The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2013 La Pen Show Report

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:27

Here is the 2013 LA Pen Show Report.

As a reminder, do not quote my posts in your replies because it's brutal for those with lower bandwidths. Be courteous.

The LA Pen Show is one of the favorite times of the year for me. Over the years, it has grown beyond the pens and more like a family reunion where you get to see that 'favorite aunt or uncle'. If you frequent pen shows, you develop bonds with members of the pen community and you get to catch up at the shows. This year I decided to arrive a day early. I needed some time off and last year, there were big deals getting done while I was still eating my breakfast. So this year I was determined to be there ready on Thursday morning by leaving on Wednesday.

As things work out, taking vacation rarely means I'm free from work. I had to run an errand at CalTech so that we didn't have to fly someone down to do it. I left early on Wednesday and made great time to the southland. I got to SoCal at lunch time and decided to fill up on soup dumplings at Din Tai Fung in Arcadia. I got out of the car and it was warm! The weather was absolutely perfect (low to mid 70's). After consuming delicious dumplings I headed for Cal Tech. I did a bit of work at Cal Tech and then headed off to Manhattan Beach for the show.

So we begin this year with the sun. Here's an image of the sun taken from the viewer inside the Ronald and Maxine Linde Center for Global Environmental Science.

Posted Image

On the way to the car I nearly tripped on Kip Thorne's Parking spot.
Posted Image

I made it to the hotel in perfect time to get my room and I avoided the 405 entirely. :bunny01:

My instincts about the show were correct. On Wednesday night in the lobby, I returned from dinner and pen people were already hanging and showing pens in the lobby. As it turned out, Thursday was the busiest it has been for a number of years.

On Thursday morning I got up early and had breakfast with Maxim from Artus pens. Maxim had flown directly from Moscow and was enjoying the warm weather. He had his sign right at the entrance to the main hall.

Posted Image

At around 8:00 am, there were quite a few people beginning set-up.
Posted Image

Posted Image

A number of people were already selling
Posted Image

Posted Image

The Anderson's came for the first time to the LA Show. This meant there was actually ink at the show on Thursday. They drove many hours but brought a lot of merchandise.
Posted Image

Syd arrived early to set-up for the launch of the newly reformed Wahl-Eversharp company.

Here's the W-E banner
Posted Image

Here's Syd and his partner talking to Farmboy.
Posted Image

So here are some of the pens. When I took this, the pens were still in the cases. I'll have more pics later in the report. These are the final productions. I saw some prototypes during the SF Pen Show last October.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are the pen boxes for the editions with classic cars.
Posted Image

Here are the pens and cars.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I asked Syd about the 'ceramic nibs'. So these nibs are steel nibs that have been gold plated and then had a ceramic coating applied over that. Syd gave me a pen to try and it was very smooth and wrote very well. The price points are more than reasonable and the pens themselves are very well made. They are a high quality product. Since it was early, I left Syd to finish setting up. I'll have more to say later.

Syd's W-E shirt.
Posted Image

I left Sys and headed over to talk to Bob Novak. As soon as I entered the room, Todd told me that Bob was looking for me. So I went to chat with Bob and looked at some of his pens. For those who don't know Bob, he's a dealer who specializes in high end vintage pens.

Examples of Bob's wares.
Posted Image

Posted Image

One thing did catch my eye. Bob had this incredibly clean MB 246 set in a tiger's eye arco pattern. I have many vintage Italian pens in this material but had never seen it on a MB pen. I was sorely tempted even though I don't buy MB pens. The pen was mint and had the word "Schiesse" engraved in the cap. I know what you are thinking......

Posted Image

My buddy Sarj was set-up next to Bob on Thursday. It's always good to see Sarj. Besides, it was a good omen on Monday when Sarj's team West Brom beat Liverpool.
Posted Image

Sarj always has a great selection of modern and vintage pens. He is a good source for some hard to find modern European pens as well as vintage pens especially UK pens.

