Montblanc 32S

amantadine

I just received my MB 32S this morning - unlike other reviews that I've read this came with a steel cap.

Anyways, here goes! I only realised when uploading that I didn't score anything!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8525/8498630652_9e0fb53221_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8497527437_68344caa62_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8497527411_fc994b2e50_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8497527379_a9223d9b6e_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8498630604_f79b5c037f_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8498630632_f166b4b7f3_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8498630588_90f555ddd8_o.jpg

And now for the scores:

Appearance and Design: 9/10

Construction and Quality: 9/10

Dimensions: 7/10

Nib and Performance: 8/10

Filling System and Maintenance: 10/10 (I love piston fillers!)

Cost and Value: 7/10

Conclusion: 50/60

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8497527507_b7d610401f_o.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amantadine

• paolino_paperino

• tandaina

• pavoni

Congratulations on your nice pen.

It's an interesting specimen to my noob eyes. I didn't know 32 came with slip-on metal caps and ink windows similar to those of 22s and 12s. Now I have a new target for my fleaBay hunting...

Very nice!

The piston should turn smoothly, it may need to be worked on or might just need to be lubricated.

I think you may be right about lubrication - I have some silicone grease somewhere - does the piston remove easily? Do you know if it's case of simply continuing to unscrew?

Very nice!

The piston should turn smoothly, it may need to be worked on or might just need to be lubricated.

I think you may be right about lubrication - I have some silicone grease somewhere - does the piston remove easily? Do you know if it's case of simply continuing to unscrew?

If it's a standard 32 the piston pulls out, but it's a very tight fit that requires a lot of force with a high risk of breakage. MB technicians had a gizmo that helped in pulling out the piston.

Edited by paolino_paperino

Sorry don't have that pen so no idea how you get to it to lubricate. Might be easiest to use an ink like Noodler's Blue Eel (something) which is a lubricating ink? But I'm sure someone knows how to get into it!

Sorry don't have that pen so no idea how you get to it to lubricate. Might be easiest to use an ink like Noodler's Blue Eel (something) which is a lubricating ink? But I'm sure someone knows how to get into it!

If you can unscrew the grip section like with a normal 32/34, you can use a tooth pick to put some silicon grease near the piston inside the barrel, and you and also use put some grease on the threads near the piston nob. That worked for my 32 and 34. This method is safer that trying to pry out the piston unit. If that does not work you should ask a professional.

Edited by Pinkys.Brain

Great review of a very nice looking pen. I really like the design of these early 60's MBs. I will echo the others and say that the piston probably needs lubricating.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I am not generally a fan of MB pens from the late 50s through to the 80s but.......your excellent hand-written review, super photos and honest appraisal of this elegant pen, have certainly forced me to rethink :hmm1: .

Congratulations on your pen amantadine, and thank you for taking the time to share your valuable thoughts with us.

Pavoni.

That is a nice looking pen and the unthreaded cap makes it even more likely that your 32 will stay in good shape during use.

With regard to the piston, it should move smoothly and it is unlikely that there is anything wrong with the mechanism or the rubber. Do not try to disassemble the piston assembly. It is a non-trivial job and it is fairly easy to crack the barrel.

Also it is definitely not necessary. Just unscrew the section by twisting it counter-clockwise. If it is unwilling, soak it in cold water and get some section pliers to hold it. Once you've done that you can simply reach into the ink reserve with a tool and lubricate it. I use a fine paint brush which I dip in lubricant.

The feed is easy to remove for cleaning. Once you've got the section detached, you can pull the nib forward and out of the section and push the feed backwards and out of the back of the section. Be careful with the fins on the feed, they can get brittle and can crack if flexed too much.

David.

If you can unscrew the grip section like with a normal 32/34, you can use a tooth pick to put some silicon grease near the piston inside the barrel, and you and also use put some grease on the threads near the piston nob. That worked for my 32 and 34. This method is safer that trying to pry out the piston unit.

A very safe and often effective solution for most pistons.

Wow! Thanks for all your help guys - lubricated the inside of the barrel and the thread near the piston - it's moving much better now!

And another thing - I gave the pen a thorough flush, nib is working much better now (I would probably score it higher now :thumbup: )

• 10 months later...

Nice pen, ink and paper combination! I've got a MB 22 and I've used MB 32 which both are magnificent writers so I thought I would like this model too. I've just ordered it and can't wait to see. Thanks for this excellent review!