First Urushi Pen - Danitrio Vs Nakaya Vs Namiki

ArchiMark

I have 3 and a fourth is being made in Japan, Deco Piccolo Ao. Anyway, John does an incredible job with the nibs, nothing short of spectacular. My first was a silk smooth BB Stub/CI, second and Naka Ai soft M with flex, and the third my daily user by far my favorite is a Kuro Deco with a spectacular nib- a flexible left oblique cut from a BB with some elements of a cursive italic. Has a slight hint of tooth, but still very smooth yet responsive. I love them all and am very pleased with the nibs. You'll love it Mark its very well made.

Best,

Mike

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArchiMark

• ethernautrix

• peterpen53

• Soot

I have 3 and a fourth is being made in Japan, Deco Piccolo Ao. Anyway, John does an incredible job with the nibs, nothing short of spectacular. My first was a silk smooth BB Stub/CI, second and Naka Ai soft M with flex, and the third my daily user by far my favorite is a Kuro Deco with a spectacular nib- a flexible left oblique cut from a BB with some elements of a cursive italic. Has a slight hint of tooth, but still very smooth yet responsive. I love them all and am very pleased with the nibs. You'll love it Mark its very well made.

Best,

Mike

Sounds great, Mike...

Not familiar with the Deco you refer to...special finish?

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Well.....some news......

Received the beautiful Piccolo Writer today......and gave it a quick ink dip test drive as you can see below.....writes beautifully.....

However......as I feared, the pen is just a bit too short for my comfort.....if only the barrel was about 3/8" longer, it would be just right...

So.......contacted nibs.com and they are going to do an exchange for me to the Portable Writer. They will move the nice ruthenium CI BB nib and the fumigated clip to the new pen.

Kudos to nibs.com for being so gracious about the exchange....

Oh well...but figured given the outlay for this pen, might as well make sure that I'm really comfortable with the pen. Too bad, as I really like the overall shape of the Piccolo design.

Thought I'd share a few pics for fun.....will post some pics of the Portable after it arrives next week.....

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1050398_zps1131a4cc.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1050399_zps18dbea2e.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1050400_zps325046de.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/Nakaya-Piccolo-WritingSample-2-27-13_zpscd86aac8.jpg

Wow does it look great !!!!

Nice that they will exchange it for you...

What's sad is that's the pen I want. I have BIG hands and now fear it will be to small!

Ugh.....

You dident happen to take any comparison pics like with a TWSBI 540, Pelikan etc???

Wow does it look great !!!!

Yes, it does....

Nice that they will exchange it for you...

Yes, they are great people to deal with I've found...

What's sad is that's the pen I want. I have BIG hands and now fear it will be to small!

Ugh.....

You dident happen to take any comparison pics like with a TWSBI 540, Pelikan etc???

Take a careful look at the pen dimensions page on nibs.com. They list all the important dimensions....the Piccolo barrel is a bit shorter than my Hemi and Dumas, so, to me, that's pretty short....

I didn't ship pen yet, so, I can try and take a few comparison pics....won't be until Friday though....

It's a gorgeous pen. I have a Naka-ai Writer in Aka-tamenuri on order. If it looks like your Piccolo, I'll be ecstatic.

What a shame it's too small for you! I guess pen exchanges are still easier than hand-reduction surgery. I was thinking of a Piccolo as my next Nakaya. I was able to try it on for size at the SF Pen Show. For, me it was borderline too small but, I thought, usable.

David

You know, I thought it was a bit small when I first got mine, but after little adjustment period, I love using the Piccolo, and I don't notice that it's uncomfortable at all.

TheLong will definitely not be too short though, hooray!

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

In itself a very good choice, Mark. Beautiful pen. And the nib appears to be just like I would want it. Good to know how it compares to some other pens I like ...

Looking forward to seeing its replacement.

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Agree with the previous poster about the fun of swapping nibs on the DaniTrio pens. One of mine has an Omas nib and the other a Visconti.

Wish that this one was still mine. Photo is Kevin's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/tn_DSC06130.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/tn_DSC06133.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/tn_DSC06134.jpg

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

It's a gorgeous pen. I have a Naka-ai Writer in Aka-tamenuri on order. If it looks like your Piccolo, I'll be ecstatic.

What a shame it's too small for you! I guess pen exchanges are still easier than hand-reduction surgery. I was thinking of a Piccolo as my next Nakaya. I was able to try it on for size at the SF Pen Show. For, me it was borderline too small but, I thought, usable.

