The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Origins Of The Sheaffer Balance

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Clancy

Clancy

- Toasted Head -

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:05

Extremely well done! Many thanks Daniel, for your efforts that the rest of might enjoy the fruits of your engaging research. Fascinating stuff!

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Sponsored Content

#22 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,925 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 17:21

Good example of demonstrating that most ideas evolve instead of springing fully developed into complete form.

Edited by ANM, 08 March 2013 - 17:23.

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#23 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:52

I just read the Featherweight vs Lightweight article you did. Another great read!

#24 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• 4,583 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:27

I just read the Featherweight vs Lightweight article you did. Another great read!

Thank you very much! For those that missed it, here's a link to the "Featherweight vs. Heavyweight" article.

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#25 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:53

thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#26 Pensupply2000

Pensupply2000

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2015 - 16:33

Just thought I'd re-start this on. Came across this lovely pen. I believe it is a tele-dial model from reading the above. It has a desk taper as distinct from the dialer. It is threaded for the cap unlike the pure desk model. I believe the pens were sold with both dialer and taper. Beautiful writer with a smooth fine 5-30 nib. Measures 7.25 inches capped.

Attached Images

• IMG_2167.JPG
  • IMG_2168.JPG

#27 kirchh

kirchh

• Member - Gold

• 4,583 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 17:33

Just thought I'd re-start this on. Came across this lovely pen. I believe it is a tele-dial model from reading the above.

Not sure what you're referring to; the article concludes that there are no Sheaffer telephone dialer models. Can you clarify?

Your pen looks like a 5-30TCD. It was not sold with a "dialer" (as noted, there is no evidence for such a thing). It had a small end cap to make it a typical Balance-shaped pocket pen and a quill to convert it into a desk pen (as yours currently bears).

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

#28 RamonCampos

RamonCampos

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 20:08

Just thought I'd re-start this on. Came across this lovely pen. I believe it is a tele-dial model from reading the above. It has a desk taper as distinct from the dialer. It is threaded for the cap unlike the pure desk model. I believe the pens were sold with both dialer and taper. Beautiful writer with a smooth fine 5-30 nib. Measures 7.25 inches capped.

it was presented so in 1930:

Sheafffer_convertibles_Lazard.jpg

Here an example with its butt cap... and quill which has suffered many hardships.

Sheafffer_convertible_5_30_TCD_Lazard.jp

Edited by Lazard 20, 16 October 2015 - 20:19.

#29 kirchh

kirchh

• Member - Gold

• 4,583 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 20:20

Note that the cap on this pen is a little later, based on the clip style.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

#30 RamonCampos

RamonCampos

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 21:21

Note that the cap on this pen is a little later, based on the clip style.

--Daniel

Please note that my date refered correspond to how was presented in (June) 1930 Sheaffer´S catalog this model (not to material example from my collection that I present today here, much later from 1930).

But since your precise this other point and knowing its arc-top clip of my material example, outer lever pin (not inner ring lever), solid lever (not in "U") and "PATENTED" imprint perhaps you could to define more preciselly, and better than "a little later", its time.

Edited by Lazard 20, 16 October 2015 - 22:48.

#31 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:58

Please note that my date refered correspond to how was presented in (June) 1930 Sheaffer´S catalog this model (not to material example from my collection that I present today here, much later from 1930).

But since your precise this other point and knowing its arc-top clip of my material example, outer lever pin (not inner ring lever), solid lever (not in "U") and "PATENTED" imprint perhaps you could to define more preciselly, and better than "a little later", its time.

I suspect a more precise answer than 'a little later' is possible.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#32 Pensupply2000

Pensupply2000

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:45

Thank you for all the input. I would like to source a butt then, though I guess this will be near impossible.

I note my cap does not have a white dot either, maybe this also indicates a later example.

#33 RamonCampos

RamonCampos

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:30

I note my cap does not have a white dot either, maybe this also indicates a later example.

In this particular case that mount WD or not, Lifetime or 5-30 nib, doesn´t indicate temporality with others first Balance. This fountain pen is so, this is normal, 5-30TCD model ($5.00 + quill) don´t have Lifetime guarantee so don´t have WD on contrary that 74TCD model ($8.25 + quill).

Edited by Lazard 20, 17 October 2015 - 09:40.

#34 kirchh

kirchh

• Member - Gold

• 4,583 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 20:59

I suspect a more precise answer than 'a little later' is possible.

The peaked arch-top clip style appears on some models by mid-1930 (and possible as early as the beginning of that year), but it likely didn't make it to the cap type seen here until the spring of '31.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Sponsored Content

|