Spina di Pesche
Posted Image

Tibaldi Bonia
Posted Image

Some Dunns.
Posted Image

Some rare Vacs
Posted Image

A 'Ripley' Vac
Posted Image

Solid Gold Sheaffers next to the 'Ripley' Vac
Posted Image

Here are some pens Sarj sold to a person (not naming the buyer). Had the person not wanted the Conway Stewart Tiffany I would have bought that in a heartbeat. This is a mint vintage Conway Stewart Tiffany in casein.
Posted Image

Loren was looking for a Parker 51 Demonstrator so I found some. As with vintage pens of this type, one needs to have some specialized knowledge. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 17:18.

2018 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 24-26th, 2018
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Sponsored Content

#2 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:28

The outer areas were pretty much dead.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maxim and Artus pens were the only ones setup outside.

Here are the beautiful hand painted Russian pens. An equal to Japanese maki-e. I told Maxim he needs to provide information on the whole process. The technique dates back to the 12th century and the pigments used are all hand made from natural ingredients. The pens have gotten even better over the last few years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey! It's the year of the snake.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The Bolshoi Pen
Posted Image

Posted Image

As the morning wore on, things became much busier than a normal Thursday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Anderson's finished set-up in a fairly short amount of time.
Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the highlights of the show for me were the Stylo Art pens from Japan. They are not that well known and this was the second US show they had attended. The Stylo Art pens are made by Mr. Motoshi Kazuno who is a woodworker. They are from the Nagano area of Japan. They specialize in handmade wooden pens using a variety of exotic woods. The pens have that clean Japanese aesthetic and are extremely light and well made. Mr. Kazuno also tunes each nib for the customer and he is very good. The pens use either Bock nibs or Pilot nibs. I think I became his new best friend because I brought him a lot of business. :roflmho:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can always spot when someone brings new stuff into the room by the immediate swarm of people going in for the kill. Greg Minuskin brought in a huge pile of stuff to blow out and the next thing you know it's a feeding frenzy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

People on FPN always ask about parts and tools for restoring vintage pens. My advice is to go to a pen show. You will have to sort though piles of stuff to find the part. As for tools there a lot of great sources that are never mentioned on FPN.

Parts.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Supplies from Pentooling.com (Dale Beebe)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Custom tools by Stuart Hawkinson
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 17:17.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#3 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:29

Pendleton made the trip again and was busy working on pens.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Late Thursday afternoon action
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thursday was much more crowded than in years past. A fair amount of people came in on Wednesday. For the sellers it was a great day for some. Many dealers had pre-arranged sales and some of the more well heeled collectors dropped some serious cash.

Some random bits of Thursday

Plistumi (aka Marta) of thr Devil's dictionary fame.
Posted Image

Francis and his 'heirloom' Chinese inkwell. Funny story. It pays to speak English.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Leeds Levy and Lisa Anderson
Posted Image

John Strother
Posted Image

If you have been following the saga of the 'silicone' sacs, here are the new silicone sacs made by David Nishimura.
Posted Image

Gary Lehrer and Cliff Harrington
Posted Image

The gang
Posted Image

Travberg and David Nishimura
Posted Image

Susan Bowen of Pen World Magazine. Poor Susan had to endure my driving in LA traffic on Saturday night.
Posted Image

Got disco?
Posted Image

As I always said, the pen show does not end at 6 pm.

Late night pen action. At one point, there were a bunch of people piling through Richard Lott's pile of parts.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was kinda of funny because Richard had to pack everything up. He said he was there till midnight packing up the huge pile o' stuff to set it all up again on Friday.

So that was Thursday. I'll have Friday up in a bit. The report is going to be long this year.

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 17:19.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#4 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:43

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#5 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,777 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:57

Great read, thanks. Nice to see Sarj and his wares.

#6 FPFan

FPFan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,016 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:12

Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you! :notworthy1: Have been eagerly awaiting these! And more to come - Yahooooo!
Fair winds and following seas.

#7 menoeceus

menoeceus

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:41

Thanks for the photos. I missed Thursday and most of Friday.

#8 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:12

Friday

With pen shows, you do not want to sleep in because things start early.

The warm morning California sun.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Friday is usually my favorite day at the show because pretty much everyone is set-up (sans the Sunday only guys) and here's plenty to see and buy. :bunny01:

The show begins to wake up from the evening's hiatus.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Greg and his wife, Janet, talking to Richard Lott. After cleaning up till midnight from the evening parts feeding frenzy, he setup all over again Friday morning.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nibs.com arrived Thursday but didn't get set-up till late. They were up and ready Friday morning.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Detleff says hi!
Posted Image

Here are the new pen cases from Penopoly made by our very own Steve Curnow (sdcurnow).
Posted Image

Posted Image

If you work on pens, you really want a set of nice custom tools made by Stuart Hawkinson.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Brian Gray was set-up in his now traditional corner in the outer hallway.
Posted Image

Here are some of he new pneumatic fillers
Posted Image

You gotta love how neatly organized the display is.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quality control.. Brian's was checking all of the pneumatic fillers for tightness.
Posted Image

My big source for Japanese pens is Stan, the moderator of the Japan sub-forum. Here are some of the pens he brought (and sold to me :bunny01: ).
Posted Image

Posted Image

This pen has a huge nib.
Posted Image

Posted Image

A Nagaoka Hooseki pen. A pen with the sapphire tipping.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 17:21.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#9 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:13

Rick Propas arrived Thursday but did not set-up till Friday. He was not able to bring any pens from the upcoming Swann Galleries pen auction in March but did have many copies of the printed catalog.
Posted Image

Posted Image

A drafting pen set Rick was selling
Posted Image

Colorful Rhodia journals.
Posted Image

What's on the other side of the carton? Lisa and Brian looking at pens.
Posted Image

Travberg and Greg
Posted Image

The pen world can be a vicious place
Posted Image

The rare Conklins?!? aka how not to use an ultrasonic cleaner or how to dye your pens.
Posted Image

Travberg was buging me the whole time about why there are always pictures of other people but none of me. So he kept on grabbing my camera and tried to take pictures of me. My lenses are manual focus only so his shots always came out blurry. So I deleted those. :P But Mary Burke had better success.

Here I am rockin the SF Pen Posse gear.
Posted Image

BTW- here's Mary setting out boxes of the CS ink.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Penopoly always have interesting stuff.
Posted Image

The steam punks
Posted Image

Posted Image

The new Penopoly pen boxes made by Steve Curnow
Posted Image

I keep coming back to parts. I wonder why? :hmm1:
Posted Image

Posted Image

This dealer specializes in Sheaffer and Sheaffer parts. He had cases of well organized and sorted parts and assemblies for Sheaffer pens.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Another dealer had a nice set of well made alternative nib blocks.
Posted Image

Rob Lott of Five Star Pens
Posted Image

Posted Image

So you have heard of the Gang of Five Pens right? Well, I was minding my own business and ran into Farmboy and his partner in crime. Thus I became part of the Gang of Two and a Half Pens. B) I think I was the wheel man.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sam and Frank from Pendemonium set-up o Friday. It was really busy on Thursday and Friday and tables were in short supply. After a little rearrangement, they were back in their traditional location.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 17:23.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#10 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:13

Thursday and Friday were really dominated by vintage pens. There were only a handful of dealers selling modern pens. Bryant Greer had not shown up yet. (He ended up skipping Friday altogether). So I went in search of some modern pens.

Andy Lamboru set-up outside in his usual spot. He showed me some new Classic pens based on Sailor designs. These are based on the King Profit but stretched.
Posted Image

Here's a comparison between the new and old version in red and blue. The new version is longer and has a different section design.
Posted Image

Here's the blue.
Posted Image

Andy also had some Hakase pens from the 1990's for sale.
Posted Image

The blue one resembled a MB 146 too much and Hakase had to change the design.
Posted Image

S.T. Dupont came to the show. Looks like they have new US distribution and they wanted to push their marketing. We had a nice long chat. They were pretty young but eager to learn. I gave them a lesson on macro photography.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next to Brian Gray, Ryan Krusac from Atlanta came to his first LA Pen Show. Ryan does fabulous work in wood with some very nice wooden pens and wooden pen cases.
Posted Image

Bronze furniture on some of the pens. Nice!
Posted Image

Posted Image

A comparison between zebra wood turned round versus olive wood.
Posted Image

Conway Stewart were out in force with new inks and pens. Many of the new CS pens did not make it through customs in time. However, the inks and the new Marlborough series did.

CS inks in collaboration with diamine.
Posted Image

The new colored resin Marlborough pens. They are available in c/c and lever.
Posted Image

Blue enamel on silver
Posted Image

Posted Image

I love the finish on these.
Posted Image

A Lakers tribute pen. Maybe they won't suck so much now. :P
Posted Image

Stan discovered that it's better to just walk around with cases of pens to attract attention than sit at a table.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course, we all wanted to buy the pens that Stan wasn't selling. :bonk:
Posted Image

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#11 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:14

Random bits of Friday

Do you know what it is? Do you? It came from Sheaffer
Posted Image

Shu Jen from Taccia
Posted Image

The spinning wheels of death
Posted Image

Whoa! Where's Pendleton?
Posted Image

Brian Grays's looping video
Posted Image

An Edison pneumatic filer
Posted Image

Tom (aka tknectel) from the LA Posse
Posted Image

The mysterious FPN member from Santa Fe and FrankC of the Las Vegas Posse. To protect their identities, I used the blurry photos. :roflmho:
Posted Image

Bruno dropped something
Posted Image

Skyperre
Posted Image

Teri Morris
Posted Image

Osman Sumer
Posted Image

Paul Erano
Posted Image

Frank
Posted Image

Why is Ron always at Pendleton's table?
Posted Image

Mario Campa-Toys in the Attic
Posted Image

Friday night was the NorCal/SoCal Pen Posse dinner. You can find photos here. Last year, we failed to find Maxim from Artus pens after our diner. Why was that so important? Because he had the bottle of vodka he brought with him. This year, I took no chances and got Maxim's room number. After the dinner, we came back to the hotel lobby and found Maxim. Here's was the bottle of vodka.
Posted Image

It was smooth. We all had some shots. The small bottle was not really enough (especially since some of us had two shots). Fortunately FrankC brought a bottle of single malt. The real Pen Posse'in began in earnest. Other pen people stopped by as they returned from dinner and it was a blast. Mark Hoover showed me some of his collection of rare vintage French pens. He also showed us how he makes replacement casein bands for Waterman #7 pens. There were all kinds of discussions going on and all kinds of drinking going on. :roflmho: I finally went to my room around 2am.

So that's Friday. I'm off to run a few errands. I'll have Saturday and Sunday up later his evening.

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 19:19.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#12 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 00:40

Friday night was the NorCal/SoCal Pen Posse dinner...

Is there a SoCal or L.A. Posse? I'm a relatively recent FPN member and don't recall ever seeing a posse called...
Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

#13 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:12

Saturday

Saturday is normally a very active day. Thursday and Friday had been very active with plenty of traffic. However, this year the traffic on Saturday was pretty slow. Maybe it was the warm weather. I'm actually a little light on Saturday pictures. I was busy looking for pens and helping (enabling) a few people to pens.

The scene of the crime?
Posted Image

Bryant Greer (aka Evil Pen Purveyor) showed up fFriday but decided this year to only set-up Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is also the day that many of the modern companies/distributors set-up like Yafa and Kenro. Bryant always has a nice selection of modern and few choice vintage pens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bryant and I had a nice long conversation about various things. If you have been following things on the Italian forum, you know that Bryant is soliciting ideas for new special editions from various Italian companies. I gave Bryant some ideas and he shared some interesting stuff coming down the pipe. If you love vintage Italian celluloid, keep your eyes open and your wallet full. Some good stuff coming our way.

I left Bryant and wandered over to the Kenro table. They had some new stuff out and shared with me some new pens that I was allowed to unveil here.

The Montegrappa Brain pen
Posted Image

The Nettuno Docet pens. It's good that Aurora is doing something with the Nettuno brand. These actually look pretty nice in person.
Posted Image

Posted Image

They had the new Tibaldi celluloid pens but I forgot to take a picture. If you read the comments in the Italian forum then you might understand. The pens are actually surprisingly small. The clips do not look as bad in person. The material is very nice. But still......

They showed me the new revised version of the modern Milord and Paragon. The two pens are black and chased. The clip has a dark metallic coating. The big change are the dimensions of both pens. I'm not a fan of the 2005 revision of the Paragon and Milord. I think Omas has finally understood that the classic design and proportions are what the customers want. The new Milord is very close in dimension to the old style Paragon. The new Paragon is larger than the old style Paragon but the proportions are more in line with the classic Simoni design. The clip is similar to the 2005 design but it seems slightly tweaked. I like the new designs.

Posted Image

Right behind Kenro was Argent Blue, Rich Littlestone's company. They very nice silver pens.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The pens have nice mother of pearl at the top of the caps.
Posted Image

Posted Image

On my way back into the main room, I saw Mary Burke with a case full of Conway Stewart deskpens.
Posted Image

Back to the new Wahl-Eversharp

Syd and his partner
Posted Image

I came back to see some of the pens that were not there on Thursday.

The fire engine pen set.
Posted Image

The pens and the cases
Posted Image

Posted Image

Aluminum body pens
Posted Image

Laser engraved with the Hypocratic oath
Posted Image

Posted Image

My personal favorite, the carbon fiber pen.
Posted Image

I'll have more to say in the Sunday coverage since I talked to Syd at the end of the show to see how things went.

Over in the Waterman forum, Force made a cryptic post about a 'rare' pen. In response, we made some posts to prove a point. Those posts were pretty cryptic because there was no context, i.e. the pen in question was not mentioned. To complete the chain, this is the pen we were talking about. Farmboy found this in a box at the show. It pays to hunt and this is why Sunday at the show can be annoying.

It's a mint NOS Waterman Inkvue pen and pencil set with perfect transparency and the original box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 06:10.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#14 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:13

In my previous two days, I talked a bit about the tools made by Stuart Hawkinson. I ran into Stuart fixing a dent in a solid gold Parker 61 cap using his custom mandrel. This is how its done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the big finds for me was the Stylo Art pens. So I enabled several of my compatriots from the SF Pen Posse. First I got Gale to buy one. She had some problems trying to decide which pen. We had to resort to closing the eyes and randomly groping for a pen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The ATM machine only spits out up to $200. Gale had to use it twice and ended up partially paying in yen. She was carrying four different currencies.

Posted Image

Later Ether bought one too. She also had a tough time deciding because she wantd a clip but she like the wood on the remaining clipless pens. Such tough decisions. Here PJohnP holding Lisa's new pen.

Posted Image

Speaking of Gale, she just returned from Japan and lugged a bunch of stuff with her to the show. You cannot imagine what she was packing. She had some pretty cool stuff.

A new metal Elabo (aka Falcon) with a soft extra fine nib.
Posted Image

Two Pilot Prera pens with factory music nibs.
Posted Image

She also had these new Kuretake disposable brush pens that had iridescent inks. I show in the LA Pen Show Haul thread since I bought one from her. Here's what the results look like.

Posted Image

Gale proved that you can spend a lot of time just looking for parts. She needed parts so I took her to Richard Lott's table. I went to lunch with a bunch of people and came back and she was still looking for parts.
Posted Image

Random bits of Saturday

A Nakaya Negoro Nuri done in Wakakusa Iro, a color I pioneered. I'm so proud. As Lisa said, "Holy Wow!"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Michael Sull was demonstrating calligraphy. The man is a living treasure.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Windsurfer pen
Posted Image

A pre-Jotter Parker ballpoint. The Hop-a-Long Cassidy pen.
Posted Image

A cool desk pen base
Posted Image

Feeding time
Posted Image

The food.
Posted Image

A nice pipe set
Posted Image

A nice Eversharp 5th Avenue set.
Posted Image

A confab
Posted Image

Some interesting pens
Posted Image

A person with very beautiful handwriting and a friend of Roger Cromwell. He's an executive at Disney.
Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 06:13.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#15 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:14

Looking through Osman Sumer's bag of MB nibs
Posted Image

Kinda slow

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jon Szanto and his wife with Susan Wirth. Jon was wearing the bowtie to great effect

Posted Image

Like last year, several of us were invited to the Penopoly party. As I mentioned earlier, I was driving Susan Bowen from Pen World Magazine, Mary Burke and Gale. I think I nearly scared Susan to death as I navigated the LA traffic. We only missed two turnoffs and got stuck in a construction zone. In the chaos of leaving, I left my camera at the hotel, so all I have are lame iPhone pics.

Posted Image

Roger's friend was writing people's name using Spencerian script in the party favors, journals.
Posted Image

Lounging
Posted Image

Susan and Shu Jen looking at the other party favors, little bottles of St. Germain liqueur.
Posted Image

Musicians. Pendelton talking to Natalie Erskine who is the daughter of FPN member Menoceus. She is an opera singer and sang Saturday night as well as our Pen Posse at the winery a few years back.
Posted Image

Pendelton on the piano and harmonica
Posted Image

Roger and his mother, Marilyn, our gracious host.
Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 06:14.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#16 jlepens

jlepens

Humble Calligraphy Student

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:18

SoCal Posse (previously called the LA Legion)
We have all been to busy working and pitiful in calling meetings. I will do better. Meeting notice soon.

Edited by jlepens, 19 February 2013 - 03:20.

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen
Posted Image

#17 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:21

SoCal Posse (previously called the LA Legion)
We have all been to busy working and pitiful in calling meetings. I will do better. Meeting notice soon.

Yay!

One of our members is moving to LA, so I'll pass on the info.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#18 tknechtel

tknechtel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:26

Ricky, it's always a treat to relive the show afterwards with your photos. (And I always find myself saying: "Wait! What's THAT pen? How did I miss that??")

Thanks!
Tom

#19 tknechtel

tknechtel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:27

Joi, that sounds like a great idea! I'm having withdrawal after the show...

#20 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:54

Sunday

I always begin Sunday early. Check out of he room, put the luggage in the car, and get ready for the wave of destruction. Fortunately, the show provides coffee and pastries on Sunday so we can get a quick bite and get down to work.

The show staff were already in place at 7:30 am.
Posted Image

The coffee!
Posted Image

Getting ready
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The hallways were still quiet.
Posted Image

Inside, the dealers must have started way before 7 am.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Arnie unpacking his wares
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Why am I still here?
Posted Image

Michelle St. Claire who I thought a new vendor. I didn't recognize her without her cast. :P
Posted Image

Carmen and her son getting ready with Ron waiting for Roger.
Posted Image

Ryan's beautiful wooden pen boxes. I gave him sme new ideas so I hope to see some more cool exotic wood pen boxes in the future.
Posted Image

Ryan
Posted Image

A quick pen interlude. Stan brought a pen with custom maki-e work done by his friend in Canada. So I was compelled for a picture or two.
Posted Image

The pen has a vintage Platinum music nib.
Posted Image

On Sunday, FPGeeks were doing their coverage. Here they are with the Anderson's.
Posted Image

Fuzzy tops for the Penopoly pen cases.
Posted Image

Oooooo....what's in the box
Posted Image

Outside Shu Jen was setting up the taccia table.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Knives and pens go together
Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 19 February 2013 - 06:15.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Sponsored Content

|