David

The Naka-ai Writer sounds great, David, should be similar color-wise I'd guess....

As for size.....wow! very creative, hadn't thought about surgery.... ;)

You know, I thought it was a bit small when I first got mine, but after little adjustment period, I love using the Piccolo, and I don't notice that it's uncomfortable at all.

TheLong will definitely not be too short though, hooray!

I think if it was about 1/4" longer that might be the case for me...oh well....

Not getting the Long, but either Portable or Neo-Standard....but either way, a bit longer....

In itself a very good choice, Mark. Beautiful pen. And the nib appears to be just like I would want it. Good to know how it compares to some other pens I like ...

Looking forward to seeing its replacement.

Thanks...will post some comparison pics and replacement pics.... :vbg:

Agree with the previous poster about the fun of swapping nibs on the DaniTrio pens. One of mine has an Omas nib and the other a Visconti.

Wish that this one was still mine. Photo is Kevin's.

Hmmmm.....you're tempting me.... ;)

Looks like a fun pen.....

:thumbup:

OK, as requested, here's some comparison pics for your viewing pleasure.....although not the greatest pics, but should give an idea of size.....please note that I aligned the tops of all the pens....hopefully, you can guess the other pens, but if not....just ask... ;)

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1050403_zpsdcb95e4b.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1050404_zps91862571.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1050406_zps53755326.jpg

When I see photos of others' Mb Hemingway, I get a warm feeling when I think, Oh, I have one of those! Such a great writer! (The pen. Also, Hemingway.) Look how nicely it pairs with the Piccolo!

The length of the Piccolo is a bit misleading, as when it's uncapped, it's noticeably shorter than, for instance, my Pelikans uncapped.

There is something simply appealing about the Piccolo.

I'm wondering if the Naka-ai would be a good choice for you, ArchiMark. Yes, the barrel tapers, and that might not be appealing, but the pen is very comfortable to write with.

etherX in To Miasto

Good points and thanks for your suggestions..

Was in a rush this morning, so forgot to take pics of pens uncapped...

Your right that short length of Piccolo is very noticeable when uncapped.

Looked at Naka-Ai but looks a bit too tapered for my tastes..

So, leaning towards the Neo-Standard now....

Unless, I just go to the other extreme and a full-size bat like a Mikado or Emperor...

;)

I know pictures can be misleading but seeing it next to the Hemi, the Piccolo may be short but it's not exactly slim, is it?

And great lineup , Mark!

Uhmm..., fourth from left? Omas Extra Lucens?

And I don't recognize the second from the right.

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

I know pictures can be misleading but seeing it next to the Hemi, the Piccolo may be short but it's not exactly slim, is it?

Yes, I noticed this too, Peter...Hemi is chunkier though....Piccolo barrel is not slim...it's about 1/2"+ diameter...

And great lineup , Mark!

Thanks!

Uhmm..., fourth from left? Omas Extra Lucens?

Good guess... It's the 75th Anniversary LE version, very handsome pen...

And I don't recognize the second from the right.

Would be surprised if you did as it's the custom pen I designed and Newton Pens fabricate...in very cool tortoise celluloid...

Great photos... Needed some unposted for comparison. It's not a pen to be posted and the size of it unposted is what matters...

Awesome awesome pen.. Even small I love it. Though it just does not look small at all.

Great photos... Needed some unposted for comparison. It's not a pen to be posted and the size of it unposted is what matters...

Awesome awesome pen.. Even small I love it. Though it just does not look small at all.

Thank you....

Unfortunately, was in a rush at work Friday morning, so, snapped a few pics and then packed up Piccolo and shipped it back for the exchange...

So, too late for unposted comparison pics....sorry about that......

While the pen may not look small, it is pretty short unposted....only 3.71 inches long from end of barrel to end of section....almost 1/4 inch shorter than the Hemi, which is about as short as I feel comfortable with....however, YMMV.... ;)

I took this photo with my smaaahtphone last month, forgot all about it. Looks like the Hemingway is even a bit longer uncapped -- didn't line it up exactly.

fpn_1362712951__i-20130302-pens_lengths.jpg

etherX in To Miasto

Thanks for posting the pic, ethernautrix.....

And yes, you're right the Hemi barrel is about a 1/4" longer than the Piccolo uncapped....just enough to make a difference...

Meanwhile, awaiting a Neo-Standard in Kura-tamenuri....might be April or May..... :mellow: