The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Dissolves Silicon Grease?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Chopper88

Chopper88

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:06

The solvent to use is:  Denatured Alcohol.  AKA  Rubbing Alcohol.  It is safe on most pen materials.

No, it's not!

Alcohol attacks all sorts of plastic!

Sponsored Content

#22 aawhite

aawhite

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2013 - 21:51

Diluted dish liquid detergent.

You can easily clean a smear of silicon grease from your hand with a very small amount of dish liquid detergent and washed/rinsed off with water. Using luke warm water would be better.

Edited by aawhite, 03 August 2013 - 21:52.

I only have two pens -  an Aurora Optima and others.

#23 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 16:55

The solvent to use is:  Denatured Alcohol.  AKA  Rubbing Alcohol.  It is safe on most pen materials.

Multiple wrongnesses.

Denatured alcohol is not the same as rubbing alcohol.

Neither can remotely be described as "safe on most pen materials".

#24 Mickey

Mickey

Contemporary Philosopher

• Member - Gold

• 2,914 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2013 - 19:28

This may seem hair-brained (nothing new from me) but applying a dry, absorbent material (something for which silicon grease has a greater affinity than the surface it is on) might be a good first step before resorting to strong detergents and solvents: e.g., rubbing something like cornstarch on to the 'contaminated' surface, then brushing off the cornstarch.

I worked in garages when I was in school, and we routinely used sawdust (and sawdust mixed with various additives) to remove grease and oil from floors. Perhaps something similar might be a gentler way to go about cleaning up silicon grease than just solvents and detergents.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

#25 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2013 - 21:36

Some materials, yes it will cause damage.

Try lighter fluid if you can't find Octane or Hexanes.

How come no one ever mentions pentane in this context?

#26 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:20

What do you guys think about isopropyl? Maybe worth a try?

#27 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 15:44

What do you guys think about isopropyl? Maybe worth a try?

Isopropyl is otherwise known as "rubbing alcohol" here. It will harm celluloid and cellulose acetate, among other plastics.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Sponsored Content

|