Pelikan M101N Tortoise

irish_monk

I was just refilling my M101N Tortoise. In the process the whole piston assembly came out; just plain ol' unscrewed. I screwed it back in and everything seems to work ok. I wrapped the back end in paper towels and will leave it overnight to check for leaks. Has this happened to yours? Am I worried over nothing?

Edited by irish_monk

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• irish_monk

• hari317

• mirosc

• The Good Captain

Top Posters In This Topic

This has never happened to me with Pelikans or any other pen.

How exactly did it occur -- when you were drawing ink into the pen did you just keep on turning the piston until it popped out?

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Just expelling the last little bit of ink and refilling. I didn't consciously "over do it" The mechanism seems to be threaded rather than friction fit like my other Pelikans.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

I was just refilling my M101N Tortoise. In the process the whole piston assembly came out; just plain ol' unscrewed. I screwed it back in and everything seems to work ok. I wrapped the back end in paper towels and will leave it overnight to check for leaks. Has this happened to yours? Am I worried over nothing?

It can happen although it has not happened yet on my M101N. I would suggest that you send it off to have it checked under warranty. If this were a standard pelikan souveran, I would have said don't worry, but with time the m101N parts esp. barrel etc. are going to be very hard to find.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

This had happened to my M800 clear demo. The whole piston came out when I unscrewed to have the pen inked. Despite trying to screw the piston back, the piston kept withdrawing out. I realised then that the piston thread was rather thin and worn (And it was a brand new M800 demo! This must be manufacturing defect.) I claimed for warranty and got back a new pen. I am not sure whether your situation is similar to mine but Hari is correct, please complain it to Pelikan under warranty asap.

There appear to be two flat sections either side of the piston end; visible once the filler know is wound out. To me, this says that it can be removed by the owner of whoever. I'm not suggesting that this is something Pelikan would recommend; just that it isn't necessarily a defect. Worth asking them though.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/pelikan_1931/imgs/1/8/18328bb6.jpg

More on the filler unit here link click on the image thumbnail for a larger view. The filler unit uses Left hand thread system so you move the spanner CW to loosen and CCW to tighten.

HTH.

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

IIRC, the M101n is specifically made so that you can disassemble the piston filler just like it is with the old model. Nothing wrong if it comes out, because it is made like that. If it were a M600/M800 I would worry.

Or have I misunderstood the question?

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

Nothing wrong if it comes out, because it is made like that.

Hi, it is not supposed to come out when the user is operating the pen. It should come out only when sufficient torque is applied using a wrench. Thus the OP's situation is abnormal.

It can happen although it has not happened yet on my M101N. I would suggest that you send it off to have it checked under warranty. If this were a standard pelikan souveran, I would have said don't worry, but with time the m101N parts esp. barrel etc. are going to be very hard to find.

I agree. Best to be certain and not have worries in the future.

Nothing wrong if it comes out, because it is made like that.

Hi, it is not supposed to come out when the user is operating the pen. It should come out only when sufficient torque is applied using a wrench. Thus the OP's situation is abnormal.

Ah, now I have understood. Indeed, that's not normal...

Greetings,

Michael

I had the same problem with the same model. I sent it to Pelikan and they change the pen. Now I try to be very carefull when filling the pen

Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I used the pen all day today with no ill effect. I emptied the pen and refilled it paying close attention to what I was doing. I wasn't using any unnecessary force; just expelling and filling like one normally would. When the knob was coming to rest against the barrel end it began to unscrew the piston mechanism. I sent an email to Chartpak regarding repair. Seems like a pretty big flaw for such an expensive pen. What's up, Pelikan?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Contacted Chartpak. Sending in this weekend. They will send it to Germany. Should be back in a couple of months.

Friedrich Nietzsche