A 2013 Edison Group Buy?

Jimmy James

2013 Edison Group Buy (non-binding)  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in buying an Edison group buy pen?

• Yes, most definitely
    • It would largely depend on the pen model and materials
    • No

As some of you may recall, we had two excellent limited editions of the Edison Pearl made as a group buy that was facilitated through this forum (but not as a project of the forum to be clear) and administrated through Goulet Pens that took form and happened after the LA Pen show last year.

Since the LA Pen show is wrapping up today, I thought today would be a perfect time to see if there is even interest in another such group buy this year. If there is, obviously Brian Gray will have to be contacted to see if it is something he is interested in and has time for. After that, an administrator would have to be chosen. The Goulets may or may not be willing to fill that role again. Essentially, it's all up in the air but an interest check would seem to be the place to start.

My blue acrylic Pearl is a fine pen, but what really has me excited about this project frankly is the other group buy Edison I own -- an ebonite Herald Grande I bought last year in the Badger & Blade group buy.

Here is a link to what was the official start of last year's process for anyone who wishes to read.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/215855-official-edison-group-buy/page__p__2265096__hl__edison__fromsearch__1#entry2265096

I'd make the following assumptions in deciding theoretical interest:

1) Not every material lends itself to this process. Last year Brian selected several materials and there was a vote.

2) Similarly, there was a vote on model including clipped or clipless.

3) The pen will likely be a bit more expensive than the $150 production model Edisons, particularly if we reach an agreement for a business to do the administration. They are certainly entitled to a fair profit.

4) The pen will be a cartridge/converter/eyedropper model non-overlay pen.

I'd guess we should let this thread go on for a week and then see if there is a nucleus of support. The only thing that would shut it down would be Brian Gray just saying for whatever reason he'd prefer not to do this right now. I love the Goulets and hope if it happens they'll come on board, but we can survive with a different administrator if necessary. Along those lines, if we have support and Brian Gray just isn't interested or available maybe we can talk some alternatives there. Can you tell I like these group buys? :)

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• Brian C

• bgray

• arkgray

Reason?

I live in Great Britain.

Would you be interested in a Conway Stewart group buy from us?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Is a CS group buy possible? :D

I haven't paid much attention to that company since determining long ago that their prices were out of my range (but since then my range has grown).

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I'm sorry but obviously my irony was slightly misunderstood. There is unlikely to be any 'group buy' of Conway Stewart pens from the UK as prices, availability and contact with the relevant people are not conducive to a satisfactory outcome.

Good luck with your Edison venture and I'm sure that there will be ample participants to make it a great undertaking.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Ah, what a shame. I still think it would be a nice idea to get something different going as a group buy. I am American, obviously, but that doesn't mean only American pens interest me. I'd also hope some of the non-Americans might be interested in an Edison.

Well, back on track. Edisons are great and I'm sure it will make a nice group buy again.

Happy to help administer it again, if Brian Gray is willing too! :thumbup:

Outstanding. The new employees were my only real worry there, Rachel!

Oh they're doing awesome! Got some more on the way too, so we can keep handling the growth (and special projects like this). :thumbup:

I would love to see something with the Mina.... LOVE that pen!

Well now that we're naming pens, I keep coming back to this one:

(If you don't want to click, it's a black ebonite with silver furniture Pearlette.)

Of course, one part of the 2012 was the exclusivity aspect -- Brian made no Pearls in 2012 in the materials he set aside for us. That might make black ebonite pretty much clearly off limits.

Well now that we're naming pens, I keep coming back to this one:

(If you don't want to click, it's a black ebonite with silver furniture Pearlette.)

Of course, one part of the 2012 was the exclusivity aspect -- Brian made no Pearls in 2012 in the materials he set aside for us. That might make black ebonite pretty much clearly off limits.

Nice pen.

Would consider if celluloid were a possibility... Brian?

"Well, at least being into pens isn't a gross habit. Like smoking or whatever."

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.

Would consider if celluloid were a possibility... Brian?

I wouldn't count on it. I don't think he can get celluloid in quantities suitable for this sort of project. Even in materials he can get in quantity, it needs to be available in dimensions that lend themselves to the pens being made. That's why last year he picked a selection of materials and we voted.

I would be in for most pens/materials with a couple of exceptions.

I would love to get a #76. Some favorites:

Tortoise Lucite

Red/Black ebonite

Black Rose Acrylic

I am also quite fond of the Morgan:

Green/Blue/Orange Ebonite

And the Extended Mina:

Tortoise Lucite

If you couldn't guess, I really like the Tortoise Lucite...

Pens I have no interest in: Pearlette or Beaumont. Anything outside of these two, I am probably buying in.

I love the Pearl - an extended one might be nice. The Morgan is a nice pen also. I love the shape of the Mina/extended Mina, but wish that it could be scaled up to accept a #6 nib :)

I'm really interested to see what comes of this!!!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!