The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

1958 Sheaffer Pfmi Review

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 22:26

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

#2 pavoni

pavoni

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 23:22

This is my favourite type of review: handwritten, with historical background, on a pen I was ignorant on.
Thank you very much for this super review Georges :clap1:

Pavoni.

#3 markiv

markiv

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 974 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:24

Nice review of a desirable pen. Are later PFM pens bigger than the first generation pens?
Posted Image

#4 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:15

Nice review of a desirable pen. Are later PFM pens bigger than the first generation pens?

Nope, they were all the same size.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#5 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 14:22

Hi Georges, thanks for the nice review. I inherited a minty PFM III. Everything about it was loveable, but for me the extra fine nib was unusable. Reluctantly I sold it. Anything larger than a fine nib comes a quite a premium, but if I ever run across a smooth medium or a broad I will buy it!

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 15:04

How does this compare with the earlier model Snorkels? I have a Snorkel Valiant I picked up a couple of months ago, but haven't used it for fear that the gaskets and/or sac need to be replaced.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 18:23

Hi Georges, thanks for the nice review. I inherited a minty PFM III. Everything about it was loveable, but for me the extra fine nib was unusable. Reluctantly I sold it. Anything larger than a fine nib comes a quite a premium, but if I ever run across a smooth medium or a broad I will buy it!

I have one navy blue pfmIII with an extra fine nib I don't use it because I prefer my palladium silver nibs even though it is smooth,it is not comparable to the palladium silver nibbed pfmI and II. A such pen is ideal if you do technical drawings or accountancy. The pfm inlaid extra fine writes like a true extra fine japanese nib. I used during two years my Navy Blue PFMII with a slightly flexible medium nib, now I am going to use daily my green PFMI with its fine medium nib. Consider that 255-275$ is a start for a fine nibbed PFM, for a medium one in perfect shape 280-350$, for a broad one 350-400$ and for the rare stubs or obliques made in palladium silver 400$-to +500$ is what you should expect

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 17 February 2013 - 18:23.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 18:26

How does this compare with the earlier model Snorkels? I have a Snorkel Valiant I picked up a couple of months ago, but haven't used it for fear that the gaskets and/or sac need to be replaced.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I think if the sac and gaskets were replaced by a profesionnal you shouldn't be worried to use it. My PFMII, my PFMII and my PFMI were all overhauled before I bought them. I have been using my navy blue PFMII during two years and it never let me down. Now I am going to use as much as possible my PFMI.

Sponsored Content

|