Writing In The Midori Travelers Notebook ?

frogbaby

the travelers notebook is my newest obsession

i am reading all that i can about it and i especially like the long and tall design of the regular size

i expect i will have around 4 notebooks within and i wonder how easy it is to write in with all those "sub-notebooks" ?

i get the concept of using bands to tie everything together but it appears as though the writing surface will depend on how well the notebooks sit on each other and so on (i hope this makes sense)

if you are using the TN do you find it easy to write in and does it lay flat enough to get a comfortable writing surface ?

i do love the design and materials but just am not certain how well it works in practice

i suspect it may be better for short bits of writing but not so good for longer pieces

any feedback would be appreciated

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogbaby

• Plume145

• bogiesan

• Ted A

I have the passport (the small size) so maybe with the big one things are different.

But my experience isn't very positive. I got mine because I had bought the monthly diary (undated version) early last year, and really liked the paper; I assumed that this was the paper they used so I bought the entire system plus extra refills, but it turned out it was not and instead the other refills used paper that was very different (and in my opinion, not as FP-friendly).

Other than the paper issue the biggest problem - that I could not fix by making my own notebooks and solutions like that - is that when it comes down to it having a big elasticated cord running down the middle of a thin staplebound pamphlet of a notebook really gets in the way something fierce. No matter how you turn things around, you always have a big bump near the spine, which means that your pen does not go smoothly over that part (especially an FP). I don't mind holding a notebook open when I write, but there's a difference between having to push an 80 degree angle flat into a 180 degree one, and having to hold an angle that's already wide, like maybe 120 or something. Maybe in a super-thick notebook that was, I dunno, 100 pages thick or something, you wouldn't feel it so much, but this isn't the case here. When fully loaded with the maximum shown in Midori's product photography - two notebooks (the thin ones too, not the big MD one) and the plastic pocket with a zip on one side and open pockets on the other - it was just really unpleasant to write in it. Like, as bad as a filofax of the same size with the big ole rings getting in the way, or close to that.

I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like the knot in the middle of the back cover, either, so I knew I was in for some DIY - at least that wasn't a negative surprise or anything. I did it, it turned out okay, but there was nothing I could do about the remaining hole in the back cover.

But for me, the kicker was putting all of those issues, bugs, and glitches together with the price this thing sells for, and with the fact that when somebody said around here that it's basically a rectangular piece of leather with holes in it, they really weren't kidding. When I looked at all of that combined, I felt like I'd been had like a dumb hipster lol (when clearly I am a smart hipster :P [<<oxymoron alert]). Anyway, what I bought cost about as much as I'd just gotten back from a really lame, thoughtless gift i had refunded, so at least it felt like I hadn't paid for the notebook out of pocket, which is some consolation, but still.

I'd encourage you to learn from my mistakes, and make your own cover using member comfortableshoes' lovely simple video tutorial. Pick the line of refills you will use, like moleskine cahiers or clairefontaine 1951s or banditapple or whatever you want, and size it accordingly. That way you get to try the Midori way, but at a fraction of the cost, and you get to choose your own size which could help offset some of the problems, and as a bonus you get to do a bit of diy which is good for the soul :-)

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

I have one of the regular sized journals, and personally I wouldn't put more than 3 notebooks as it gets difficult to fully open up the books. Currently I've got 2 in mine - a notebook and a half year planner from banditapple carnet, along with a plastic sleeve/pocket - and its getting rather full. I hold them together with the extra brown elastic that comes with the notebook. With this arrangement I can write quite comfortably and take notes in my notebook as it lays flat. The knot on the back doesn't bother me but you could take it out easily.

I'm in a bit of a bind. I would really like to have one of these. I like the weekly planner of the Regular sized MTN because it has the times in it but I would rather have the size of the Passport MTN. I keep going back and forth on them. I think I could make the cover easy enough I'm just not sure on which size.

I have the passport (the small size) so maybe with the big one things are different.

But my experience isn't very positive. I got mine because I had bought the monthly diary (undated version) early last year, and really liked the paper; I assumed that this was the paper they used so I bought the entire system plus extra refills, but it turned out it was not and instead the other refills used paper that was very different (and in my opinion, not as FP-friendly).

Other than the paper issue the biggest problem - that I could not fix by making my own notebooks and solutions like that - is that when it comes down to it having a big elasticated cord running down the middle of a thin staplebound pamphlet of a notebook really gets in the way something fierce. No matter how you turn things around, you always have a big bump near the spine, which means that your pen does not go smoothly over that part (especially an FP). I don't mind holding a notebook open when I write, but there's a difference between having to push an 80 degree angle flat into a 180 degree one, and having to hold an angle that's already wide, like maybe 120 or something. Maybe in a super-thick notebook that was, I dunno, 100 pages thick or something, you wouldn't feel it so much, but this isn't the case here. When fully loaded with the maximum shown in Midori's product photography - two notebooks (the thin ones too, not the big MD one) and the plastic pocket with a zip on one side and open pockets on the other - it was just really unpleasant to write in it. Like, as bad as a filofax of the same size with the big ole rings getting in the way, or close to that.

I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like the knot in the middle of the back cover, either, so I knew I was in for some DIY - at least that wasn't a negative surprise or anything. I did it, it turned out okay, but there was nothing I could do about the remaining hole in the back cover.

But for me, the kicker was putting all of those issues, bugs, and glitches together with the price this thing sells for, and with the fact that when somebody said around here that it's basically a rectangular piece of leather with holes in it, they really weren't kidding. When I looked at all of that combined, I felt like I'd been had like a dumb hipster lol (when clearly I am a smart hipster :P [<<oxymoron alert]). Anyway, what I bought cost about as much as I'd just gotten back from a really lame, thoughtless gift i had refunded, so at least it felt like I hadn't paid for the notebook out of pocket, which is some consolation, but still.

I'd encourage you to learn from my mistakes, and make your own cover using member comfortableshoes' lovely simple video tutorial. Pick the line of refills you will use, like moleskine cahiers or clairefontaine 1951s or banditapple or whatever you want, and size it accordingly. That way you get to try the Midori way, but at a fraction of the cost, and you get to choose your own size which could help offset some of the problems, and as a bonus you get to do a bit of diy which is good for the soul :-)

thanks plume, you have hit the points i had in mind perfectly ... it does appear as though you are paying for a 55 piece of leather (beautiful though it may well be) and some cord and a small notebook ... i can easily see how a TN that is loaded with stuff could become unwieldy to write in especially if one is expecting to open it up and have it lay flat and then write at liesure for a bit ... this seems more of a "jotting" and quick-note kind of notebook (which is perfectly fine) but not a longer form notebook ... i hate having to wrestle the notebook/journal open and lay on it to get a decent surface ... i think a simple diy leather cover and then a single or perhaps double sub-notebook insert will be the answer for me .., you really clarified my thinking on this thanks

I'm in a bit of a bind. I would really like to have one of these. I like the weekly planner of the Regular sized MTN because it has the times in it but I would rather have the size of the Passport MTN. I keep going back and forth on them. I think I could make the cover easy enough I'm just not sure on which size.

Make one of each. They would still be a lot cheaper

The Goulet's got them in last week and that just about tipped me over the edge, but I decided I wanted to watch Brian's video first. By the time I got home from work to watch it, they were out of stock. But then I really wanted one.

I went to Tandy leather last Saurday and bought a piece of shoulder leather and some dye for about $30. And some elastic at JoAnn fabric. I now have one TN cover about the size of the regular Midori and one cover for my Field Notes notebooks and I used less than half of the leather.

It might not be quite so nicely finished as the Midori, but I'm rather pleased.

If you do make one, I found that you have to add a fair amount of extra width to the cover because it narrows a lot when you put a notebook in it and fold it

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Nothing quite like the satisfaction of a do-it-yourself project, especially one that suffices and replaces an expensive brand name. Congrats on your success. Post photos sometime if you can.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I've gone the DIY route on this, making the Passport size, and it came out well. I keep three inserts (one graph paper and two blank) and, from the very beginning, have kept focused on the 'travel' part: it is not a replacement for my journal (B5 size) and it goes with me everyplace, in my hip pocket. Casual notes, ticket stubs, etc, and a ready set of blank pages for quick sketches. It doesn't take the place of journal or sketchbook, but it does give me more options for what I need to do (take a note) and want to do (sketch quickly when the mood/inspiration strikes). My next effort will be a larger size, though a bit wider than the larger Midori, that tucks easily in my camera bag, has more paper options, and still let's me sketch on the go. Some notes, sure, but it's about traveling, not journaling, and that, for me, means capturing the moment. Writing more than a quick note comes later. It's about sketching the moment, whether with word or ink/pencil marks.

I have the Passport size and love it. For the price a nice lunch for two or a couple of bottles of premium ink, I have something that looks like it will be with me for my lifetime. I can always re-string so each of the two notebooks I have in mine don't require the rubber band, but I haven't noticed an issue for writing, so I'm okay for now. I love all the optional additions made for it and it is truly a "system" with lots of user groups who have great ideas for it. I change the configuration for travel versus EDC and it's fun to use and play with, smells great, and gets compliments. I have made my own notebooks for it using HP Laser paper and others, so the notebooks can be very cost-effective. The $50 entry-fee might seem like a lot, but it's high-quality and since I've been into fountain pens I haven't noticed it being a real cost-saving hobby, so in the scope of what I spend on pens, paper, ink, etc., why not?

Of course, this not to discourage DIY work. I love to customize pens and nibs, etc. I just figure to make a Midori copy is going to cost $20 and my time worth more than the difference and the quality is top-notch.

Enjoy, - Mike

Edited by mikefromsac

i just stumbled onto this shop on etsy

wow, she is doing some very nice engraving on her covers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ZEALHOME?section_id=12847097

it's not clear to me what the sizes are though

she says:

:::SPECIFICATIONS:::

Link Size: 220*250mm

Color: Brown,claret,camel

Material: Top layer leather

i think she might mean that the leather folded flat would measure 220x250 which would make a folded notebook cover of 110x125 and would be closer to passport size

http://img1.etsystatic.com/015/0/7569128/il_570xN.413648493_ihsf.jpg

http://img2.etsystatic.com/016/0/7569128/il_570xN.413650350_4xwo.jpg

If you don't go the DIY route where as Ted A said, you can always make one of each, it might be best to base your choice on size rather than planner setup. I'm thinking that you can always do something about the planner setup - from the basic, work-intenstive solution of just adding in the times by hand (more excuse to use a FP yay!) to more elaborate solutions such as getting stickers made with the times (as in one long sticker with all the times, not just each time individually...that would be rather fiddly, might as well just write them on!). Or even a rubber stamp instead of a sticker! Both stickers and rubber stamps aren't that difficult or expensive to have made up (check in the custom supplies on Etsy, it's more likely than the usual office supply places because those are only used to customizing within some very specific parameters whereas on Etsy you can find people willing and able to make something from scratch).

But if you get the wrong size, that's something you can't work around - you just have to get a whole new cover.

thanks plume, you have hit the points i had in mind perfectly ... it does appear as though you are paying for a 55 piece of leather (beautiful though it may well be) and some cord and a small notebook ... i can easily see how a TN that is loaded with stuff could become unwieldy to write in especially if one is expecting to open it up and have it lay flat and then write at liesure for a bit ... this seems more of a "jotting" and quick-note kind of notebook (which is perfectly fine) but not a longer form notebook ... i hate having to wrestle the notebook/journal open and lay on it to get a decent surface ... i think a simple diy leather cover and then a single or perhaps double sub-notebook insert will be the answer for me .., you really clarified my thinking on this thanks

thanks! glad I could help :-)

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

I have 3 refills in mine and would not recommend using more. The other thing I will point out is that he pages are very narrow. If you have large hands or use big nibs you may not like it as much as you think. I am probably switching back to a wider format when I finish the current refill.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

the travelers notebook is my newest obsession

i am reading all that i can about it and i especially like the long and tall design of the regular size

i expect i will have around 4 notebooks within and i wonder how easy it is to write in with all those "sub-notebooks" ?

i get the concept of using bands to tie everything together but it appears as though the writing surface will depend on how well the notebooks sit on each other and so on (i hope this makes sense)

if you are using the TN do you find it easy to write in and does it lay flat enough to get a comfortable writing surface ?

i do love the design and materials but just am not certain how well it works in practice

i suspect it may be better for short bits of writing but not so good for longer pieces

any feedback would be appreciated

I got my first Traveler's Notebook a couple of days ago.

