try to do the mod to my Ahab which I put aside because Icouldn't handle it not also producing any significant flex style writing.

See Osmiroid nib which truly flexes but not enough either.

Edited by Oldtimer

is flex intended only on bigger than normal writing letters? It seems = to me- that the effect is lost in small letters. Am I correct?

OMG

I can no longer use my Ahab for everyday writing AWESOME

good thing my mother bought another dremel kit that my brother lost :X

There...now you must admit that's better, right? I was ASTOUNDED at how much better it was and I did it on a TWSBI 580 which I thought was a nail and it's not a flex pen BUT it is as sweet as the old Bock 540 nib. This is a very useful mod. Happy you tried it!!!

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Brooks MT said:

3. Sometimes, for me, I have to set aside a debugging project for a while, and come back to it later. Usually this is because I become frustrated and angry. HOWEVER, "Setting aside" is actually a winning strategy - if you set something aside, your non-verbal right brain will continue to work on the problem in the background. One morning you will wake up with a new idea "out of nowhere" on a possible solution. This is the source of the "Ah Ha!" moments we've all experienced at one time or another. So, be aware that you might have an ah-ha solution, if you give yourself the opportunity.

How very true! That is why I take showers, it allows the brain to work on problems in the privacy of your own boudoir which would not be allowed in the "real world".

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg