Cs Belliver Issue

arran

Mary,

Thank you for the response. At the least, it is heartening to hear that there is movement on the part of the company to address some of these issues.

Best,

Jon

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mary Burke

• RMN

• arran

• SignalboxCat

Hi Jon,

I always forward comments and reviews to the factory because I feel it is important for the UK to receive feedback - whether it is praise, ideas or QC issues.

This is one of the many reasons why having a CS forum has become such a friendly environment :)

Kind regards,

Mary Burke

I always forward comments and reviews to the factory because I feel it is important for the UK to receive feedback - whether it is praise, ideas or QC issues.

And while it is always my paramount endeavor to maintain that "friendly environment", the most important thing is not just that the commentary is forwarded, but that it is actually considered. If this is a one-way street, if your efforts to illuminate the factory regarding the issues end-users are experiencing end up in little or no action, we are all having a convivial party with no purpose save for enjoying each other's company. I very much want this to mean something.

J

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Ms. Burke,

What follows is offered with best intent, for purposes of truly constructive criticism. Please do not mistake my candor for rudeness.

The following two posts (in combination) were what you responded to, as JonSzanto quoted this post in his reply:

Hi Derek,

I spoke with the Operations Director and was told that they are looking into the issue. There is a senior management meeting next week and I will bring this to everybody's attention.

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

With the greatest of respect and politeness, Mary: this has still not been addressed, a month after the mention. I really wonder just what the point is - if you ask people for feedback, and you intimate that it will be communicated to the company but nothing ever comes back, even after this much time, wouldn't it be better to simply stop soliciting comments, suggestions, pleas for help and other input on a public forum like this? It is NOT giving anything remotely resembling a good impression of the company's consideration for their customers, and you appear caught in the middle.

In that context, your response is at best a little confusing. It enormously reinforces Jon's point though.

Hi There,

First of all, I apologize on behalf of Conway Stewart that the repair has not fixed the fault. A repair should remedy the issue without any further problems.

The repair issues were mentioned during the recent board meeting. New repair and QC forms have been created as a checklist before pens are dispatched from the factory in the UK. Additional staff training is also taking place.

Although I am based in Seattle, I am always here to help and give support for when you have issues or complaints. I may not always be able to respond on the same day, but I do try to check the forum on a regular basis.

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

While there are several grievances posted to this thread, this seems to indicate that you are not understanding or tracking them distinctly. My "issue" was only the problems I experienced with your product, cited in the review I linked earlier and offered as feedback. You acknowledged that, and related that you would pass it on to the operations director and share his response. However, your response to Jon (where he cited the actual issue) appears to be about another customers repair. This isn't an isolated incident, but I won't waste more space with other quotes citing other posts or threads.

The problem is that it gives one the impression of insincerity, and that you aren't truly concerned with the consumer. Whether it is or isn't the case is not relevant, and I'm sure you are well aware that perception is reality in this sort of business. I'm sure you are busy, but so are the rest of us and yet we manage to follow along with other posters' various pen experiences even though we have no financial interest in their satisfaction or lack thereof - and we manage this in many cases across numerous forums covering multiple topics of interest.

Conway Stewart has a subforum dedicated to the brand, which is an enormous advantage over its competitors. Adding the fact that a company representative personally address posts in it (as well as help moderate) is yet another leg up. However, it poses serious risk if not treated with correctly - and I'm afraid that the detrimental aspect is what I see as being realized rather than the benefits. To share a personal example: Where I considered giving your brand another chance and buying a new 58, I instead chose something else precisely because of my experience reading this sub forum and your input. It seems polished but glib, and swayed me away from the brand. Conversely I have received unsolicited PM's and emails from other vendors, simply thanking me for a purchase or review with the (apparently sincere) offer of being there if I ever need anything.

Again, please do not construe this as rude, harsh or unfair. It is intended only with best intent as I do have a soft spot for your brand and wish for it to be successful. Since someone will bring it up, I did consider sending this by email or PM; but ultimately decided to post it publicly so others might take it as an opportunity to cheer you on rather than "pile on". Some will of course choose the latter, unfortunately.

Regards,

D

Edited by dneal

Thank you for your response.

I am also a pen collector and share your frustration when pens do not work - QC issues, nib issues, ink flow issues, etc. I share your frustration and this is because I also share your passion for the fountain pen. I have many brands in my collection. Each pen has its own personality and I too have had to send pens back for re-work.

I am sorry if you feel that my response concerning the Conway Stewart QC issues was not sincere. Please believe me, that I understand your upset because, in an ideal world, there should not be any problems when a pen leaves the factory. There are going to be times when problems are over-looked and this is due to human error. However, that does not give any excuse for poor or lack of customer service when a pen has to be sent back to the factory.

I always keep the factory in the UK aware of your posts (positive or negative) and continually forward feedback from the FPN and messages I receive via email. I am not based in the factory so with this in mind it is not possible for me to talk to people to obtain immediate feedback and a report of their actions. I have again made the factory aware of the messages posted in this thread and hope to have a response from the operations director tomorrow.

The complaints posted are valid and the issues were brought to the director’s attention and mentioned in the board meeting. I am sure that having a vast reduction of models and colours will help to reduce the QC issues.

Thank you for giving me a chance to respond to your message, and I look forward to posting an update tomorrow (Seattle time) after I speak with the operations director at the factory.

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

I am sure that having a vast reduction of models and colours will help to reduce the QC issues.

This sounds a most positive move, I hope it achieves the desired results and it translates (eventually) into improved sales.

Hello,

Just to let you know that the operations director was not available today. I will call again tomorrow for an update.

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

You have totally hit the nail on the head. wth your post. Unfortunately however I don't have any impression that C-S is bothered in the slightest about these issues.

Update on where things are with the faulty pen I returned for replacement.

My meteor finally arrived back from C-S....... WITHOUT THE BOX AND PAPERS!!!!! :wallbash: It seems that the box/papers are currently parked with the retailer via whom I returned the pen, C-S obviously paying so much attention to remedying this situation that they sent the pen back direct to me in a plastic bag and didnt bother letting the retailer know.

So, whilst I now have a working pen, I have no box and papers. Goodness knows when I will manage to get those returned.

THESE PEOPLE HAVE NOT EVEN REFUNDED MY POSTAGE!!!!!

Where in all this does looking after the customer come? (No-where that I can see).

Not only was their first attempt at the pen a lemon, but the replacement (which out of fairness I should add does seem to work as is it supposed to although I only inked it last night and have not really written much with it yet) has no box/papers, the hassle continues and I am out of pocket on postage. That is shameful customer service to add to the original poor QC. Getting the return correct and perhaps adding a small token gesture like a bottle of ink to compensate for shelling out to have exchanged what was an initially faulty product would have cost them little and gone a long way to making me think that the management of C-S are actually bothered about their customers. I have now reached the conclusion they are not, so I will not be buying any of their products in future no matter how tempting they look. Just too much risk of a lemon and the ensuing hassle of sorting such things out.

To others who might consider buying from this bunch: Caveat Emptor!

To C-S: if you want positive postings on t'internet, might I humbly suggest dealing with your customers as if they actually mattered to you?

'Cat

Hi Cat,
The factory apologizes for sending your pen back to you, rather than to the retailer who had retained the presentation box and papers. They are aware that you are unhappy with the service and for having to pay postage and will be happy to reimburse your postage charge. Kayleigh Care will be back in the office next Tuesday and her contact details are: Tel; 01752 776776 or Email: kayleighcare@conwaystewart.co.uk Should you prefer for Kayleigh to call you, please send her a message and she will contact you to arrange the refund of postage.
I have also sent this message to you directly just in case you do not get a chance to check this thread.
With kind regards,
Mary Burke

Hi Cat,
The factory apologizes for sending your pen back to you, rather than to the retailer who had retained the presentation box and papers. They are aware that you are unhappy with the service and for having to pay postage and will be happy to reimburse your postage charge. Kayleigh Care will be back in the office next Tuesday and her contact details are: Tel; 01752 776776 or Email: kayleighcare@conwaystewart.co.uk Should you prefer for Kayleigh to call you, please send her a message and she will contact you to arrange the refund of postage.
I have also sent this message to you directly just in case you do not get a chance to check this thread.
With kind regards,
Mary Burke

Mary,

I have replied to your post- thank you for taking the time to reply.

I will be chasing C-S as at the current moment, as highlighted on later posts, the second attempt at the Meteor pen that C-S sent me was also faulty. This is now about not just postage for the first repair, but also about the fact that after the alleged repair/replacement, I STILL don't have a pen that is fit for purpose :wallbash: (and this is basic mechanical function here, not details that could be regarded as preference) and I am a few hundred quid out of pocket.

'Cat

"Relay"

SignalboxCat

speak truth unto power

'Cat,

Thank you for your post. I have responded to your personal message and hope you will have the time to reply.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Your pen should be in full working order, and without any issues with the lever fill mechanism.
Once I hear back from you, I will copy you into my email to the operations director and feel confident we will be able to work out an arrangement whereby the issues will be rectified.
I am sorry that your pen was not working as it should have been and await your response. I appreciate your patience and willingness to work with me and the team at the Conway Stewart factory.

Warmest regards,

Mary Burke