The first change I made was immediate: I turned it upside down. By that, I mean that I took out the notebook, and turned it 180 degrees, then put it back in. Why, you ask? Because of the way that the band that keeps the notebooks closed works. That band has a knot in it that sits on the side of the cover. Having that knot under my notebook pages was a show-stopper - there is no way I could write or draw anything in the notebook with that hump in the way. So I now have the knot on the inside of the _front_ cover. I only write/draw on one side of the page (otherwise, when I scan a drawing, the material on the other side of the paper shows through - that's true on any notebook I've ever used, including those with very thick paper). So I never have to write/draw on the 'bump' from that knot.

The best part of the notebook is the paper; it has tremendous rejection of ink penetration - no feathering, and no soak-through. I've tested this with _extremely_ wet pens, including a vintage Waterman wet noodle. I made great big globs of ink, and a half-inch in diameter (eyes on a cartoon character) and these did not soak through. They did soak a little bit, but nothing ruinous by any stretch of the imagination. This paper is thin, but really REALLY good paper with superb inking characteristics.

I would put up with any shortcoming to work with this paper, in other words. The simple reversal of the leather took care of the only issue I had with the notebook.

I only use one notebook inside at a time, so I am currently underutilizing this marvelous creation. I ordered some additional fillers and a pen holder; it will be interesting to see how well it works as I add functions like that. I have been working with blank paper (superb for drawing), and I got some grid paper. Ruled was out of stock, but I plan to pick up some of that as well. It may be that I can easily divide my work into sections simply based on the paper: blank for creative artwork, ruled for writing, and grid for engineering work.

The charm of this notebook, plus the quality of paper, pretty much override every other consideration. The good feeling of working with such wonderful materials is the entire reason I am happy with the purchase.

Ron Wodaski

<hr>

<a href='http://wodaski.com'>wodaski.com</a>

• 4 years later...

I had much the same experience as Plume145, with a slight difference -- I handled one in person and liked the materials so much that I bought one, only to find that it was great as a fidget toy and difficult to use as a notebook. It's just too blobby for me, like trying to write on paper that's balanced on an open wallet. I also found the tall, narrow format surprisingly frustrating. It looks so nice but I loathed writing in it. A costly mistake!

I now have both. I got a passport about a year ago and have had no problems with the paper, a mix of Midori and 3rd party. I have three books in mine, plus the plastic folder and that's the maximum I'd recommend. I've had no problems writing in it either, though I suspect that view might change later on in the third volume due to the knot.

I've now had a full size Traveller for about a month. I have a similar setup aside from all three books being Traveller brand, again all three are great with fountain pens. It might take more, but is a comfortable fill and I'd say the knot is far less of an issue with the larger size (I did experiment.

I have both sizes (bought one at Maido, San Francisco, the other from Goulet). First thing I did with both was to punch a new hole in the center of the spin and move the closure elastic. This puts the knot in a more convenient location.

The regular size is just odd; it doesn't really fit with anything else I've got in the way of notebooks , covers, pen holders, and binders. Which is also a great benefit: it's weird. I like that. The passport size is equally odd; it's too small to be useful for most writing or drawing tasks. Yet, again, the weird size makes it particularly attractive to me.

I must force self to carry them because I am a creature of habit and gravitate to my molies and molie clones. Plus, I have nice leather covers and pen accessories for the molies. The TNs require thinking differently and planning ahead.

I have a short stack of Goulet's replacement TR notebooks for each. Highly recommended. But I also use molie cahiers for the regular, takes a few seconds to trim them to fit.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I have the regular tall midori TN. It is different to use. Love the leather cover. I keep only one notebook filler in it. I write in it as a journal. Paste ephemera and photographs in it. If i could break old habits i ought to sell off the huge number of moleskine notebooks i have and just use the midori fillers.